The Student Room Group

Time for me to get the hint?

Can any facebook or tech-savvy people help me here?

I had deleted my facebook and then made a new account a while later.

I didnt re-add everyone again as I couldn't be bothered; some people re-added me but not all.

Anyway, there is a guy who things have been complicated with... we used to talk daily, and hed always reply to messages the same day; albeit a few hours later, and me the same.

Anyway 2 years later, he will often take 3-4 days to reply to a message, even if it isnt extremely long.

I didnt re-add him but he saw my 'contact request' on Messenger.

Anyway, once he hadn't replied for 4 days which I found strange for him. He told me 'sorry, I didn't see your message'.

This would happen every now and again but he'd often reply fairly quickly so I didn't think anything of it.

Anyway, he said that he 'didn't receive a notification' when I messaged him, as we weren't friends on messenger. So sometimes he 'didn't see the message.'

Anyway, this became more and more frequent, and he'd continue with the 'sorry I didn't see the message' line.

One morning, I just decided to ask him outright if he wanted me to stop messaging him, and that i'd understood if he didnt want to speak any more.

He replied 'Thanks for waking me up on my only morning off."

So I asked him how he could have seen my message if he didn't receive notifications?! Then he came out with some story of "My phone vibrates anyway" and "I receive the red '1' but I dont click on it as I think it's a virus.

I asked another friend who I only have on Messenger if this happened to her, and she told me that she always received notifications and saw my messages.

I've looked on the settings etc. on Facbook and I can't see anything... does it sound like he's lying to me about this or could there be any truth in it? I don't know why he just stops talking or tells me to stop messaging him etc. rather than lying every time...
Original post by Anonymous
Can any facebook or tech-savvy people help me here?

I had deleted my facebook and then made a new account a while later.

I didnt re-add everyone again as I couldn't be bothered; some people re-added me but not all.

Anyway, there is a guy who things have been complicated with... we used to talk daily, and hed always reply to messages the same day; albeit a few hours later, and me the same.

Anyway 2 years later, he will often take 3-4 days to reply to a message, even if it isnt extremely long.

I didnt re-add him but he saw my 'contact request' on Messenger.

Anyway, once he hadn't replied for 4 days which I found strange for him. He told me 'sorry, I didn't see your message'.

This would happen every now and again but he'd often reply fairly quickly so I didn't think anything of it.

Anyway, he said that he 'didn't receive a notification' when I messaged him, as we weren't friends on messenger. So sometimes he 'didn't see the message.'

Anyway, this became more and more frequent, and he'd continue with the 'sorry I didn't see the message' line.

One morning, I just decided to ask him outright if he wanted me to stop messaging him, and that i'd understood if he didnt want to speak any more.

He replied 'Thanks for waking me up on my only morning off."

So I asked him how he could have seen my message if he didn't receive notifications?! Then he came out with some story of "My phone vibrates anyway" and "I receive the red '1' but I dont click on it as I think it's a virus.

I asked another friend who I only have on Messenger if this happened to her, and she told me that she always received notifications and saw my messages.

I've looked on the settings etc. on Facbook and I can't see anything... does it sound like he's lying to me about this or could there be any truth in it? I don't know why he just stops talking or tells me to stop messaging him etc. rather than lying every time...

Depends onhis phone but my old one usedto be a bit like this. especially towards the end of it's life (r.i.p) so it is possible but...
With the responses that you get I would agree they don't want to talk to you anymore sadyl, when i used kik and line i got a fair few of similar responses like that so it aint just u.
Reply 2
thanks, I think he has an iphone but not sure... but yeah probably just hoping i'll get the hint.. dont see why he doesn;t just stop replying/ask me to stop like I said :frown: But I will now...
thanks, I think he has an iphone but not sure... but yeah probably just hoping i'll get the hint.. dont see why he doesn;t just stop replying/ask me to stop like I said :frown: But I will now...

Well confront them again, cant hurt to try but ask for a worthwhile answertho, thats my view anyway
Reply 4
he got angry when I suggested it so I don't think I will bother :? Think he doesn't like confrontation; I will just let him go...
He’s given you enough hints.
You didn’t have a proper relationship. Facebook friendship isn’t real
Let it go and find someone real
Reply 6
Original post by Sammylou40
He’s given you enough hints.
You didn’t have a proper relationship. Facebook friendship isn’t real
Let it go and find someone real

We have been friends for 2 years and I saw him a fortnight ago.. we did have a 'real' friendship; it's just that I don't get why he just tells me rather than making stupid excuses; it's childish..
We have been friends for 2 years and I saw him a fortnight ago.. we did have a 'real' friendship; it's just that I don't get why he just tells me rather than making stupid excuses; it's childish..

You intimated it was only Facebook
Either way, he’s told you in other ways already. If you want to, wait for him to contact you. If you keep contacting him he’ll just get really annoyed.
So I asked him how he could have seen my message if he didn't receive notifications?! Then he came out with some story of "My phone vibrates anyway" and "I receive the red '1' but I don't click on it as I think it's a virus."

While it's possible for notifications to be buggy (my phone does things such as vibrate when nothing comes through, or vibrating a second time for the same notification a few seconds later), this part is just completely ridiculous. There's no way a notification that has shown up on a big app is a virus, that doesn't even make sense.
Seems this guy may just be ********ting to avoid answering your question. I'm not good at understanding people, though, so don't necessarily take my word for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending