A2 Chemistry Dilema Watch

This discussion is closed.
MC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
So heres the thing, I am planning on re-sitting chemistry A Level as I received a C in August this year. The problem is, at my sixth-form, though they will allow me to retake the exams, I cannot attend the school for lessons etc. So, I have applied to take the exams at the school, and the school assumes I will be doing sole study by myself at home.

The problem is, though I can do this, I still think I need some sort or guidence in chemistry. My parents have suggested a private tutor, and though I will probably take this up, this will be no substitute for a full time teacher.

Now here is where I have the dilema, a college near me will allow me to enrol to do a fast track A Level course in one year, both AS and A2. The problem is, it is a different exam board from my schools one. I am thinking of using this college to give me tuition, and then at the last minute I would drop out so I wouldn't be taking the exams on that exam board.

Is it right for me to do this? Is there anything I should consider?
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mad Caddie)
So heres the thing, I am planning on re-sitting chemistry A Level as I received a C in August this year. The problem is, at my sixth-form, though they will allow me to retake the exams, I cannot attend the school for lessons etc. So, I have applied to take the exams at the school, and the school assumes I will be doing sole study by myself at home.

The problem is, though I can do this, I still think I need some sort or guidence in chemistry. My parents have suggested a private tutor, and though I will probably take this up, this will be no substitute for a full time teacher.

Now here is where I have the dilema, a college near me will allow me to enrol to do a fast track A Level course in one year, both AS and A2. The problem is, it is a different exam board from my schools one. I am thinking of using this college to give me tuition, and then at the last minute I would drop out so I wouldn't be taking the exams on that exam board.

make sure you have a copy of the syllabus for your exam board. Although the content of the course will probably be the same the empahsis might be different. Personally I would think that a personal tutor would be a better bet than studying for the wrong exam! Personal tuition goes at your pace so you might find you get more out of it, even though it is a shorter time.
MC
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
make sure you have a copy of the syllabus for your exam board. Although the content of the course will probably be the same the empahsis might be different. Personally I would think that a personal tutor would be a better bet than studying for the wrong exam! Personal tuition goes at your pace so you might find you get more out of it, even though it is a shorter time.
The two exam boards are similar, Edexcel and OCR, so course content shouldn't really be a problem, and at that, I could simply selectively learn in depth what I chose is appropriate to my exam board.

The problems with a tutor are that though it would be better, and more logical, to have one, I would need several hours teaching a week, for it to be of any use. At £35 an hour this will become quite costly.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The problems with a tutor are that though it would be better, and more logical, to have one, I would need several hours teaching a week, for it to be of any use. At £35 an hour this will become quite costly.
Do you live near a university, If you do you can get a student to teach you for less than that - even a postgrad (well I'd do it for less).
MC
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Do you live near a university, If you do you can get a student to teach you for less than that - even a postgrad (well I'd do it for less).
No, I live in suburbia. :eek:
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, I live in suburbia. :eek:
williams
Badges: 4
Report 14 years ago
could anyone help me on balancing the chemical formula of making potassium hydrogen sulphate

H2SO4 + KI --------> K HSO4 + I + H2O +H2S

please reply bakc quickly.

thanx to whom would like to help.
ouragon
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
are u sure you don;t get I2 not just I? this is AQA AS mod 2 stuff?
Asma_Here
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago

First of all, do think why you got a C in your result..Was it coz of your teacher?or was it your own schedule mis-management?
It's not a problem you can go anywhere you would like to but do see what whent wrong in your previous examination and dont go round in circles doing the same thing and ending up with the same result as ever..Do YOU need lessons?Why? WHAT Went wrong...?If it were for me, I would have made a check on everything before deciding where i want to go for my exams and all that...
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by williams)
could anyone help me on balancing the chemical formula of making potassium hydrogen sulphate

H2SO4 + KI --------> K HSO4 + I + H2O +H2S

please reply bakc quickly.

thanx to whom would like to help.
hmm you should make a new thread!
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Sorry i missed this, last year i was in a similar situation. I did OCR Salters and got an E. I re-enrolled at college doing AS/A2 in a year with a different exam board. I managed to go from an E to a C despite being in hospital during the year and i had a private tutor. I had a copy of the syllabus and ticked it off as i went along. It helped me a lot.
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

why won't a personal tutor be as good as a full time teacher? you don't have 35 hours a week of chemistry at school anyway. tutoring is one on one. ask your school who they recommend and maybe have a trial session with a tutor to see how you get on. if you still think you need lessons then see the college.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.24%
No (203)
72.76%

Watched Threads