The Student Room Group

Tesco paying Christmas Temps through Tuxedo prepaid cards?

I’m reading stories from the Telegraph where they reported that Festive Colleagues are being paid their wages through pre-paid cards that charge you to withdraw and close the card. Apparently people gave their bank details to Tesco but still received a Tuxedo card because Tesco wanted to avoid administrative fees.

I can’t seem to find any threads on this so I don’t know if this is true for anyone else. This seems to have only applied for this year’s Festive Colleagues.
Reply 1
Original post by jtets
I’m reading stories from the Telegraph where they reported that Festive Colleagues are being paid their wages through pre-paid cards that charge you to withdraw and close the card. Apparently people gave their bank details to Tesco but still received a Tuxedo card because Tesco wanted to avoid administrative fees.

I can’t seem to find any threads on this so I don’t know if this is true for anyone else. This seems to have only applied for this year’s Festive Colleagues.

This is usually only when the employee doesn't hold a bank account - it's easy to accidentally send a card out despite the new starter opting to be paid by BACS when you're dealing with thousands of new starters in a very short period of time.
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
it's easy to accidentally send a card out despite the new starter opting to be paid by BACS when you're dealing with thousands of new starters in a very short period of time.

Theoretically of course but when accidents do happen, what can you do when the team responsible for handling your wages refuse to respond? Make a formal complaint? How long will that take to get resolved?

I hope anyone working as a Festive Colleague this year can help with their experience (https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3086713-to-be-annoyed-by-being-paid-for-work-via-a-pocketmoney-card)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jtets
Theoretically of course but when accidents do happen, what can you do when the team responsible for handling your wages refuse to respond? Make a formal complaint? How long will that take to get resolved?

I hope anyone working as a Festive Colleague this year can help with their experience (https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3086713-to-be-annoyed-by-being-paid-for-work-via-a-pocketmoney-card)

Speak to your line manager if payroll aren't answering - a technical glitch could be impacting thousands of employees nationwide, so you must be patient. It doesn't make sense that they'd do this as a money saving exercise, as it would cost them more than just processing a BACS transfer.

Mistakes happen, stand your ground.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending