The Student Room Group

Vet Med INTERVIEW PRACTICE QUESTIONS

VETERINARY MEDICINE PRACTICE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

It's clear from the threads being created lately that some people feel slightly unprepared for upcoming interviews. Interview prep can be hard to get, especially if you're the first person in your school/family to apply to vet school, so to help level the playing field a bit I'll be posting practice questions for people to try if they like :smile:

I'll post a new question three times per week (...or less, depending how lazy I am), and when I post a new one I'll comment on people's answers to the previous question and maybe pick my favourite :smile:

Note that these do not apply to any particular vet school; they're just similar to what I experienced when I had my MMIs. In no way are these official or endorsed by any university, they come from a bored vet student on a train journey :wink:

Rules:

In many cases there are no right or wrong answers! The point of this is to help you come up with justifications for your views. By all means enter into discussion with people you disagree with.

Please post your answers in spoiler tags so that other people can get a chance to write down their thoughts before reading other people's answers.

At this point it's not a competition, so it's perfectly fine if you need to Google anything/do further research before you answer. Obviously at interview you may be presented with ideas you have no experience of, so it might be good practice to try without using the internet first. Maybe write out an answer first, then anything you want to add after doing more research can be typed in another colour.

Don't be shy - we'll get more out of this the more people contribute!

Current Question: Question 2 and 3

Question Directory

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Question 1

This question looks at the treatment of animals in different parts of society and asks you to consider what is appropriate.

Look at the four pictures below. For each one, describe what you see, and state whether you think this is an acceptable treatment of animals, and for what reasons. Perhaps rank them in order of most acceptable to least acceptable.

Remember there are no right or wrong answers, I'm interested in what you have to say so don't be shy!

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Little Tail Chaser

VETERINARY MEDICINE PRACTICE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

It's clear from the threads being created lately that some people feel slightly unprepared for upcoming interviews. Interview prep can be hard to get, especially if you're the first person in your school/family to apply to vet school, so to help level the playing field a bit I'll be posting practice questions for people to try if they like :smile:

I'll post a new question three times per week (...or less, depending how lazy I am), and when I post a new one I'll comment on people's answers to the previous question and maybe pick my favourite :smile:

Note that these do not apply to any particular vet school; they're just similar to what I experienced when I had my MMIs. In no way are these official or endorsed by any university, they come from a bored vet student on a train journey :wink:

Rules:

In many cases there are no right or wrong answers! The point of this is to help you come up with justifications for your views. By all means enter into discussion with people you disagree with.

Please post your answers in spoiler tags so that other people can get a chance to write down their thoughts before reading other people's answers.

At this point it's not a competition, so it's perfectly fine if you need to Google anything/do further research before you answer. Obviously at interview you may be presented with ideas you have no experience of, so it might be good practice to try without using the internet first. Maybe write out an answer first, then anything you want to add after doing more research can be typed in another colour.

Don't be shy - we'll get more out of this the more people contribute!

Question 1

This question looks at the treatment of animals in different parts of society and asks you to consider what is appropriate.

Look at the four pictures below. For each one, describe what you see, and state whether you think this is an acceptable treatment of animals, and for what reasons. Perhaps rank them in order of most acceptable to least acceptable.

Remember there are no right or wrong answers, I'm interested in what you have to say so don't be shy!

I think this is a brilliant thread and don't want to leave it hanging so I'll give it a shot! :tongue: Thanks LTC!

P.S. I've wrote a load of rubbish but oh well x

Spoiler

Reply 3
Annnnd half my pictures didn't work :tongue: Ok bear with :lol:

I still can't see picture 3 but not sure if that's just me? Guessing from @eilidhhhh's answer it's some kind of trophy hunting picture? But would be very interested to know what picture 1 is in particular!
Great thread LTC :biggrin:
Reply 4
Thanks for starting this thread!! It looks like it'll be really helpful

Spoiler

I can't see picture 3 either so you are not alone!

Original post by luberry
I still can't see picture 3 but not sure if that's just me? Guessing from @eilidhhhh's answer it's some kind of trophy hunting picture? But would be very interested to know what picture 1 is in particular!
Great thread LTC :biggrin:
Gah, I fixed the pictures and then one of them went again. Sorry about that, it's back now! Yes it was trophy hunting.

Some good answers so far :biggrin: I'll make some comments and post a new question tomorrow :yep: Thanks for participating everyone!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by beccasb4

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 8
Original post by VMD100

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by eilidhhhh
I think this is a brilliant thread and don't want to leave it hanging so I'll give it a shot! :tongue: Thanks LTC!

Spoiler

Not answering question but saying what I think pic 1 is, it's under spoiler tags anyway just in case I don't want to ruin it for someone!

Spoiler

Original post by laurakyna
Not answering question but saying what I think pic 1 is, it's under spoiler tags anyway just in case I don't want to ruin it for someone!

Spoiler

Aw that's really interesting, thanks sm !!
QUESTION 1 SUMMARY

Apologies for the late update, here's my thoughts....

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by luberry
x
x
Original post by animalmagic
x
Original post by VMD100
x
Original post by laurakyna
x

(edited 6 years ago)
QUESTION 2

You are a vet working in a smallies practice. Mr. Fiver has bought in his rabbit, Bigwig, to see you. After an examination, you decide that Bigwig needs some drugs, but there are some steps you need to take before you can prescribe them.

First, you need to figure out how much Bigwig weighs. Thanks to Mr. Trump's regime, the entire world has recently adopted the imperial system again. Bigwig weighs 5.5lbs, how much is this in kg? (1.00kg = 2.20lbs)

Now that you know the weight to use, you consult a formulary to find out how much of the drug to give. You decide on the totally real and not made up drug Fakeicillin, for which the suggested dose is 50mg/kg twice per day. How much Fakeicillin should be given at each administration?

You decide to give the drug in the form of an oral suspension, which can be given by the owner at home. The product you decide to use, Notrealamox, contains 30mg of Fakeicillin per ml of solution. What volume needs to be given at each administration?

You tell Mr. Fiver that he needs to treat Bigwig for ten days, which he agrees to. Notrealamox comes in 50ml and 100ml bottles. Which of these is the more suitable product to prescribe?

BONUS QUESTION :awesome:
The 100% legit and real drug Fakeicillin is of course perfectly safe for Mr. Fiver's imaginary rabbit, but suggest why you would have to be very careful with giving oral antibiotics to rabbits.

Appreciate that this one is a lot less wordy than the last so will get answers for this up much quicker :yep: Remember to put your answers in spoiler tags!
^^^ The above question can be answered quickly, and I am not in the habit of letting you guys off lightly, so have another question....

QUESTION 3

You are the owner and head vet of a large animal practice. You employ multiple vets in addition to a couple of receptionists. While the practice has generally been quite successful, with more and more farms closing nearby you are starting to struggle to make ends meet, to the point where you are seriously considering having to lay off a member of staff.

One day one of the other vets comes back from pregnancy diagnosing at a large dairy farm and complains about how they were treated by a client. Later that day, you receive a call from the client, demanding that they don't want to see a 'vet like that' again (for the sake of the scenario say it was something sexist/racist/bigoted in some way). The client says that if you do not comply with their wishes, they will take their business elsewhere. You have absolute trust in your employee, who although has been graduated for only a few years has shown a very high level of competence in their work, but you cannot afford to lose such a regular client.

What do you do in this situation?
1. First, you need to figure out how much Bigwig weighs. Thanks to Mr. Trump's regime, the entire world has recently adopted the imperial system again. Bigwig weighs 5.5lbs, how much is this in kg? (1.00kg = 2.20lbs)

Spoiler

2. Now that you know the weight to use, you consult a formulary to find out how much of the drug to give. You decide on the totally real and not made up drug Fakeicillin, for which the suggested dose is 50mg/kg twice per day. How much Fakeicillin should be given at each administration?

Spoiler

3. You decide to give the drug in the form of an oral suspension, which can be given by the owner at home. The product you decide to use, Notrealamox, contains 30mg of Fakeicillin per ml of solution. What volume needs to be given at each administration?

Spoiler

4. You tell Mr. Fiver that he needs to treat Bigwig for ten days, which he agrees to. Notrealamox comes in 50ml and 100ml bottles. Which of these is the more suitable product to prescribe?

Spoiler

BONUS QUESTION :awesome:
The 100% legit and real drug Fakeicillin is of course perfectly safe for Mr. Fiver's imaginary rabbit, but suggest why you would have to be very careful with giving oral antibiotics to rabbits.

Thanks LTC!! :biggrin:

Spoiler

I'm going to play devils advocate and bounce things off some of these replies

Hi both, see my reply :smile:

Original post by eilidhhhh

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
^^^ The above question can be answered quickly, and I am not in the habit of letting you guys off lightly, so have another question....

QUESTION 3

You are the owner and head vet of a large animal practice. You employ multiple vets in addition to a couple of receptionists. While the practice has generally been quite successful, with more and more farms closing nearby you are starting to struggle to make ends meet, to the point where you are seriously considering having to lay off a member of staff.

One day one of the other vets comes back from pregnancy diagnosing at a large dairy farm and complains about how they were treated by a client. Later that day, you receive a call from the client, demanding that they don't want to see a 'vet like that' again (for the sake of the scenario say it was something sexist/racist/bigoted in some way). The client says that if you do not comply with their wishes, they will take their business elsewhere. You have absolute trust in your employee, who although has been graduated for only a few years has shown a very high level of competence in their work, but you cannot afford to lose such a regular client.

What do you do in this situation?

I am going to take a stab at this one:

The first thing I would want to do is ask my employee what happened at the farm from her perspective and what she thinks went wrong. I would also want to ask her why she felt she was treated wrongly and what she thinks could be done to resolve the situation.

I would then want to call the farmer and ask him what happened from his perspective, what he thinks went wrong, why he thinks it went wrong, and what he thinks could be done to fix the situation.

By talking to both parties and getting their perspectives, I could asses what happened at the farm and a possible resolution for the issue. Perhaps there was a simple misunderstanding that can be easily worked out.

If the problem is more complex however, I would want to ask the farmer if he would be comfortable with another vet coming to the farm, and I would want to make sure the previous vet is alright with this as well, as I wouldn't want to cause her to feel like her job was being threatened. Alternatively, I could suggest having the previous vet come back to the farm with supervision from me so I could observe what was going on. If this was decided upon, I would of course want to make sure my employee was comfortable with this decision as I want to make sure she feels comfortable and safe at work.

If we could not come to a resolution with the farmer and the my employee continued to feel abused, I would have to discontinue our working relationship with this farmer. While I have a responsibility for the financial well-being for my clinic, my first priority is protecting my employees and making sure they have a safe work environment.
Can someone check my answers for Q2

1) 2.34 kg
2) 117 mg
3) 3.9ml
4) 100ml
Original post by VictiniCup
Can someone check my answers for Q2

1) 2.34 kg
2) 117 mg
3) 3.9ml
4) 100ml

I got (along with a couple of others on this thread):
1) 2.5kg
2) 125mg
3) 4.2ml
4) 100ml

If you look at the spoilers on other peoples posts on here, they take you through how they got to these answers too if you're confused.