The Student Room Group

Do I drop out for a second time?

Hi guys, I did exceptionally well at A-Level: 2 A* and 1A.

I did one term at Warwick uni and dropped out after 1 term, mainly because I didn't really like the uni.

I started again at Newcastle last year, currently in my 2nd year. However, for reasons I won't go into, my 2nd year was plagued by depression and anxiety. I spent nearly the entire year in my room and my attendance was about 10-20%. **** knows why the uni never asked me about it, studying History btw.

I never really made that many friends and never got involved at uni. Know about 2 people on my course. Although, I feel recovered from a lot of my depression now I feel like I've missed out on two of the best years of my life.

I basically just want to start again and write the past 3 years of my life off. Am I being stupid and naive? Is this actually a realistic and smart thing to do? I think I'd probably start again doing Law at somewhere like York.
I doubt you would quality for funding again for a 3rd full degree.

Perhaps ask your uni, you wish to take a year break at the end of this academic year

but make a real effort until the end of the year, just do as best as you can, try and get into a routine of doing x hours an evening.

Try not to dwell too much on what you have missed out on, its a horrible trap, as there will always be someone who had a better experience than you.

All you can do is ensure the future is ie tomorrow is better than yesterday.

Just remember, if you dont graduate with good grades, you wont be able to afford to party for the rest of your life
eventually it will take. my father would tell you I've never had any problems quitting anything in my life.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Do you mean funding for the actual 9k tutition fees themselves or my actual student loan? Fortunately, my family came into quite a bit of money when I was 16/17 so I never had to take out a loan, don't want to sound like a spoiled brat I've been state educated my entire life.
Original post by Linley_97
Do you mean funding for the actual 9k tutition fees themselves or my actual student loan? Fortunately, my family came into quite a bit of money when I was 16/17 so I never had to take out a loan, don't want to sound like a spoiled brat I've been state educated my entire life.

The actual funding the uni gets for you. 9k only represents some of the cost od a degree

You would have to pay international fees or possibly more as the max the govt funds is your normal degree length +1 year for retakes/transfer
Like other people say, the finance will be tricky. I'm in a similar situation to you- I don't enjoy uni but I couldn't finance another degree.

There's things to weigh up. Dropping out of uni several times could make potential employers question how reliable you are. Staying another year isn't all that long, with the right support do you think you could stick it out? On the flip side, you don't have any responsibilities yet like kids (I'm assuming) so why should you be stuck in something you don't like? I don't know if all people see it this way but personally I have more respect for someone who chooses to do what makes them happy and be bold and take risks, rather than someone who's miserable and just tolerates life.

Is uni the right thing for you? I'm the brains of my family too, I got good grades, since I was a kid it was just assumed I was going to go to uni and be successful etc etc. but it doesn't mean uni actually right for me. If you have a long term career goal that your degree will help you achieve then great, but if not then ask yourself why you're still there.

It really is a tough one- I've felt torn between being realistic and being hopeful. The whole idea pf dropping out and going on to discover something that makes you happy is very naive to some people. But if you don't try and change things, they're not gonna change. My parents always told me to do the sensible thing, get a degree and any job that pays. Like they did. You know where that got them? In their 50s, working jobs they hate just to pay off a mortgage on a house in an area they don't even want to live in. You've got to question how sensible these 'sensible and realistic' people are.

Take some time to think about what you want. I'm trying to find a placement related to my degree that looks enjoyable so I get a year off from being at uni and all the lectures whilst it still looking like part of my degree and like I'm being productive and purposeful. At the end of the day we can't tell you the right thing to do, it's totally personal, there is no wrong or right. Whatever you choose though, life goes on. Work out what's right for you and follow it.
Original post by hannah00
The actual funding the uni gets for you. 9k only represents some of the cost od a degree

You would have to pay international fees or possibly more as the max the govt funds is your normal degree length +1 year for retakes/transfer

The higher fees would only be a possibility if the OP had graduated and was embarking on a second undergraduate degree.
Original post by jelly1000
The higher fees would only be a possibility if the OP had graduated and was embarking on a second undergraduate degree.

I think OP would still have to pay higher fees for the last two years of his third attempt at a degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending