What material do I use to revise required GCSE science content?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
k.n.h.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, I got a set of CGP GCSE Science revision guides to revise, but then in physics class when we were given 'AQA GCSE Physics Third edition' books to learn and answer questions from, I observed that there was some content which was covered in the AQA book, but not the CGP book, even though they're both made for the same spec. However, the AQA book was quite bulky... Which revision resource, any, has the minimum amount of information to answer any test question in the new spec? Or is it the AQA textbook itself?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kataali)
So, I got a set of CGP Science revision guides to revise, but then in physics class when we were given 'AQA Physics Third edition' books to learn and answer questions from, I observed that there was some content which was covered in the AQA book, but not the CGP book, even though they're both made for the same spec. However, the AQA book was quite bulky, and so, I searched for other resources I could learn from. I stumbled across the AQA site with the 'official specification'
(http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scien...2/introduction, click the pdf), which appeared to state the minimum information required to answer question on AQA Science (new spec), but it doesn't appear to have all the information to answer questions from the AQA Third edition book.... I'm confused. Which revision resource, any, has the minimum amount of information to answer any test question in the new spec?
the specification is what's used to write the exams. Not a substitute for the textbook of course but you can use it to identify topics you are weaker at. Can't really be much help as to resources though, unfortunately. I really just used CGP books and past papers.
k.n.h.
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
the specification is what's used to write the exams. Not a substitute for the textbook of course but you can use it to identify topics you are weaker at. Can't really be much help as to resources though, unfortunately. I really just used CGP books and past papers.
Oh, ok, thanks for the clarification! :thumbsup: But does anyone else know where to point me at in terms of resources that contain the minimum required content needed to cover the entire spec at AQA GCSE Science? I need to absorb the required content quite quickly and efficiently, which is why I'm stressing 'minimum required'. Thanks in advance!
username3225674
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One of the best things you can do is past papers. I would recommend doing them to enhance your knowledge and to cover the topics you are not familiar with.
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ is a great site where all the past papers/ mark schemes are found.
k.n.h.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Risotto301)
One of the best things you can do is past papers. I would recommend doing them to enhance your knowledge and to cover the topics you are not familiar with.
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ is a great site where all the past papers/ mark schemes are found.
Okay, thanks, but I was looking for a revision resource that covers all the spec, so I can apply the knowledge to effectively answer all questions in papers, for example, past papers, and using past papers as a primary resource, which my question is referring to, isn't going to cover all of the spec. Good help for giving a link to a past papers sites though, and I do agree that past papers are thee best way of enhancing learning!
AdHominem
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The CGP books tend to cover everything you'll need and in enough detail as well. If in doubt, check the specification - it's the best resource out there. The AQA book is probably a textbook; they tend to add unnecessary detail to bulk these out.
k.n.h.
Rep:
?
(Original post by AdHominem)
The CGP books tend to cover everything you'll need and in enough detail as well. If in doubt, check the specification - it's the best resource out there. The AQA book is probably a textbook; they tend to add unnecessary detail to bulk these out.
I guess I'll re-evaluate and compare the AQA spec to the CGP contents then....

EDIT: Silly me, I researched a little more, then I realized was comparing the whole AQA Third Edition textbook.... to a small CGP revision guide! My fault, I'll just request a delete of this thread since there won't be much people looking at this anymore, and create a new one with a new thread name and question entirely now.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (195)
14.39%
I'm not sure (61)
4.5%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.73%
I'm not a current university student (669)
49.37%

Watched Threads