The Student Room Group

Cheap motorbike insurance for young riders - 17 and 23 years old? 125cc

How much do you pay for your motorbike insurance?

I am 23 years old (young rider) & I have got a 125cc motorbike (it is my first bike) . I have recieved various insurance quotes but i am wondering whether they are good or not?

Rampdale quoted me £728 (fully comp) with a £175 excess

MCE quoted me £721.45 (fully comp)

Carol nash quoted me £1,113 (fully comp) with a £300 excess
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
£65 for third party only for me and a mate on provisional licences with commuting. £300 excess. I'm 25 the other chap is 24, no no-claims.

Those quotes look very high to me, try getting an older bike and going third party only.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by udo183
How much do you pay for your motorbike insurance?

I am 23 years old & I have got a 125cc motorbike (it is my first bike) . I have recieved various quotes but i am wondering whether they are good or not?

Rampdale quoted me £728 (fully comp) with a £175 excess

MCE quoted me £721.45 (fully comp)

Carol nash quoted me £1,113 (fully comp) with a £300 excess

Those quotes seem fairly expensive for a 125cc at 23 years old unless you live in a very hgih risk area.

I've never made more than £300 a year but then again mine are only TPFT. I've never actually gone for Fully comp.

https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/

Is the place i use to find cheapest. It could just be with your area and fully comp that's the price. How much is the bike worth? It could be worth going TPFT if you can save hundreds and the bike isn't worth much...
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah loads of members are saying this place is ace for cheap motorbike insurance

https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
The bike is worth £2,500 i have no previous riding experience so this will be my first year. I live in decent area (frenchay, bristol). I think it might be because i am going fully comp. I got a quote for 3rd party only for £350 but i am worried that repairs would be expensive if i was unfortunately involved in a crash.
Reply 5
My 125 cost about £160 to insure for my first year, 3rd party fire + theft. No point going fully comp on most 125s as they simply arnt worth the money.

Now I pay £60 to insure :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by udo183
The bike is worth £2,500 i have no previous riding experience so this will be my first year. I live in decent area (frenchay, bristol). I think it might be because i am going fully comp. I got a quote for 3rd party only for £350 but i am worried that repairs would be expensive if i was unfortunately involved in a crash.

Look at the difference in prices if you were to go 3rd party only compared to fully comp.

If it is say £500 difference, plus the £175 excess = £675 extra for fully comp. Even on a £2500 bike this is a high % of value to be paying and assumes you'd totally write the bike off. With depreciation as well the % of value rises even more.

And, to be blunt.. If your bike were written off; you'd have much bigger things on your mind than the £2500..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
I've managed to get a cheaper fully comp quote on the bike insurer comparison website for £435
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by udo183
I've managed to get a cheaper fully comp quote on the bike insurer comparison website for £435

More like it!
Original post by udo183

Nice. That's a lot more reasonable and it'll drop a lot next year with no claims.
Right I'm a 17 year old male, I will be purchasing a motorcycle within the next 2 weeks.
But i heard that i can not start up my insurance (pay monthly) by myself without a co-signer, guarantor etc, as I'm under the age of 18.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
wat scooter u buying?
Derbi gpr 125cc, taken me time to decide that the derbi for me.

After weeks of failed deals eg...

won an auction for yamaha yzf r125, but after viewing the bike the chassis number did not match with the others so i had to walk away.

Two weeks ago i put down a deposit for a gilera sc 125, but the buyer still thought even with my deposit that he could sell the bike to someone else if they big higher, which he did :frown:. Got my money back though.
Shame you didnt get the YZF, great bike :smile: Afraid i can't help you with your question, but just incase you were wondering about price for insurance, on my YZF R125 when i was 17 my insurance was like £450.

Good Luck.
Original post by Jake McEwen
Shame you didnt get the YZF, great bike :smile: Afraid i can't help you with your question, but just incase you were wondering about price for insurance, on my YZF R125 when i was 17 my insurance was like £450.

Good Luck.

Just made me cry. I'm going to be paying £1500 for my insurance lol. After months of let down, I have pretty much got all the money saved for my insurance for the next 5 months.

Already bought a few things

Helmet: HJC CL-ST
Gloves: RST WP Tractech
Chain: Almax series 3
Thats a bit mental lol... you searched around much ? Ive always been with MCE Insurance so far over the last 3 years... always given me the best price, around £400 everytime. They usually come up on top of all the comparison sites.. but also I would say its worth giving them a ring, cos when I spoke to them on the phone, somehow they made it a lot cheaper the first time I was insured with them. The Derbi is pretty similiar to the YZF... is yours new ? mine was 2 years old, doubt age or value of bike makes much difference though compared to our age though lol
Original post by Jake McEwen
Thats a bit mental lol... you searched around much ? Ive always been with MCE Insurance so far over the last 3 years... always given me the best price, around £400 everytime. They usually come up on top of all the comparison sites.. but also I would say its worth giving them a ring, cos when I spoke to them on the phone, somehow they made it a lot cheaper the first time I was insured with them. The Derbi is pretty similiar to the YZF... is yours new ? mine was 2 years old, doubt age or value of bike makes much difference though compared to our age though lol

MCE :eek: they want over £5,ooo. I have made a few phone calls to the major insurers, but they either won't reduce the premiums or won't insure me. My next move will be to try and call the company 'bikedevil' who gave me the £1500 quote to try reduce the quote.
Wow lol

Good Luck!
Reply 18
Yes you won't be able to pay for it monthly as it's a "credit" item. Without a guarantor you will have to up the cost up front or wait until you are 18.
£1500 for a 125? I'd find that heartbreaking.

Hope you find a better deal than that.

Latest