The Student Room Group

ICT A-level vs Computer Science A-level.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by korosensei
Are there no schools around you that offer Computer Science for A-Level?
Anyways, Further Mathematics is regarded as more useful than Computer Science for A-Level, nevermind ICT. But I wouldn't recommend ICT as an A-Level anyway.
I'm currently in Year 11 and I want to take Computer Science, Further Mathematics and Physics for A-Level.

You can't take further maths without maths.
Original post by Synchronous
You can't take further maths without maths.

Obviouslyyyy.
Anyways just take both since they're both difficult but they would both be useful for Computer Science. Remember that with Further Mathematics you can choose Decision Maths which is basically the Maths side of Computer Science!
Obviouslyyyy.
Anyways just take both since they're both difficult but they would both be useful for Computer Science. Remember that with Further Mathematics you can choose Decision Maths which is basically the Maths side of Computer Science!

Maybe you should have mentioned it then. There have been people who thought they could take further maths without maths.
Reply 23
Are there no schools around you that offer Computer Science for A-Level?
Anyways, Further Mathematics is regarded as more useful than Computer Science for A-Level, nevermind ICT. But I wouldn't recommend ICT as an A-Level anyway.
I'm currently in Year 11 and I want to take Computer Science, Further Mathematics and Physics for A-Level.

There is one other place that does offer Computer Science, but that's the only one. But of course, I can't apply to only one college lol
Original post by Tamrin
There is one other place that does offer Computer Science, but that's the only one. But of course, I can't apply to only one college lol

I would say Mathematics and Further Mathematics are more important than Computer Science if you want to go to a top uni (of course you would have to get top grades in those subjects), so as long as you choose those then you should be good. Computer Science would also be useful, just less useful than Further Mathematics (Mathematics is required at most places). But ICT wouldn't really be useful at all. Apply for the place that offers Computer Science, but make sure to apply for Mathematics as well, and Further Mathematics if you can handle it.
As I had said, I'm applying for Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Computer Science and Physics, and I plan on choosing those options at all of the places I apply to.

Quick Reply

Latest