Dance theory exam 2018

Watch
Shannonjones16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Advice on revising for the dance theory exams on the new spec and answering the questions

chocolateoreo99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not sure on the new spec nor what level you are at so I can only give advice from when I did my GCSE dance theory.

Learn the set dances off by heart. I assume you still have these, make sure you know absolutely everything. Look up analysis of the movements, backgrounds, costumes, everything you can think of. Make mind maps, post its, anything to help these dances stick in your head. Make sure to watch them hundreds of times.

Make sure you are aware of all of the health and safety aspects of dance. Everyone seems to forget about revising this because it just seems like common sense but you never know what the exam board may put in to throw you off.

Don't let the practical element of the qualification distract you from the theory. Try and set aside a small amount of time every week just to learn key words or watch the set dances. The theory isn't super difficult, it just takes practice and revision.

My last tip is to do as many past papers as you can, from any spec. As yours is new you probably don't have many resources, so try and use ones from an old spec or another exam board. These will get yu used to the type and style of questions asked and hopefully make you more confident. Try and get a teacher to mark these.

ALSO do NOT forget about practicing longer answer questions because these can literally make or break your grade in the theory exam. We used to have a 10 marker which was a large percentage of our paper. Practice these when possible, even just in bullet points.

Best of luck to you!
Shannonjones16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thankyou!im good at the practical aspect but struggle on how to answer the exam questions , the set dances that I am doing are infra, shadows, a linha curva, artificial things and within her eyes
(Original post by chocolateoreo99)
I'm not sure on the new spec nor what level you are at so I can only give advice from when I did my GCSE dance theory.

Learn the set dances off by heart. I assume you still have these, make sure you know absolutely everything. Look up analysis of the movements, backgrounds, costumes, everything you can think of. Make mind maps, post its, anything to help these dances stick in your head. Make sure to watch them hundreds of times.

Make sure you are aware of all of the health and safety aspects of dance. Everyone seems to forget about revising this because it just seems like common sense but you never know what the exam board may put in to throw you off.

Don't let the practical element of the qualification distract you from the theory. Try and set aside a small amount of time every week just to learn key words or watch the set dances. The theory isn't super difficult, it just takes practice and revision.

My last tip is to do as many past papers as you can, from any spec. As yours is new you probably don't have many resources, so try and use ones from an old spec or another exam board. These will get yu used to the type and style of questions asked and hopefully make you more confident. Try and get a teacher to mark these.

ALSO do NOT forget about practicing longer answer questions because these can literally make or break your grade in the theory exam. We used to have a 10 marker which was a large percentage of our paper. Practice these when possible, even just in bullet points.

Best of luck to you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed