AQA Unseen Critical Appreciation of a Passage

Watch
MorgzC
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So as most of us know taking the english lit course, unseen is a really annoying section. I honestly have no idea what I'm meant to do and I don't get how I can do well if I don't know anything about the novel it's from or the author or whatever and even if I can find a few quotes, I have no idea how to turn it into more than a couple marks... Any tips would be really appreciated. Like when presented with the question, where should I start? How should I structure it? What am i meant to be even writing? (Our teacher hasn't helped at all - hence I've fled to student room)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MorgzC)
So as most of us know taking the english lit course, unseen is a really annoying section. I honestly have no idea what I'm meant to do and I don't get how I can do well if I don't know anything about the novel it's from or the author or whatever and even if I can find a few quotes, I have no idea how to turn it into more than a couple marks... Any tips would be really appreciated. Like when presented with the question, where should I start? How should I structure it? What am i meant to be even writing? (Our teacher hasn't helped at all - hence I've fled to student room)
Is this GCSE? If so.

Which paper and what question?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruffs-Guid...AFYY0P7V91044H
MorgzC
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Is this GCSE? If so.

Which paper and what question?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruffs-Guid...AFYY0P7V91044H
No, it's A-levels: write a critical appreciation of the passage relating your discussion to your reading concerning women in literature.. our teacher hasn't give any guidance at all and we're all stuck
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Have you looked at past papers and mark schemes?
You will also get further examples in text and revision books written for your spec.

I think it is 2A?
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...12-SP-2015.PDF

Mark scheme example

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/engl...ment-resources
666Bigger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You need to focus mainly on language, form and structure, which makes up 75% of the total Assessment objectives. Not only ths, but you also need to have a coherent and flowing answer, examiners check whether you have an argument by reading the first sentence of each paragraph, so make sure that in each of these first sentence you are making a point that can be worked upon within the rest of the pargraph. Do not try to contradict yourself too much through the essay, make you argument clear and precise. Lastly, try to link the text to other texts you have been reading from the same period (like themes and some context). This will show your understanding in the broader sense. For example, I am reading American Novels, e.g. Great Gatsby and Age of Innocence, my unseen critical appreciation is on American Literature 1880-1940, so I can link some of the themes that arise in those texts to the themes in Gatsby and Age of Innocence. But remember, IF IN DOUBT LANGUAGE, FORM AND STRUCTURE IS THE ROUTE!
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you ever did the reformed GCSE English language specifications, then you will know how to tackle this. The exact same skills that are fostered in that course are transferable to here.
Last edited by Tolgash; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads