InGodiTrust
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Heyy I know we’re not allowed to discuss what is said at Cambridge interviews but for medicine there are two separate interviews. Does anyone have any idea why or what the structure of those interviews are like? Do they give you paper to work stuff out (for medicine specifically) and also if there’s any link online which throws more light on this please share.
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi :hi:
I've moved your thread to the Cambridge forum so you might get some more answers!
All the best,
Laura :awesome:
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by InGodiTrust)
Heyy I know we’re not allowed to discuss what is said at Cambridge interviews but for medicine there are two separate interviews. Does anyone have any idea why or what the structure of those interviews are like? Do they give you paper to work stuff out (for medicine specifically) and also if there’s any link online which throws more light on this please share.
I'd be surprised if they refused you paper. If they don't give you any to start with, ask for some.

Structure will be largely be up to the tutors doing the interview I'd say.
Peterhouse Admissions
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

The exact structure will vary between colleges but the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUwN6GI-0EQ gives a good idea.
InGodiTrust
Rep:
?
Thank you
Peterhouse Admissions
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Please note that the University does not endorse any third party organisation which claim to offer help or special insight into our admissions procedures. Such organistations do not have access to any information other than that which the University and the Colleges provide freely to all applicants. We do not expect candidates to undertake interview preparation and would caution any candidate of the risk of over-preparing for interview to the detriment of their current studies.
Peterhouse Admissions
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You might find this old thread of ours helpful:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3257001

It was a Q+A with experienced Medicine interviewers (including our Director of Studies) and has information about Medicine interviews. Make sure you watch the video posted above (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUwN6GI-0EQ) as well.
Ecds
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I really don't appreciate third party organisations hijacking these threads 😕
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Perhaps we can Accio! our kindly, genuine (past & preent) Cambridge medics and respected veterans of TSR.
I’m sure they’ll happily share their experience, knowledge and expertise, without charging you a penny.

Helenia
Chief Wiggum
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So sorry your thread was hijacked, I've removed those posts now. Best of luck with your interview at Cambridge

(Original post by Ecds)
I really don't appreciate third party organisations hijacking these threads 😕
So sorry, I've removed that content, please feel free to report any posts that are inappropriate in the future.
thewannabemedic
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I have got an interview at Fitz and was wondering if anyone had any advice/ words of wisdom/ last experiences specifically for my college??
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by thewannabemedic)
Hi, I have got an interview at Fitz and was wondering if anyone had any advice/ words of wisdom/ last experiences specifically for my college??
Hi, I've moved your post into this thread. There's some tips posted above
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by vincrows)
Perhaps we can Accio! our kindly, genuine (past & preent) Cambridge medics and respected veterans of TSR.
I’m sure they’ll happily share their experience, knowledge and expertise, without charging you a penny.

Helenia
Chief Wiggum
Why thank you!

I was interviewed a long time ago now, but from what I can tell, not a lot has changed (welcome to Cambridge ). Expect them to be science-heavy and include things you may not have covered in your A-levels. You may be given props of various kinds - microscope pictures, bones etc - and asked questions using those as a starting point. You might not know all the answers, which is absolutely fine, this is about seeing how you think scientifically!

As for the two separate interviews, this varies between colleges. At some, one is more science and one more personal, but at many, mine included, both are pretty sciencey and there were very few personal/non-academic questions. Good luck!
InGodiTrust
Rep:
?
Are we allowed to bring calculators to the interview and use them for their questions?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are we allowed to bring calculators to the interview and use them for their questions?
Probably no. Certainly not for an interview, but possibly for a pre-interview test if you have one*.

(*I don't know if any colleges have these for medicine, but they do for some other courses.)
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Probably no. Certainly not for an interview, but possibly for a pre-interview test if you have one*.

(*I don't know if any colleges have these for medicine, but they do for some other courses.)
I assume if they're planning to ask a question/s that'd need a calculator, they'd tell you if you need to bring your own calculator.
If they haven't instructed what to do, probably you won't need one or they have their own calculator for you to use because they don't want you to bring your own.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by vincrows)
I assume if they're planning to ask a question/s that'd need a calculator, they'd tell you if you need to bring your own calculator.
If they haven't instructed what to do, probably you won't need one or they have their own calculator for you to use because they don't want you to bring your own.
Yes true.
InGodiTrust
Rep:
?
“Don’t wear skirts?!”
I’m looking at some of the interview advice I got from a variety of sources including some Cambridge students and not wearing skirts seems to be on the list. I Cannot remember why. Is this actually a thing?
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
“Don’t wear skirts?!”
I’m looking at some of the interview advice I got from a variety of sources including some Cambridge students and not wearing skirts seems to be on the list. I Cannot remember why. Is this actually a thing?
No I don't think that's "a thing" lol.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
“Don’t wear skirts?!”
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
No I don't think that's "a thing" lol.
Probably because of the possibility of being interviewed in a comfy chair or sofa...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (37)
20.56%
Labour (88)
48.89%
Liberal Democrats (20)
11.11%
Green Party (14)
7.78%
Brexit Party (0)
0%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
1.11%
SNP (5)
2.78%
Plaid Cymru (1)
0.56%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (3)
1.67%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)