Family history of neurological disorders

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Two of my uncles from my dad side of the family have problems relating to the brain. One of them has had amnesia and the other had a brain damage. Sadly, they died last year within 2 months of each others death. The only medical problem I'm aware of from my family side is that I have a cousin who has severe autism.

Me personally, I have mild depression. I'm concerned whether I'm likely to get any kind of neurological diseases like the ones my uncle had. Are you more likely to get any kind of neurological problem if your dads side has it or your mums?
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Two of my uncles from my dad side of the family have problems relating to the brain. One of them has had amnesia and the other had a brain damage. Sadly, they died last year within 2 months of each others death. The only medical problem I'm aware of from my family side is that I have a cousin who has severe autism.

Me personally, I have mild depression. I'm concerned whether I'm likely to get any kind of neurological diseases like the ones my uncle had. Are you more likely to get any kind of neurological problem if your dads side has it or your mums?
It depends on the condition. A lot of conditions have or are believed to have increased risk when family members have it because of genetics, but some do not have this extra risk. Some will also be more likely in women than men, if you dad had it vs your mum etc. Basically genetics are super complicated and can play a role in any number of ways or not at all.
There's no use worrying yourself over it (although I can see why you would be worrying about it given recent events). If you are concerned you might be at extra risk it could be worth you talking to your GP about your concerns so they can explain it to you and, if necessary, do screenings.
From what I know though these are all different conditions that aren't necessarily linked. Although they all involve the brain i doesn't mean they share any genes or other causes. It could easily be a nasty coincidence.

So yeah do feel free to have a chat with your GP about it to check what's what, but try not to worry over it. Even if you are at increased risk it's still only an added potential. You could still never experience anything like it. And it's not worth the stress it causes you since there's nothing you can do other than check with your doc.

I hope that helps. Sorry for your loss.
G-Sci
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Honestly you’re better off not even knowing. It tends to be neurogenerative disorders that have genetic links, but even then the data isn’t definitive.
There are lifestyles changes that are recommended to help reduce the risk of developing such conditions so maybe research and follow them?

I have very complex neurological complications, no one else in my family does!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (68)
42.24%
They're exactly what I expected (36)
22.36%