The Student Room Group

How do you get over an ex? Can anyone relate?

I am now age 22, he's 24.

Around 8 years ago, we began a relationship. We were together for about 3 years. After that we seemed to get a little bored and the relationship ended, we were young and probably wanted to see other people. We were on good terms and have spoken every now and again since this.

In 2013/14 we even started seeing each other again but it didn't really last long and we moved on. We have each other on snapchat/other social medias.

My last relationship of 3 years broke down around a year ago and we began speaking occasionally and flirting. He met his current girlfriend a few months ago and they seem very happy together. seeing pictures of them together honestly breaks my heart.

I have a problem... I am in love with him again. and no, i'm not going to try and break him and his girlfriend up or come in-between them. I want to get over him and move on.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation as this? are you still in love with someone you haven't been with in YEARS or am i just a crazy woman haha. I feel as though I'm going to fall in and out of love with him for the rest of my life but can't bare to cut him out.

Thanks all.
You might just be missing the feelings you had when you were with him and not actually him. 8 years is a long time and you both must have matured within this time. People change and the person he was 8 years ago won't necessarily be the same person that he is now. I'm pretty sure you're just missing the feeling of him being around and the person you were when you were with him.
Reply 2
Original post by s1s9s9s5
I am now age 22, he's 24.

Around 8 years ago, we began a relationship. We were together for about 3 years. After that we seemed to get a little bored and the relationship ended, we were young and probably wanted to see other people. We were on good terms and have spoken every now and again since this.

In 2013/14 we even started seeing each other again but it didn't really last long and we moved on. We have each other on snapchat/other social medias.

My last relationship of 3 years broke down around a year ago and we began speaking occasionally and flirting. He met his current girlfriend a few months ago and they seem very happy together. seeing pictures of them together honestly breaks my heart.

I have a problem... I am in love with him again. and no, i'm not going to try and break him and his girlfriend up or come in-between them. I want to get over him and move on.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation as this? are you still in love with someone you haven't been with in YEARS or am i just a crazy woman haha. I feel as though I'm going to fall in and out of love with him for the rest of my life but can't bare to cut him out.

Thanks all.

Usually it's a case of being in love with the memories you had with someone which stops you from moving on. You never stop loving them, you just move on.

Yes I still love my first ex from when I was 12 (lasted about a year). I see her around college sometimes (we are both 18 now).
Reply 3
[video="youtube;--1LBnOcHhQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--1LBnOcHhQ[/video]

But seriously, I can relate. Honestly, what has helped me most is anger. Convincing myself, even though objectively it was quite a nuanced situation, that she was s**tty to me and that it's good riddance. This doesn't seem very possible in your situation given that everything was amicable, but I'd certainly recommend cutting ties with him. If that seems too harsh, I guess you ought to find someone new, I suppose; that's pretty sure to help you forget.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by math42
[video="youtube;--1LBnOcHhQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--1LBnOcHhQ[/video]

But seriously, I can relate. Honestly, what has helped me most is anger. Convincing myself, even though objectively it was quite a nuanced situation, that she was s**tty to me and that it's good riddance. This doesn't seem very possible in your situation given that everything was amicable, but I'd certainly recommend cutting ties with him. If that seems to harsh, I guess you ought to find someone new, I suppose; that's pretty sure to help you forget.

Haha love this sketch! Thanks! I find it hard to make myself angry because he is honestly the nicest guy ever. He did say a few awful things to me when he got with the 1st girlfriend after me but later apologised and said he didn’t mean it at all. I fall in and out of love with him a few times each year it’s so annoying!! Thanks so much for your message, I hope you manage to get over her totally as she doesn’t sound good for you x
Original post by Xopher_
Usually it's a case of being in love with the memories you had with someone which stops you from moving on. You never stop loving them, you just move on.

Yes I still love my first ex from when I was 12 (lasted about a year). I see her around college sometimes (we are both 18 now).

Yooooooo, you still see her around from when you were 12? Woooah

Quick Reply

Latest