Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm applying for a Foundation Degree in Veterinary Nursing through Ucas and obviously need a reference. Unfortunately all my teachers direct me to the only English speaking one in my school, and he refuses to write it. He said he's too busy and not familiar with the process, so I should write it myself. He entered his details and 3 lines of a reference lol:

Broad minded independent student with perfect knowledge of English. Diligently develops her skills and abilities in the field of her interests. Active extra curricular practice in veterinary clinic.

Should I send it wit the 3 lines, or write one by myself? And if the second option, could someone please help me? I'm worried that if I write it myself it'll resemble my own style too much and they'll recognise and cancel me

I know English, German and French, volunteer weekends in a local practice, my Matura (equivalent to A levels) has modules in Polish, English and Biology.

Any opinion/help will be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that we don't know you lol

Maybe ask your friends some points about what makes you a good student

ReputationRep:
    You should ask one of the Polish speaking teachers to write you a reference in Polish, and then have it officially translated into English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YellowFeather)
    You should ask one of the Polish speaking teachers to write you a reference in Polish, and then have it officially translated into English.
    Yes. Good idea

Even you must speak both languages, but if you don't think you are good enough to translate it you can have it done professionally (online, or offline).

There is always the chance you will get caught writing your own reference... so I would get them to write it instead

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind UCAS can contact your referee (they did mine, applying as independent) to verify it. If you write stuff that your apparent referee has no clue about, you'll be caught out...

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to write it, my teachers want me to! The Polish teachers said they're busy and won't do it and he told me to write anything I like lol... So if they contact him he'll say he wrote it. But I'm worried that if I do, the writing style of the PS and reference will be a bit similar.

Will they reject me if my reference is just this:
    Broad minded independent student with perfect knowledge of English. Diligently develops her skills and abilities in the field of her interests. Active extra curricular practice in veterinary clinic.

It's what he wrote and said if I don't like I can do anything I want with it., but I'd rather leave it at that. I exceed entry requirements and believe to have a strong PS, is reference really that important?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh if that's all he will write, then maybe that is probably what you should send. Maybe you could contact your universities, explaih he will not write any more, and ask what they suggest.

Alternatively, phone UCAS and ask.

ReputationRep:
    Silly me, didn't think of phoning my uni Thanks, I will tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoina)
    Silly me, didn't think of phoning my uni Thanks, I will tomorrow.
    Great, I think that's probably better than anything involving any deception; all above board. Hope the phone call gets a good result, maybe post and say what happened?

ReputationRep:
    I phoned them and they said it's not my fault so they won't hold it against me as long as my qualifications are ok. And if they need anything more they'll contact my lazy teacher :p:

Thank you for all your help and advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoina)
    I phoned them and they said it's not my fault so they won't hold it against me as long as my qualifications are ok. And if they need anything more they'll contact my lazy teacher :p:

Thank you for all your help and advice
    Glad to hear that. Best of luck with your application.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.