Laraib Chaudhry
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, this question is about enthalpy.
I am aware that exothermic reactions release energy and is bond making so the enthalpy change is negative, whereas endothermic reactions absorb energy and is bond breaking and the enthalpy change is positive. According to enthalpy diagrams, for exothermic reaction, the enthalpy of the reactants is higher than that of the products, and I get that its because heat energy is lost to the surroundings, hence the increase in temperature. However, why is it that in an exothermic reaction, the sum of the bond enthalpies of the products is higher that than of the reactants? Does it mean that there are stronger covalent bonds formed in the products of an exothermic reaction?
Arctic Kitten
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, think of reaction as the process of achieving a stable state. The reactants are unstable, they got loads of energy so they try to lose energy (exothermic) to form stable products.
Laraib Chaudhry
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arctic Kitten)
Yes, think of reaction as the process of achieving a stable state. The reactants are unstable, they got loads of energy so they try to lose energy (exothermic) to form stable products.
But why is it that in an exothermic reaction, the sum of the bond enthalpies of the products is higher that than of the reactants?
Arctic Kitten
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bond enthalpy = energy to break bonds. Higher enthalpy means it harder to break bonds (it is more stable). Hope it clear up
Laraib Chaudhry
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arctic Kitten)
Bond enthalpy = energy to break bonds. Higher enthalpy means it harder to break bonds (it is more stable). Hope it clear up
Thanks! But I thought that the products have lower enthalpy in exothermic reactions?
Arctic Kitten
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because enthalpy=bond broken-bond made
bond broken en. is smaller than bond made en. so enthalpy of reaction is negative.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?