?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Was I the only one doing it? :confused:
dani2511
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
twas horrible... lol. i hated that stupid halogenoalkanes question at the end (the 9mark one...), i hadn't revised that stuff
trickz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
LOL. A lot of people talking about that one. Was alright for me as I'd read it. It was the worst possible 8 mark question there could be though. Really wishing crude oil stuff would come up for that instead. Didn't get the reforming question anyway

For one of the reagant questions did you get aluminium oxide for the catalyst?
dani2511
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
haha... i left most of that question out, just guessed some of the reagents

i think i'm retaking in june lol...
trickz
Rep:
?
This was my re-take and went pretty badly. To be honest I thought it was going to be really easy. Bit complacent I think one of the reagents was hydrogen with a nickle catalyst but not sure if aluminium oxide was one of them
dani2511
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
that was my retake too.... i honestly didn't start revising until last night. all i'm hoping for is a slightly higher mark than i had last time, then i'll be happy... but it's not the end of the world lol.

i made half the stuff up... honestly for the life of me couldn't remember any of the catalysts or reagents, and just put what i thought looked right.

which chemical did you indentify as A btw? i put linolool
Miss_Scarlett
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I was retaking I got a B overall last year.

I wanted to try and get an A in C+R to try and pull that up, but I dont think it went all that well. In fact, it didnt go well at all. But for some reason I just do not like this module, I prefer chains rings and spec even though it is harder.

I made stupid errors, I kep puting an answer then crossing it out. When the original answer was correct. But hey, you're not going to do well in every single exam you ever take it life. *tries not too worry (too) much*...

trickz yer i put H and Nickel too, O and Linalool because it was a tertiary alcohol which is why it didnt oxidise.
Andy Conda
Report 10 years ago
hey guys, horrible paper, but as i had revised a fair amount (last week or so) its was'nt a total meltdown. What did you get for the first Bpt, you had to make a estimate for that molecule?
dani2511
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think i put the average of the two others... like 65 or 64 (probably the wrong values, can't really remember... but it was the two others added together divided by two...)
trickz
Rep:
?
I got 60. Just put it down as a 1 mark rushed answer dani2511 I got linolool too.
That first time I took the paper I completely guessed loads and got a C. Was hoping for 90%+ I thought it was going to be that easy this time around but it wasn't. I just hope I get an A!
Andy Conda
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by trickz)
I got 60. Just put it down as a 1 mark rushed answer dani2511 I got linolool too.
That first time I took the paper I completely guessed loads and got a C. Was hoping for 90%+ I thought it was going to be that easy this time around but it wasn't. I just hope I get an A!

I got 64, will there be an interval like 62 +/- 5 or somthing. What did you guys get for the question which asked, what could you test on the -OH group. It asked for reagent, gas and product I put Na as reagent ..H2 as gas and O-Na+ onto orignal molecule.

and for the alcohol thingee ..
i got reaction 1: reagent h2 catalyst Ni
reaction 2 : reagent H2O (steam) catalyst H3PO4
reaction 3 : reagent HBr
dani2511
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol, i got a c last time too... that was a miracle to be honest (B overall... was ecstatic!). i had such a bad chem teacher last year that they actually fired him just after the results for foundation were published.

sooooo glad you guys put linolool... i guessed that one (was an educated guess though... i said something about the carbon that the OH was attached to having 3 R groups, therefore cannot be oxidised...)
trickz
Rep:
?
(Original post by tIT4tOe)
What did you guys get for the question which asked, what could you test on the -OH group. It asked for reagent, gas and product
I got that one! It was sodium and the gas given off is hydrogen. The product is a sodium alkoxide where soium replaces the H on the OH group.
trickz
Rep:
?
(Original post by dani2511)
sooooo glad you guys put linolool... i guessed that one (was an educated guess though... i said something about the carbon that the OH was attached to having 3 R groups, therefore cannot be oxidised...)
I think you're sort of correct. It was a tertiary alcohol which means it wouldn't be oxidised. The other two were primary so would be, resulting in a colour change from orange to green.
dani2511
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got that one! It was sodium and the gas given off is hydrogen. The product is a sodium alkoxide where soium replaces the H on the OH group.
YAY!!! Was just about to ask that.... Atleast i know i got 2 things right
Andy Conda
Report 10 years ago
Great I put H2 as the gas , will this be ok. My friend keeps nagging on about it having to be 1/2H2. Yes, but it only asked for a gas. grr i wish i jsut put hydrogen :p:
Lehmber Hussainpuri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
anyone do how far how fast ?
trickz
Rep:
?
(Original post by tIT4tOe)
Great I put H2 as the gas , will this be ok. My friend keeps nagging on about it having to be 1/2H2. Yes, but it only asked for a gas. grr i wish i jsut put hydrogen :p:
It did ask for an equation where you have to put 1/2 H2 or multiply everything else by 2
Andy Conda
Report 10 years ago
also it asked for an equation for the polymerisation ..hmmm

I put

n -(H2C=CHCH2OH)- =====> ...thingee ....)- n and put addition on the arrow, (+zieglar)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (238)
27.23%
No (636)
72.77%

Watched Threads