The Student Room Group

How much will Physical NatSci interviews focus on personal statements?

As said in the title, how much will the interviewers focus on personal statements? I am aware that they focus heavily on problem solving but I am unsure whether the amount of personal statement related discussion will be limited to a casual question to ease the nerves at the beginning, or longer lengthier chat.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Quarkboi
As said in the title, how much will the interviewers focus on personal statements? I am aware that they focus heavily on problem solving but I am unsure whether the amount of personal statement related discussion will be limited to a casual question to ease the nerves at the beginning, or longer lengthier chat.

Hardly at all.
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Hardly at all.

Thanks for your response!
Reply 3
Very much so
From what I've heard, very little. Which is unsurprising - the fact that you read a pop science book (for example) and it inspired you to consider a career in the area, while commendable, tells them nothing of your actual aptitude for the subject(s).
Reply 5
I don't think I got a single question about my PS from any of my interviews to be honest, although it may vary college to college.
Reply 6
Update for future candidates who may stumble upon this thread: I got asked absolutely nothing on my PS. This may vary college-to-college, but I think the fact my interviews were labelled as 'Subject Interviews" signaled the fact that they were fully focused on problem solving. Perhaps in a General Interview they ask about the personal statement?
Reply 7
Original post by Quarkboi
Update for future candidates who may stumble upon this thread: I got asked absolutely nothing on my PS. This may vary college-to-college, but I think the fact my interviews were labelled as 'Subject Interviews" signaled the fact that they were fully focused on problem solving. Perhaps in a General Interview they ask about the personal statement?

It can be used as a topic starter in a Subject Interview, not just a General Interview.

It's best to assume it might be used - just in case :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending