richard10012
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I did not realise how much a no deal will affect the EU and the UK. TV broadcasters, financial services and pharmaceutical companies may have to move some of its operations to the EU in order to carry out business in the EU. There must be businesses that are based in the EU that would want to carry on operating in the UK when the UK leaves EU. Will they have to move? Massive organisations can afford to have two hubs in the EU and the UK but smaller organisations in the EU and the UK will not be able to. What will happen in the future when other countries decide to leave the EU? Are any other countries thinking of leaving? The EMA is going to Amsterdam and the EBA is going to Paris. What about the smaller EU countries, why don't they get choose to host these agencies? Will the UK be able to sign other trade deals with countries? Is the UK attractive enough to trade with?
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Obviously the word "European" is in the two agencies moving out. Tbh banks and other businesses that rely on EU passporting rights should have planned to move out as soon as Cameron got the majority in 2015 and asked the EU to renegotiate membership. They should have known that the British people aren't easily bullied and would vote out given the chance
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Britain will still attract businesses because its going to be a cheap, low cost English speaking country to do business in. For most people, their living standards will fall and services like the NHS will get a bit worse because there will be less trade with the EU.

Companies like NIssan that relies on EU exports to be profitable will get secret government handouts to stay in place but a lot of small and medium sized firms without the same clout will get mired in extra red tape and face extra barriers like different standards. Some firms that are just about managing now will shrink or go under.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've moved this to UK Politics.
PilgrimOfTruth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by richard10012)
TV broadcasters, financial services and pharmaceutical companies may have to move some of its operations to the EU in order to carry out business in the EU.
Yep. Banks are already on the move. Fine, let them go. There will also be the issue of passporting to resolve. But it will all get sorted.

(Original post by richard10012)
What will happen in the future when other countries decide to leave the EU? Are any other countries thinking of leaving?
You betcha there are, but the tightly controlled media propaganda won't tell you that ! But get out there and talk to people in EU countries and the sentiment is VERY clear, they DO want out too. Spain, Italy etc.

The whole thing is a desperate side show at present. The EU is on the verge of collapse meaning not that it will collapse imminently but that the first dominoes are about to fall which will knock all the others down.

The EU plonkers are doing their level best to put on a brave face and convince everyone that they are making an example of Britain and that "no-one leaves the EU" without regretting it. It's all rather pathetic and the more rational out there can see that this "make 'em pay" mentality absolutely 100% underpins why Britain needed to leave the corrupt EU cesspit. It's a terrible bluff and serves only to highlight how far gone the EU has become.

Yes absolutely other countries want out. Problem is, are their politicians so deeply infiltrated by EU stooges ? Are the people strong enough to demand change, to demand referendums of their own?
Just look at how the EU did their level best to stop Catalonia having its independence referendum. This is an emerging totalitarian state.

Thank goodness we are leaving. Whatever pains and financial losses we must endure, we WILL endure them because the ultimate prize of freedom is worth 1000 times that. When the dust settles, the other 26 states will be very envious of Britain as they sit there under the cosh continually paying millions into the EU coffers. Have they managed to submit a proper set of audited accounts yet??! lol

username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
You betcha there are, but the tightly controlled media propaganda won't tell you that ! But get out there and talk to people in EU countries and the sentiment is VERY clear, they DO want out too. Spain, Italy etc.
I don't think it is clear cut. I think it is a mixed picture. One thing is for sure. The success or failure of Britain post Brexit will be a big maker of minds.

Wasn't there that report that said how several hundred sectors of British industry is going to fair post Brexit? I believe the government tried to prevent it from being made public. I wonder why?
PilgrimOfTruth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
The success or failure of Britain post Brexit will be a big maker of minds.

Wasn't there that report that said how several hundred sectors of British industry is going to fair post Brexit? I believe the government tried to prevent it from being made public. I wonder why?
If you were expecting BrExit not to "hurt" then you are fooling yourself TBH.

The UK being in the EU in the first place was little more than a forced "arranged" marriage. Brits never had a vote or referendum on joining and the subsequent referendum they got on whether to stay in was a complete sham with the electorate duped about it just being the Common Market.

You don't get to divorce such a partner without a lot of heartache and financial hurt. It is to be expected and we need to face it head on and say "bring it on" because being enslaved to a totalitarian federal states of Europe is far worse than suffering a limited period of austerity and financial difficult. Freedom is worth fighting for and it is a travesty that the British people have had to make this decision at all. The UK should never ever have gone into the EU in the first place, and it is nothing short of numerous acts of treason that have put it there.

Yes businesses will go out of business. Yes, our amounts of surplus cash for niceties will reduce. So we need to be resolved and stand firm and go through with it. Because on the other side of that fence is a world of freedom the like of which the other 26 member states will be forever jealous of.

The EU is absolutely desperate to make an example of the UK because it knows the fabric of it's sham control is crumbling and that other member states would also like to Leave. Talk to the Spanish people, the Italians, the Greeks, they all want out.

The Greeks in particular who were bankrupted, saw the EU bail out just it's chummy banksters and financiers leaving ordinary people to swing in the wind, many losing their life savings in the process.

I expect the divorce bill to be significant. It is what it is. Personally I'd be happy telling the EU to GTFO and go with "no deal" because I have no doubts that the UK would manage regardless. We WILL establish great trade deals with non-EU countries.

So, no point worrying about things. What will be will be. The point is we will be a free country. Few can claim such a privilege.
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)

Yes businesses will go out of business. Yes, our amounts of surplus cash for niceties will reduce. So we need to be resolved and stand firm and go through with it. Because on the other side of that fence is a world of freedom the like of which the other 26 member states will be forever jealous of.
What sort of ridiculous thinking is that. Why don't you just give me all your money? I mean - money ties you down right? You don't need it. And when you have no money or somewhere to live, you are totally free right?

I'm sorry but when you are out of work and unemployment is 10%+ you might understand how ridiculous what you have written actually is. You probably don't remember the press coverage of the 80s and 90s talking about how much red tape our nanny state was introducing, hitting the man on the street.

Freedom for our privileged parliamentarians to p1ss about on whatever vanity projects they like means nothing when you can't pay the bills.
stupolit
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As much as I wanted Britain to leave the EU and voted leave at the time of the refendun - I no longer want them to leave. Now that we can see the bigger picture I do believe that people like myself were greatly misinformed about what would happen if we voted to leave the EU.

The £350m going to the NHS ended up being complete ********! I believed it at the time, as my contract had just ended with the NHS and I was able to see first hand how the NHS was collapsing. But now the divorce bill is too high, and the future is greatly uncertain. Would without a shadow of a doubt vote to stay in the EU if I was asked to vote again - no doubt!
Liamw1998
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I voted to leave and am still happy with my decision. Continuing inside the EU would only have dragged us further in and increased any costs for leaving.

They want to try make an example of us but the truth is they need our trade and co operation as much as we need theirs. I agree we should never have joined in the first place.

And in relation to everyone being so shocked about the divorce bill, I'm no politician but having read up on it that seems like paying our fair share of EU liabilities, so all counties will still owe money at some point surely and it will only increase. And we paid £20B per year previously to be part of the union so is a one time bill of £40-50B really that extravagant?

I feel like the market and our position will solidify once the uncertainty comes to an end, the market is bound to become unstable when no one knows what will happen, it's how markets work (the media doesn't help with calming this at all).

I feel this is one of those things that isn't a big deal but then it's forgotten about pretty quick... if Europe can forgive Germany for WWI and WWII so quickly and it can rebuild to become the country it is today, I really don't see how we will have much trouble leaving a group of bullies.

I'm not against being a part of Europe, as some people seem to see this, I am against being part of the European Union. Is an organisation/business that has that much power over you and attempts to bully you like this when you try to leave, something in that you want to be a part of? Trying to strike fear in to other countries to keep Them in their control? I personally don't want a part of that and am happy to pay to get out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
36.75%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
10.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.27%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
24.79%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.38%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.55%

Watched Threads