The Student Room Group

Security and Crime Science PS + general advice?

Hello from Romania. I've just turned 22 and I'm looking to start a whole new chapter of my life - and after visiting the love of my life in London for a week, I fell for the city. Hard. And I want to start uni there - been looking at UCL mostly, because of the Security and Crime Science course.

I haven't had a vocational, so to speak, moment in my life to help me decide what I want to study - or what domain I want to work in, or a certain drive for a subject - and I know that that should be part of the PS. I'm kinda slumped, wrote an intro about the subject, a paragraph about my school history and my contact with the 'world' of Security and Crime (even books I've read that are related), and now I just don't know what else I could add.

Also, language. Should I use elevated words as much as I can, or just go with my flow and replace a few of them, make it seem like I'm not trying too hard?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by robbe1911
Hello from Romania. I've just turned 22 and I'm looking to start a whole new chapter of my life - and after visiting the love of my life in London for a week, I fell for the city. Hard. And I want to start uni there - been looking at UCL mostly, because of the Security and Crime Science course.

I haven't had a vocational, so to speak, moment in my life to help me decide what I want to study - or what domain I want to work in, or a certain drive for a subject - and I know that that should be part of the PS. I'm kinda slumped, wrote an intro about the subject, a paragraph about my school history and my contact with the 'world' of Security and Crime (even books I've read that are related), and now I just don't know what else I could add.

Also, language. Should I use elevated words as much as I can, or just go with my flow and replace a few of them, make it seem like I'm not trying too hard?

Thank you in advance.

You don't need to have specific career plans. You also don't need to talk about your secondary school history. Remember that this is not a life story and your education will be on your application already so don't waste space in your PS. Focus on your academic interests in the subject and maybe about 100 words on extra curriculars through which you have developed relevant transferable skills. This is not a piece of creative writing either so stick to sounding like you so that it flows and please do not go at this with a thesaurus as it comes across very strongly. Resources are in my signature below :smile:
Reply 2
I'm back right now with some different questions. After high-school in my country, I have received a Baccalaureate diploma, and I have to have it translated - but the question is - does it have to be a simple authorized translation or a legalized one (by a notary)?

Others:
- I have to mention my grades in the PS, right?
- After submitting my application, what will my referee have to do? He/she will receive an email requesting to write a statement about me?
- Can anyone, like @alleycat393, take a quick look over my PS?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by robbe1911
I'm back right now with some different questions. After high-school in my country, I have received a Baccalaureate diploma, and I have to have it translated - but the question is - does it have to be a simple authorized translation or a legalized one (by a notary)?

Others:
- I have to mention my grades in the PS, right?
- After submitting my application, what will my referee have to do? He/she will receive an email requesting to write a statement about me?
- Can anyone, like @alleycat393, take a quick look over my PS?

Thank you in advance.

An authorsied one should do though contact your unis and ask as they will be best placed to advise.

You don't have to mention your grades in your PS as they will be on your application.

I'm not sure if it's before or after you submit your application but yes your referee will get sent an email asking for a ref.

Please do not send your PS to anyone you don't know on the internet or post it in the public forums. The PS review service is linked in my signature above as are our PS resources.
Reply 4
Alright, awesome, thanks for the answers!

I've also picked the rest of the Unis I'm applying to: Metropolitan, South Bank, Greenwich and City. Thinking of switching Greenwich with something else like Kingston - just to be sure that I'm accepted by one. There's nothing really outstanding I've accomplished throughout high-school, only a 9.58 grade in my Baccalaureate (Romania) exams, and I'm really scared that I won't be sent an offer by UCL because of that and the fact that I'm not really that good at Personal Statements. I'll give that sub-forum a try and send mine in for a review.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending