The Student Room Group

Cambridge Interview

I’ve been invited to a Cambridge interview for PBS. Does anyone know anything I can do to prepare?
Original post by PreciousSapphire
I’ve been invited to a Cambridge interview for PBS. Does anyone know anything I can do to prepare?

Have you had a practise interview with your school?

Generally, the idea of these interviews is that they try and make it so that you cannot train students to pass them (as this would simply bias against non-private school kids who won't get all the oxbridge training).

I'd focus on doing some wider reading around the subject- your most likely to be asked about something you've mentioned in your personal statement. It might also sound impressive if you can cite something very recent on the topic as it shows you're really interested. But again i wouldn't worry too much about it as you may well get asked about something completely random! I would probably brush up on your knowledge of research methods as these kinds of questions come up a lot (this book is quite good: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Research-Methods-Statistics-Psychology-Coolican/dp/1444170112/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511787663&sr=8-2&keywords=research+methods+psychology) but skip over the statistics parts you won't be expected to know which kind of statistical test to use, the general conceptual stuff will be most useful.
Original post by iammichealjackson
Have you had a practise interview with your school?

Generally, the idea of these interviews is that they try and make it so that you cannot train students to pass them (as this would simply bias against non-private school kids who won't get all the oxbridge training).

I'd focus on doing some wider reading around the subject- your most likely to be asked about something you've mentioned in your personal statement. It might also sound impressive if you can cite something very recent on the topic as it shows you're really interested. But again i wouldn't worry too much about it as you may well get asked about something completely random! I would probably brush up on your knowledge of research methods as these kinds of questions come up a lot (this book is quite good: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Research-Methods-Statistics-Psychology-Coolican/dp/1444170112/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511787663&sr=8-2&keywords=research+methods+psychology) but skip over the statistics parts you won't be expected to know which kind of statistical test to use, the general conceptual stuff will be most useful.

Ohhhh wow! That was super useful. Thank you !

Quick Reply

Latest