d.2020
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Dear all,

I am due to start the IB course next school year and am thus in the process of choosing my options. I am aiming to study law at university in the UK/US.

My current picks are:

History HL
Maths HL
German A Lit HL
English A Lit SL
Physics SL
French B / Eco / Psych SL

I am deciding on what my third SL is going to be. I have read that, to study Law, there are no set subject requirements, but I don't know if a third language is too much, nor how hard Economics or Psychology are.

I am hoping for you to give me some advice if my current subject combination is suitable, and which subject I should pick.
Any help will be much appreciated!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're a talented linguist, then a third language is not a bad idea, however if not it's probably better to avoid. Languages are generally considered more work intensive than other subjects in general, especially if they don't come naturally to you, and as they aren't "related" languages so much (English and German a little, but perhaps less so than two Romance languages) it may be more work than it's worth.

You may want to consider dropping Maths to SL, as if you're planning to pursue Law either is acceptable, and HL Maths, while not quite the beast it was, is still considered very challenging particularly in the context of the broader IB programme, as you have a lot to fit in with limited time, and challenging exams. If you have decided against languages, then the choice between Economics and Psychology is up to you - which do think seems most interesting? I found IB Psych (at HL) extremely dull when I did it, however they changed the syllabus completely for the year after I did my exams, so the new syllabus might be much more engaging.
IBmandem
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you can do two language As, then French B SL will be a breeze. I think you can actually take the final exam at the end of year 12 so that in year 13 you will only have 5 subjects to worry about.

For Economics, it has a very similar syllabus to HL except it involves much less maths. There is no Paper 3 (quantitative methods) for Economics SL. Given that you take Maths HL, you would take economics HL instead of SL, or not at all.

Psychology is a subject that will make ToK a lot easier for you because the two are actually very similar. Therefore, I would advise that you take either French B SL or Psychology SL.
nunu10
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by d.2020)
Dear all,

I am due to start the IB course next school year and am thus in the process of choosing my options. I am aiming to study law at university in the UK/US.

My current picks are:

History HL
Maths HL
German A Lit HL
English A Lit SL
Physics SL

I am deciding on what my third SL is going to be. I have read that, to study Law, there are no set subject requirements, but I don't know if a third language is too much, nor how hard Economics or Psychology are.

I am hoping for you to give me some advice if my current subject combination is suitable, and which subject I should pick.
If you are good at languages, I suggest you take french B, as this is much easier compared to economics or psychology SL.
d.2020
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot for your insightful responses! In the end I decided to choose French B SL.
eMuires
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dont kill yourself with Maths HL. Languages at HL are a much easier jump from SL. And if you dont plan on doing maths later in life take SL or Studies
TiyaDM
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by d.2020)
Dear all,

My current picks are:

History HL
Maths HL
German A Lit HL
English A Lit SL
Physics SL

With law, normally the first thing uni's look at is how many points you have- so, choose the option you find easiest for the last SL. If you are good at languages then go for french. If you are interested in the other two you can ask your economics and psychology teacher if you can sit in one of their lessons so you can get an idea, or you can get the ib textbook from them- I did the same with psychology! Good luck!
d.2020
Rep:
?
Thank you for that advice. So would you advise me to drop Maths to SL in order to maximise points?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads