The Student Room Group

is my CV any good?

My CV must be terrible as every place I send it rejects me! someone look over it and tell me how I can improve. I've been looking for a job since I turned 16 and I'm now almost 18 and had nothing. In my CV I've taken out things like my name and address etc and also the name of my school.Thank you!

"Personal Statement
I am an outgoing and well presented sixth year school student with an enthusiastic and dedicated attitude. I have the ability to work to achieve deadlines/targets on my own or as part of a team where my excellent communication skills and friendly nature make me a well liked and valuable member of any group. I am a fast learner and enjoy meeting new people and I feel that my existing skills and desire to help others will allow me to become a useful member of your team.

Key Skills
Communication: I am able to communicate very well with a wide range of individuals. As well as being well liked and respected by my school peers, I have helped support my school during information evenings where I was responsible for informing parents, children and teachers on many different aspects of mental health like how to deal with stress and signs of many mental health problems like depression and anxiety as I am mental health ambassador in my school.

Teamwork: I enjoy working as part of a team to achieve a common goal. I recently participated in training in my school on inclusion with disabled people where I learned how to change games and environments in order to suit people with disabilities. I worked with peers to complete and alter tasks and challenges to include everyone.

Planning and organisation: I take a structured approach to achieving my goals. This has been crucial in balancing the workload of my studies into manageable segments in order to help me achieve the best possible results in my schoolwork.

Dedication: I am a highly dedicated individual in both my academic and extra-curricular life. In school I am a maths champion and a paired reader for younger years where I teach numeracy and reading skills to help improve their academic life and hopefully help them become more confident.

Education
High School, 2012-present.

National 5 grades in English (A), History (A), Modern Studies (A), R.M.P.S (A), Mathematics (C) and Spanish (C) and National 4 in Geography.
I also received subject prize for R.M.P.S and Geography, meaning I did best in my year in those subjects.
I also have 2 highers which are English (A) and Modern Studies (B)
This year I am taking Advanced Higher English, Higher Politics, Higher R.M.P.S, and Higher Philosophy (results pending)
After sixth year I plan to attend Stirling University to study English Literature.

Work experience
Stirling council play bus: I gained valuable work experience volunteering with Stirling council, which I organised myself. During my time I worked with many different people as I set up games and other activities for a range of different children to participate in and enjoy. I encouraged children of all ages to be more confident in themselves by using my friendly nature to give them the best experience possible. I used my initiative and didn’t need to be instructed when completing tasks like organising equipment after use for other children, cleaning stations and making sure all children were comfortable and safe whilst in my care. I was able to work on my own and as a team with colleagues to provide the best experience possible for everyone I encountered.

These are all aspects that I hope to bring to the job if I am given the opportunity to become a member of you team."
I’m not sure why because I think your cv is as good as it can be. Maybe the problem is the places youre handing it in to. Start off asking for jobs cleaning dishes in restaurants or bars or temporary Christmas jobs as with your lack of experience you won’t get much better. Once you get one job you’ll not have a problem getting another one as they know you know what your doing.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for the reply and help. Everyone says finding the first job is hard and you need to be lucky but no matter what i do nothing happens.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m not sure why because I think your cv is as good as it can be. Maybe the problem is the places youre handing it in to. Start off asking for jobs cleaning dishes in restaurants or bars or temporary Christmas jobs as with your lack of experience you won’t get much better. Once you get one job you’ll not have a problem getting another one as they know you know what your doing.
I think as the above poster says, your lack of experience poses a problem when applying for jobs. Most employers will be looking for experience as it means they have to spend less time and resources training you. Try looking for more volunteering to boost your CV.

Looking at your CV, I feel it is too wordy and there is a lack of structure.

You want to list
1. Your personal details - name , address, email and telephone number
2. Qualifications
3. Work experience - rather than writing everything in sentences, you could bullet point key skills and duties. Try to make things more concise and to the point for the employer reading it.
4. Other achievements and interests
Original post by megzz23

That's not what employers are looking for in a CV at all. It doesn't matter what skills you have, they aren't going to read chunks of text like that. They want solid evidence of relevant skills, not a general description of the sort of person you think you are.

You might want to open a thread in the CV Help forum and get specific help in a private thread.
Cater your CV to the role you're applying for. Doesn't matter if you lack experience or certain qualifications, you should state how you will benefit THEIR company with the skills you currently have. Write this part in the opening paragraph.
Perhaps the fact that you're saying you want to attend uni and therefore they know you'll quit fairly soon and they don't want the bother of having to find a replacement?
Reply 7
i had my personal details on it, i just don't want to give them all out here so i left it out. i have my qualifications from school in it as well. thanks for the help!!!
Original post by cheesecakelove
I think as the above poster says, your lack of experience poses a problem when applying for jobs. Most employers will be looking for experience as it means they have to spend less time and resources training you. Try looking for more volunteering to boost your CV.

Looking at your CV, I feel it is too wordy and there is a lack of structure.

You want to list
1. Your personal details - name , address, email and telephone number
2. Qualifications
3. Work experience - rather than writing everything in sentences, you could bullet point key skills and duties. Try to make things more concise and to the point for the employer reading it.
4. Other achievements and interests
Reply 8
i did it to show i have goals in life in the hope that would look good. ahould i aadd that i hope to still be working part time during that? or leave it out altogether?

Original post by cazzers123
Perhaps the fact that you're saying you want to attend uni and therefore they know you'll quit fairly soon and they don't want the bother of having to find a replacement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending