The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Langana
Has anyone noticed the ad for old court buildings in Middlesbrough says "preference will be given to local candidates" or words to that effect. Now employment isn't my area but I thought openly discriminatory (on any grounds) advertising wasn't allowed.

Probably allowed because locality isn't a protected characteristic. Also to my mind quite reasonable as, to put it delicately, they might get a lot of applications from people keen to do 12 months of pupillage but with no desire to stay in Middlesbrough longer than necessary.
Original post by RuthJnR
Hi guys, to those that have had an interview, where an essay Q was part of the application form, how was this addressed in interview please? Were you asked to expand on your views/discuss them? Challenged on them? Asked to argue to opposing side?

Thanks guys

Prepping for Matrix, I take it?:smile:
Original post by mjc1241
St Philips pre-interview, interview invites out. Anyone been to one before and know what they involve?

did you apply for crime or family ? congrats also!
Original post by sssssssspiwe

If this is re Matrix, my experience there is that they don’t refer to it and the interview is very formulaic around three set questions they ask everyone.

Similarly at second round no ref is made. That’s usually a piece of difficult stat analysis then CV questions.
Original post by mjc1241
St Philips pre-interview, interview invites out. Anyone been to one before and know what they involve?

Last year it was a very short interview. They have Chambers literally across from City library so to insist on a return trip to Birmingham for a seven minute interview is another matter.

They may ask you your opinion on something and then ask you to argue the opposite but otherwise its literally a pre interview where the questions are few and straightforward.
Original post by Kimberleyc28
did you apply for crime or family ? congrats also!

Crime, thank you and good luck!
Original post by Gisapupillage
Last year it was a very short interview. They have Chambers literally across from City library so to insist on a return trip to Birmingham for a seven minute interview is another matter.

They may ask you your opinion on something and then ask you to argue the opposite but otherwise its literally a pre interview where the questions are few and straightforward.

Brill, thanks
Original post by sssssssspiwe

You've got to love those Matrix apps. 'Please outline, in no more than 500 words, just how much you agree with chambers' adolescent left-wing politics.'
Original post by ModestHill
You've got to love those Matrix apps. 'Please outline, in no more than 500 words, just how much you agree with chambers' adolescent left-wing politics.'

I think that’s the first thing to make me laugh today!
Original post by Baxendale
Nothing short of disgraceful, in my opinion. If it's any comfort I expect your experience will be very rare and therefore hopefully it won't be repeated in further interviews.

If I am lucky enough to make it into the profession I will do whatever I can, in chambers, to ensure that prospective pupils DO NOT have an experience like yours. I'm sure everyone who reads this thread feels exactly the same. Times will change. As our generation takes a hold of the reigns, we will have the opportunity to put an end to such nonsense.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that interview but rest assured, you have our support.

Totally agree. Nobody should be treated like this. The profession is very respectable and has high standards attached to it, but it is no excuse to laugh at people.
It must be very frustrating after prepping for the interview and spending money commuting (if in a different city).
If/when I become a barrister, I will make it a priority to get on the pupillage committee and make sure things like this don't happen.
Original post by lizolove
Totally agree. Nobody should be treated like this. The profession is very respectable and has high standards attached to it, but it is no excuse to laugh at people.
It must be very frustrating after prepping for the interview and spending money commuting (if in a different city).
If/when I become a barrister, I will make it a priority to get on the pupillage committee and make sure things like this don't happen.

+1 to this!

Could not agree more. I feel bad just reading about this experience; goodness knows how mortifying it must have felt to actually be there. To have a horrible interview is one thing (and I definitely know that feeling), but to be openly belittled is bang out of order. I get that chambers might want to see how you work under pressure or in difficult/hostile conditions, but this is absolutely not an acceptable way of going about it.
Also, good luck to all sitting the Professional Ethics exam this afternoon! Hope it's less fiendish than in previous years.
Hi sorry to ask again but if anyone has any first round experience at KBW (Leeds) or Wilberforce Hull please let me know, or any second round experience at 7 Harrington Street :smile:

Anyone heard anything from Spire (2019), Harcourt Chambers, Atlantic or 15 Winckley Sq? Also waiting on 5SAH but as they were late last year I imagine they will be this year, but let me know if you've heard from them please!

Good luck to all in Professional Ethics today, I certainly don't miss revision for that exam!
Reply 1593
Original post by onedayihope
6 Pump sent email via gateway on 17 March, saying will hear w/c 26 March. It also emphasised that applications are for 2018 and not 2019, so only open if you will have completed BPTC by September 2018. Hope that helps.

Great thanks. 2 BR are out now.
Original post by Greatleysteg
+1 to this!

Could not agree more. I feel bad just reading about this experience; goodness knows how mortifying it must have felt to actually be there. To have a horrible interview is one thing (and I definitely know that feeling), but to be openly belittled is bang out of order. I get that chambers might want to see how you work under pressure or in difficult/hostile conditions, but this is absolutely not an acceptable way of going about it.

Agreed - there's a fine line between handling pressure and being rude. Chambers get rated for how good they are, but I feel like these things should also be noted in guides. So unprofessional!
DId anyone ask when we would hear from Cloisters or 39 Essex post first round (or already heard!)

Thanks!
Original post by Igorthepuppy
DId anyone ask when we would hear from Cloisters or 39 Essex post first round (or already heard!)

Thanks!

Second round for 39 Essex is after Easter. They are interviewing all of this week, so I presume we'll hear sometime next week.
Anyone here have any previous experience of QEB first round interviews?
Original post by Igorthepuppy

Thanks!

I've had a rejection via Gateway this afternoon.
For which one?

Original post by WaitingWondering
I've had a rejection via Gateway this afternoon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending