The Student Room Group

What should I focus more on? My physical health or my A-Levels?

I rarely do work outside of school, as I usually would get any work that I have done within school, alongside with having no work ethic outside of school.

However, I would always stay after school from Monday to Thursday. Our school has a gym that we are allowed to use, but I've been using the past few months to study Maths after school. I'm not in the best shape, hence why I'm contemplating as to if I should use the gym after school, or just to continue on with my revision.

A middle ground may be good, such as one day revision, and one day maths. However, is two sessions at a gym per week worth it if I'm looking to lose weight? Or would it be more beneficial to focus for my future career?
live longer or be richer
Original post by multishane999
I rarely do work outside of school, as I usually would get any work that I have done within school, alongside with having no work ethic outside of school.

However, I would always stay after school from Monday to Thursday. Our school has a gym that we are allowed to use, but I've been using the past few months to study Maths after school. I'm not in the best shape, hence why I'm contemplating as to if I should use the gym after school, or just to continue on with my revision.

A middle ground may be good, such as one day revision, and one day maths. However, is two sessions at a gym per week worth it if I'm looking to lose weight? Or would it be more beneficial to focus for my future career?

You don't need the gym to lose weight. Excercise doesn't really help you lose weight. At best, two sessions per week would help you lose about 1kg every 6 weeks (and that's assuming 1hr sessions and working real hard at 700kcal/hour). Many people subconsciously compensate for excercise by eating more, so you may not be benefitting at all weight-wise. That said, it's good to do some excercise for fitness.

I would recommend doing maths after school, sorting out your diet and doing other forms of excercise in your spare time. The gym is not the only option.
Reply 3
If your health is affecting you negatively on a day to day basis then its best to focus on that. However, if its not a serious problem then I would focus more on my studies but I would still find the time to do some exercise.
Original post by multishane999

A middle ground is not a bad idea, if you enjoy using the gym by all means carry on, though improving your diet is the most important thing for losing weight. It will be tough in the beginning, so baby steps are the key - e.g. do you eat a lot of unhealthy snacks and/or drink a lot of sugary drinks? can you find any alternative options to replace them? could you walk to school if you don't already?

Quick Reply

Latest