Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lykabelle)
    Most people who are studying economics take AC100 (accounting and finance) as an outside option which apparently can be quite dull ...
    Quite dull? :p: ...it's positively riveting :rolleyes: The lectures are a big yawn. But class it's quite cool. Our teacher is a proper chartered accountant so he knows his stuff quite well and uses real world examples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emdo)
    Quite dull? :p: ...it's positively riveting :rolleyes: The lectures are a big yawn. But class it's quite cool. Our teacher is a proper chartered accountant so he knows his stuff quite well and uses real world examples.
    lol, it was the lectures in mind because i did go to one of them near the beginning of term and it was...erm...riveting to say the least:p: Yeah people are probably just talking about the lectures cos they always talk about how boring the woman is and her accent. But you might have a new lecturer now?

Cool, your class sounds interesting so all is not lost! Oh and another rather obvious plus side of ac100 is it's relevance for those who want to go into the finance sector. There is quite alot of class discussion during my french classes (usually by the same few people in class though) but on a wednesday for our 9am class, people aren't really awake so there can be awkward silences! The teachers are good though.

ReputationRep:
    We'll start soon ..so I it's time to think about outside options therefore I bring this thread up.

Have you guys chosen what you're gonna do? Cause I really dont know wether to chose Economics B or A. Also, I looked it up and found out that Econ B (A as well) seems to be pretty tough and quite a few people fail. On the other hand, a language such as French seems to be a lot easier and, of course, a very reasonable choise .. languages really make your CV shine brighter.

Since I kinda wanna do Econ and French I asked LSE and they told me that sometimes they allow two outside options. No I'm wondering wether that would be a good idea ... do you know how much time an outside option usually takes (i.e. lectures, classes ..) and which one they would acutally grade, French or Econ?

It'd also be interesting to see what other people chose and why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanshelm)
    We'll start soon ..so I it's time to think about outside options therefore I bring this thread up.

Have you guys chosen what you're gonna do? Cause I really dont know wether to chose Economics B or A. Also, I looked it up and found out that Econ B (A as well) seems to be pretty tough and quite a few people fail. On the other hand, a language such as French seems to be a lot easier and, of course, a very reasonable choise .. languages really make your CV shine brighter.

Since I kinda wanna do Econ and French I asked LSE and they told me that sometimes they allow two outside options. No I'm wondering wether that would be a good idea ... do you know how much time an outside option usually takes (i.e. lectures, classes ..) and which one they would acutally grade, French or Econ?

It'd also be interesting to see what other people chose and why.
    Outside options, as with all LSE courses, take either one or two hours a week for lectures, and one hour a week for classes. What course are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Hey..

Im doing International Relations. As I said, they told me that two outside options are possible which makes a total of 5 courses..

Oh and by the way .. if I chose Econ A could I do Econ B in my second year?

ReputationRep:
    I think you could, but it wouldn't be the best idea... It would be such a waste of an outside option.

I really would check with your tutor when you get to LSE. I personally can't see them letting you take five courses, simply because 1) it's your first year and 2) it'll be a lot harder.

ReputationRep:
    Hey..

Im doing International Relations. As I said, they told me that two outside options are possible which makes a total of 5 courses..
    I've never heard of that being done! Did they explicitly say 5 courses? I know people who've been given permission to take 2 outside options in a year - it is always in lieu of one of their other courses.

Oh and by the way .. if I chose Econ A could I do Econ B in my second year?
    No. The courses have the same content just in different depth, so no-one can ever take both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gizmoleeds)
    Economics A is WAY easier than B. Under no circumstances should you take Econ B unless it is a requirement of your course. Trust me on that! I swtiched from B to A myself, and I know people who've even ended up changing their degrees after failing Econ B (so they they would be on a degree where A would be acceptable.
    :eek: oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I have to do it in my first year as part of my social policy and econ modules. I am not happy at all :mad: well at least it won't count much if I do badliy in that and do well in the other topics.

Seems a lot of people are doing languages. I want to do the Ph103- Intro to Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of that being done! Did they explicitly say 5 courses? I know people who've been given permission to take 2 outside options in a year - it is always in lieu of one of their other courses.

No. The courses have the same content just in different depth, so no-one can ever take both.
    I think you can do Econ B after Econ A, but certainly not the other way round. Same with Maths/Stats options.

ReputationRep:
    Economics A is WAY easier than B. Under no circumstances should you take Econ B unless it is a requirement of your course. Trust me on that! I swtiched from B to A myself, and I know people who've even ended up changing their degrees after failing Econ B (so they they would be on a degree where A would be acceptable.
    There is some truth in what you say, but I'd still recommend Econ B over Econ A.

Econ B is an intitution unto itself, and is at the core of the LSE experience. I believe over half of the incoming udnergraduate class does the course. That's reason enough to do Econ B. Furthermore, if you do further courses in economics in your second and third years, I'm sure Econ B would help you a lot more than Econ A.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really stuck what to do. I've got 1 Compulsory unit (EH101), plus I have to take Economics A/B. I want to take IR 101 as a third unit, but I'm a bit stuck choosing between either Philosophy 103 or one of the two Politics options (100/101). Any suggestions on which are particularly interesting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Admonitor)
    I'm really stuck what to do. I've got 1 Compulsory unit (EH101), plus I have to take Economics A/B. I want to take IR 101 as a third unit, but I'm a bit stuck choosing between either Philosophy 103 or one of the two Politics options (100/101). Any suggestions on which are particularly interesting?
    Why don't you choose the hardest one now then do the easier one later. That way if you fail (hope you don't) in your first year as the course is hard it won't count towards your degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisateen)
    Why don't you choose the hardest one now then do the easier one later. That way if you fail (hope you don't) in your first year as the course is hard it won't count towards your degree
    True, true. I'm not sure if I'll take Politics or Philosophy any further than the first year though so really the one unit I'd take this year would be the only one I'd ever do. But that is a good point.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 22, 2008
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.