Is Britain the least racist country?

Watch
Ladbants
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Obviously there are still some problems with racism in the UK, it's not perfect, but compared to the US and mainland Europe, it's much more acceptable for a non-white person or an immigrant from a foreign country or a person of recent immigrant descent to call themselves 'British' and actually be considered a part of the country, whereas in places like France and Germany immigrants are almost always considered 'others' and don't reach the high positions in society that people of recent immigrant descent in the UK do. For example, the mayor of our capital city is a British Pakistani Muslim, we have dozens of non-white people in Parliament, Indians and Chinese actually earn more on average than white British people. We don't see this in France. or Germany or Spain.

Also, as a tourist, I've experienced racism and hatred multiple times in mainland Europe, usually just rude comments from people who assume I can't understand the language, yet never in the UK or even the US.

Also, across European countries from France to Sweden, far right parties get shares of the vote that they'd never dream of getting in the UK.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ant-countries/

I'd say the only countries that even come close in terms of racial tolerance are Canada and Australia, although the latter has become markedly more islamophobic and xenophobic over the past few years. Some South American countries may not be racist in terms of attitudes among the population but still suffer from institutional racism.

And of course there's no need to even mention the Middle East, Africa, or South and East Asia. Racism there is far worse than anything in the West. Middle East uses Indians and Pakistanis as slave labour. In India and Pakistan darker skinned people and foreigners get abused. In East Asia no one from an immigrant background, with rare exceptions, can hope to achieve high positions in their career and are generally never accepted as members of the society. In Africa there is ethnic conflict and racism against whites.
James.Carnell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, only because other countries are so ****ing racist.
Trapz99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Definitely. It shocks me how racist countries like France and other mainland European countries can be. As you mentioned, the far-right parties in those countries get upwards of 20% of the vote sometimes, here even UKIP, liberal compared to parties like AfD or Front National, don't even have a single MP. Also in France, from what I've seen, there's a big non-white population but that population mainly works in blue collar jobs. Here, you can see people of immigrant descent as well as immigrants getting top jobs in medicine, law, banking and even politics. We have 51 Black, Asian and other ethnic minority MPs now. It's not really a hindrance to getting to the top.

I'd say, honestly, the US is more racially tolerant than a lot of mainland Europe.
James.Carnell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Trapz99)
Definitely. It shocks me how racist countries like France and other mainland European countries can be. As you mentioned, the far-right parties in those countries get upwards of 20% of the vote sometimes, here even UKIP, liberal compared to parties like AfD or Front National, don't even have a single MP. Also in France, from what I've seen, there's a big non-white population but that population mainly works in blue collar jobs. Here, you can see people of immigrant descent as well as immigrants getting top jobs in medicine, law, banking and even politics. We have 51 Black, Asian and other ethnic minority MPs now. It's not really a hindrance to getting to the top.

I'd say, honestly, the US is more racially tolerant than a lot of mainland Europe.
It really is not. The US is a dump.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads