Mathematical Proofing: integer/number proofing Watch

Asian Philly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I'm doing A level Edexel Maths and this is my first year and I'm having difficulty understanding what to do for these questions and how to prove them.
examples are:
1.Prove that every odd integer between 2 and 26 is either prime or the product of two primes
2.Prove that the sum of two consecutive square numbers between 1^2 to 8^2 is an odd number.
3. Prove that all cube numbers are either a multiple of 9 or 1 more or 1 less than a multiple of 9

Pleas give a full detail as to how you would start and show youve proved it, it would mean a lot
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Asian Philly)
Hi I'm doing A level Edexel Maths and this is my first year and I'm having difficulty understanding what to do for these questions and how to prove them.
examples are:
1.Prove that every odd integer between 2 and 26 is either prime or the product of two primes
2.Prove that the sum of two consecutive square numbers between 1^2 to 8^2 is an odd number.
3. Prove that all cube numbers are either a multiple of 9 or 1 more or 1 less than a multiple of 9

Pleas give a full detail as to how you would start and show youve proved it, it would mean a lot
Pretty straight-forward to just exhaust all these.

So for (1) you just need to show that the numbers 3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23 are all either prime, or a product of two primes. First step is to weed out all the primes out of this list, then deal with the rest as a product of two primes.

EDIT: Exhaust all of these, except (3) of course, forgot to mention. To prove (3), you need to consider what you get when you cube a general integer, and a general integer has either remainder 0, 1, or 2 when divided by 3.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i) consider the converse of this proposition.... if an odd number is neither prime nor the product of two primes then it must be the product of how many primes ?
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Asian Philly)
examples are:

For 3) I recommend using exhaustion by splitting it into 3 cases : numbers divisible by 3, numbers that leave a remainder of 1 when divided by 3 and numbers that leave a remainder of 2 when divided by 3.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.52%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (497)
59.24%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.42%

Watched Threads