Half way through a degree I don't enjoy. Watch

SeanLaurentParis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Its a 3 year degree, I'm coming up to the half way point. I'm studying business, I tolerate some areas but I overall I have no interest, I hate going to sleep because I know I have to go into college in the morning, as a result my attendance has been quite poor.

This is on going,same thing as first year, but this time I don't have any friends, I'm completely separated from my old 'friends'.
My housemates are the closest thing I have to friends despite having nothing in common with them (2 friends from home).

I know what I am interested in. I am interested in fashion, menswear, streetwear, silversmithing.

That's where I hope to be in the future,
I mean I am interested in music as well but I don't see that as something I would like to make a career out of. Fashion, jewellery design on the other hand..

But I'm half way through, I've essentially wasted a year and a half and god knows how much money.

I want to get out of the city I am in.
I can't afford to move to Dublin to study at NCAD.
Never mind moving to London to study. I already feel like I've gone down the wrong path,
I've ****ed up and I'm paying for it now.

Do I continue with a degree I dislike, and try to get through it?
I'll probably come out in a position where I cannot get into a postgrad position, which most people in my course tend to go into.
Or do I some how attempt to move?

What should I do and how the hell do I do it?
study_smart786
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So I found myself in a similar position In terms of my degree, I wanted to do medicine but ended up in different field and and as result felt very disappointed in myself, being in the final yr now i still feel miserable about it. However it is about taking the positives from it and I intend to use this degree as a basis for my next field of dentistry hopefully. I would advice that you finish this degree. Stick with it, complete it and use it to your advantage for the field you're intending to go for next.

I would advice that you join a society that you enjoy just turn up yourself. You'll be surprised to find how many people have the same interests as you! Plus it'll make uni bearable
Good luck!
SeanLaurentParis
Rep:
?
(Original post by study_smart786)
So I found myself in a similar position In terms of my degree, I wanted to do medicine but ended up in different field and and as result felt very disappointed in myself, being in the final yr now i still feel miserable about it. However it is about taking the positives from it and I intend to use this degree as a basis for my next field of dentistry hopefully. I would advice that you finish this degree. Stick with it, complete it and use it to your advantage for the field you're intending to go for next.

I would advice that you join a society that you enjoy just turn up yourself. You'll be surprised to find how many people have the same interests as you! Plus it'll make uni bearable
Good luck!
It's not that the path I chose was a step down, I went into business because I was led to believe it's incredibly open and broad, that you can work anywhere with it.

I have joined societies, they are a joke in my college, it's basically just something that you sign up for and either join the committee, send out emails and in the end you put it down on your CV or you go to one meeting for the entirety of your college career..
NeuroJanine
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SeanLaurentParis)
It's not that the path I chose was a step-down, I went into business because I was led to believe it's incredibly open and broad, that you can work anywhere with it.

I have joined societies, they are a joke in my college, it's basically just something that you sign up for and either join the committee, send out emails and in the end, you put it down on your CV or you go to one meeting for the entirety of your college career.

You said in your first post you are studying business and an interest in fashion. Have you thought about transferring to a fashion and business course at your college, if there is one?!
SeanLaurentParis
Rep:
?
(Original post by NeuroJanine)
You said in your first post you are studying business and an interest in fashion. Have you thought about transferring to a fashion and business course at your college, if there is one?!
I'm located in Ireland, theres a business course, a business and tech course and a couple of business and language courses.. I've no option to transfer, I don't think business and fashion is even an option available at undergraduate here..

I've been thinking of dropping out and enrolling in a silversmithing course, or dropping out and going back as a first year studying fashion and design either here in Ireland or abroad.
NeuroJanine
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, the best option is to stick it out for the degree, then use it for transferring to an MSc, I believe fashion courses include business, so you've got the advantage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.8%
No I am happy with my course choice (547)
59.46%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (131)
14.24%

Watched Threads