The Student Room Group

Help, gcse aqa maths

URGENT******

Well, i'd like to think that Im good at maths, since getting constant Grade 8/9s in maths tests this year pre yr11 mocks...However, the mocks have been absolutely dreadful...with paper resulting in me getting 42/80 and paper 2 i'd think that i got max 47-49(If God wills..)
I was suprised to realise that paper 2 was last years GCSE paper 2... Any help on what i should be revising to get 60+ marks for Paper 3... I am talented at Maths but this sudden shock has been a massive blow to my confidence as i absolutely dread Maths tests in these Hall exam conditions! Thanks.
Original post by Dizzle12
URGENT******

Well, i'd like to think that Im good at maths, since getting constant Grade 8/9s in maths tests this year pre yr11 mocks...However, the mocks have been absolutely dreadful...with paper resulting in me getting 42/80 and paper 2 i'd think that i got max 47-49(If God wills..)
I was suprised to realise that paper 2 was last years GCSE paper 2... Any help on what i should be revising to get 60+ marks for Paper 3... I am talented at Maths but this sudden shock has been a massive blow to my confidence as i absolutely dread Maths tests in these Hall exam conditions! Thanks.

Don't try and find the paper - that won't help. Mocks are to help you find out which topics you need to work on - they are not the 'real thing'.

Think about which topics haven't come up ...
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Don't try and find the paper - that won't help. Mocks are to help you find out which topics you need to work on - they are not the 'real thing'.

Think about which topics haven't come up ...

Sorry- I'm not attempting to find the paper lol...I was just trying to compare how practice papers we do in school was totally different to that Paper 2...&&Perhaps are there any ways to differentiate between Paper 2 and Paper 3? to help with targeted revision
Original post by Dizzle12
Sorry- I'm not attempting to find the paper lol...I was just trying to compare how practice papers we do in school was totally different to that Paper 2...&&Perhaps are there any ways to differentiate between Paper 2 and Paper 3? to help with targeted revision

The practice papers (they say "practice set") use old spec questions which aren't really representative of the new spec. Fwiw some of my friends were sitting on similar grades to you in year 11 (?) and ended up with 8s/9s.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by _gcx
The practice papers (they say "practice set":wink: use old spec questions which aren't really representative of the new spec. Fwiw some of my friends were sitting on similar grades to you in year 11 (?) and ended up with 8s/9s.

What would you say then is a good way to get exam practice in the grrove of the actual GCSE style??

Quick Reply

Latest