Cherrycheryl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m thinking of choosing maths, physics and biology for alevels. Is it too hard? And would it put me through too much stress?
ajayma
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That would be a lot of work but doable and it’s not a very wise range
ajayma
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
*wide range
Cherrycheryl
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajayma)
That would be a lot of work but doable and it’s not a very wise range
Why isn’t it a very wide range?
blootle456
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That is a very good combination. I’m currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. The workload isn’t as bad as I thought it would be, and it’s challenging yet enjoyable. Your combination will be hard work, but it’s good for later life and you should enjoy it
Cherrycheryl
Rep:
?
(Original post by blootle456)
That is a very good combination. I’m currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. The workload isn’t as bad as I thought it would be, and it’s challenging yet enjoyable. Your combination will be hard work, but it’s good for later life and you should enjoy it
Are physics and maths difficult at alevels?
blootle456
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cherrycheryl)
Are physics and maths difficult at alevels?
Maths is mostly fine; starts with extensions from GCSE and leads into some new concepts which are certainly challenging. However, not too bad, not as bad as I think some people think it is.
Physics is certainly a challenge, a lot of the new concepts are very difficult to get your head around, and you’ll find that it’s entirely new stuff, very little continuation from GCSE. However, it’s not impossible. Your teachers will guide you along the way and support you with every step, absolutely worth taking. Hope that helps
Cherrycheryl
Rep:
?
(Original post by blootle456)
Maths is mostly fine; starts with extensions from GCSE and leads into some new concepts which are certainly challenging. However, not too bad, not as bad as I think some people think it is.
Physics is certainly a challenge, a lot of the new concepts are very difficult to get your head around, and you’ll find that it’s entirely new stuff, very little continuation from GCSE. However, it’s not impossible. Your teachers will guide you along the way and support you with every step, absolutely worth taking. Hope that helps
Thank you very much! This was very helpful.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cherrycheryl)
I’m thinking of choosing maths, physics and biology for alevels. Is it too hard? And would it put me through too much stress?
It's a lot of hard work, but as long as you're willing to make the time to revise for those subjects, not only at school, but in your own time then you should find them alright. :yep:
Cherrycheryl
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
It's a lot of hard work, but as long as you're willing to make the time to revise for those subjects, not only at school, but in your own time then you should find them alright. :yep:
Thanks!
Lydia4512
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hiya! I currently take Maths and Physics A-Levels and both are really good subjects! Physics at A-Level is wayyyy more interesting than at GCSE, and although Maths is a little tricky at times, if you're a logical thinker and resilient, you'll do great.

All the subjects you've picked will open doors for you as they are facilitating subjects. Sure, all of them will be a bit challenging, but if you are willing to put in the work, it will be worth it in the end, trust me.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's not necessarily difficult - many students very successfully study 3 or 4 STEM subjects in combination.

Your combination is an unusual one (Chemistry/Biology and Physics/Chemistry or Physics/Further Maths along with Maths being the more typical combinations) but it's adequate if it suits your interests and aptitudes. There are a few courses that require that specific combination (such as BME at Imperial) or where it's useful (BME elsewhere that doesn't require chemistry, Computer Science/Maths if you're interested in Bioinformatics, etc), so it's not bad by any means.

If you're thinking you may eventually apply to Maths/CS you may wish to consider taking Further Maths, if even just to AS level. It's also very useful for engineering and Physics generally. However if you're more interested in Biology and related subjects I'd strongly suggest you consider swapping one of the subjects (probably Physics) for Chemistry, as Chemistry does underpin most of modern biology. Even if it's not required for the course, you'll almost certainly cover comparable chemistry content anyway, and it's easier to take it earlier in school when you have more individual attention and time to study the topics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (76)
14.56%
1 (70)
13.41%
2 (66)
12.64%
20.5%
20.69%
5 (95)
18.2%

Watched Threads