need help in solving a problem in accelerated motion

Watch
=spencer=
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The metal plate is released from rest and falls a distance of 0.200m before breaking light beam 1. It then falls a further 0.250m before breaking light beam 2.
a) Calculate the time taken for the plate to fall 0.200m from rest (you may assume that the metal plate falls with an acceleration of free fall.)
b) The timer measures the speed of the metal plate as it falls through each light beam. The speed as it falls through light beam 1 is 1.92ms and the speed as it falls through light beam 2 is 2.91ms.
(i) Calculate the acceleration of the plate between two light beams.
(ii) State and explain one reason why the acceleration of the plate is not equal to the acceleration of free fall.
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by =spencer=)
The metal plate is released from rest and falls a distance of 0.200m before breaking light beam 1. It then falls a further 0.250m before breaking light beam 2.
a) Calculate the time taken for the plate to fall 0.200m from rest (you may assume that the metal plate falls with an acceleration of free fall.)
b) The timer measures the speed of the metal plate as it falls through each light beam. The speed as it falls through light beam 1 is 1.92ms and the speed as it falls through light beam 2 is 2.91ms.
(i) Calculate the acceleration of the plate between two light beams.
(ii) State and explain one reason why the acceleration of the plate is not equal to the acceleration of free fall.
What have you tried?
=spencer=
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
What have you tried?
i tried using the equation s=ut+1/2at^2 for the first one and the answer im getting is t=0.202. is it correct?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by =spencer=)
i tried using the equation s=ut+1/2at^2 for the first one and the answer im getting is t=0.202. is it correct?
I agree with that.
=spencer=
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
I agree with that.
thank you,
a little more help with the part b of the question.
so for b (i) i got (2.91-1.92)/0.226=4.38
is it correct?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads