The Student Room Group

Prince Harry to marry Meghan Markle

Scroll to see replies

Pleased for them.
Congratulations to them both. I wonder how soon until their first baby will come along.
Ugh.

I don't know why people gush about how forward thinking the British royals are in marrying 'commoners' (not sure you really count as a commoner if you're rich and/or a celebrity). When will they marry a normal person?
Original post by uberteknik
Just in time to coincide with a new royal baby announcement to quell the riots post Brexit in March 2019.

Either that or Harry's bint is already up the duff.

Spoiler

The riots won't kick in until all the Brexit-voting duffers wake up and realise how utterly deceived they've been. I think that will be around the summer of 2020. Of course, Farage will be out of the country as usual, so it will be difficult to direct their anger against him.
Original post by Snufkin
Ugh.

I don't know why people gush about how forward thinking the British royals are in marrying 'commoners' (not sure you really count as a commoner if you're rich and/or a celebrity). When will they marry a normal person?

When would they meet this 'normal person' in a social situation that could lead to such a relationship?

Any person that would come into their social circles would automatically be described as some kind of social elite, whether by birth or by celebrity.

What is normal, anyway?
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Unarguably it was more exclusive back then. For an exclusive club, exclusivity is kind of an essential trait.

They were certainly exclusive and inbred.
Original post by Drewski
When would they meet this 'normal person' in a social situation that could lead to such a relationship?

Any person that would come into their social circles would automatically be described as some kind of social elite, whether by birth or by celebrity.

What is normal, anyway?

It doesn't come easily. We're dealing with a mental landscape where Katie, the daughter of a man descended from King Edward III, the Landsdowne family (whig statesmen of the 18th/19th century) and landed gentry around Leeds, is defined as a 'commoner'.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It doesn't come easily. We're dealing with a mental landscape where Katie, the daughter of a man descended from King Edward III, the Landsdowne family (whig statesmen of the 18th/19th century) and landed gentry around Leeds, is defined as a 'commoner'.

If we're talking about 800+ years of ancestry then most people will have some connection to something vaguely noble.

So again, what's 'normal'?
Original post by Drewski

What is normal, anyway?

I don't know - but other European royals manage it. The wife of the future King of Norway is a single mum and ex-waitress, the husband of the future Queen of Sweden was a personal trainer. The future king of Denmark married an Australian marketing consultant who he met in a pub. If they can, why can't the British royals?
Original post by Airmed
The wait is over, Clarence House has announced has announced that Prince Harry is to wed in Spring 2018.

The official announcement said: “His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince Harry to Ms Meghan Markle.
The wedding will take place in spring 2018. Further details about the wedding day will be announced in due course.
“His Royal Highness and Ms Markle became engaged in London earlier this month. Prince Harry has informed Her Majesty The Queen and other close members of his family. Prince Harry has also sought and received the blessing of Ms Markle’s parents.
“The couple will live in Nottingham Cottage at Kensington Palace.”

Another royal wedding. A day off would be nice, but I doubt we will get that. :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/27/prince-harry-to-marry-meghan-markle

Couldn't give a rats arse about them to be honest - their business. However, vicars and priests are going to have a hard time telling divorcees that they can't marry in a church from now on.
Original post by Snufkin
I don't know - but other European royals manage it. The wife of the future King of Norway is a single mum and ex-waitress, the husband of the future Queen of Sweden was a personal trainer. The future king of Denmark married an Australian marketing consultant who he met in a pub. If they can, why can't the British royals?

And the wife of the future King of England is a girl who he met at university. What's so wrong about that?
Original post by Drewski
And the wife of the future King of England is a girl who he met at university. What's so wrong about that?

Nothing is wrong with it, but I think it's a shame that the British royals don't make an effort to meet people from other backgrounds (Kate may have been a commoner, but she was very much a member of high society before she met William). You don't need a title to be posh.
Original post by Snufkin
Nothing is wrong with it, but I think it's a shame that the British royals don't make an effort to meet people from other backgrounds (Kate may have been a commoner, but she was very much a member of high society before she met William). You don't need a title to be posh.

How do you know they don't?

But at the same time, can you imagine what kind of fresh hell it would be if one of them rocked up to the local pub? Thanks to Twitter and the like the place would be descended upon by thousands in no time at all.

They both served in the military, and, speaking as someone who was also in the military at the same time and is as boringly lower middle class as they come, they would have met plenty of 'normal' people there.

Is it really any surprise that people like William and Harry end up falling for people who might have something, even if only slightly, in common with them?

How likely are you to fall for someone with whom you share nothing in common?
Ah. The imbeciles have come crawling from their little cages. This time to pedal nonsense about the monarchy. The taxpayer does not fund the royal family.
Reply 74
Original post by Snufkin

Her parent's wealth is self made, it wasn't inherited. By past British Upper Class standards she would have been regarded as a commoner. She still had to do some polishing up before and after she got married.

Upper class people typically marry from aristocratic backgrounds and are of the landed gentry. The middletons are self made and so are many flashy middle and upper middle class in today's society. They are uppity.

Both boys have stepped outside of the Upper class norm.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
How do you know they don't?

But at the same time, can you imagine what kind of fresh hell it would be if one of them rocked up to the local pub? Thanks to Twitter and the like the place would be descended upon by thousands in no time at all.

They both served in the military, and, speaking as someone who was also in the military at the same time and is as boringly lower middle class as they come, they would have met plenty of 'normal' people there.

Is it really any surprise that people like William and Harry end up falling for people who might have something, even if only slightly, in common with them?

How likely are you to fall for someone with whom you share nothing in common?

How do I know that none of them have married or is in a relationship with a normal (by that I mean not wealthy/privileged/posh) person? :erm: It's obvious. If I'm wrong then I'll be happy to admit it. Perhaps if they stopped behaving like socialites they wouldn't get so much attention and could do more casual things.

Again, if European royals manage it, there's no reason why the British royals can't. Unless you think the Swedish/Danish/Norwegian royals have less in common with their spouses than the British royals?

Original post by Fruli
Her parents wealth is self made, it wasn't inherited. By past British Upper Class standards she would have been regarded as a commoner. She still had to do some polishing up before and after she got married. Upper class people typically marry from aristocratic backgrounds and are of the landed gentry. The middletons are self made and so are many flashy middle and upper middle class in today's society. They are uppity.

Both boys have stepped outside of the Royal norm.

Untrue, her father's family was already independently wealthy (her family trust paid for to go Marlborough). They have indeed stepped outside the British royal norm, but by European standards they are well behind the curve.
Original post by Snufkin
How do I know that none of them have married or is in a relationship with a normal (by that I mean not wealthy/privileged/posh) person? :erm: It's obvious. If I'm wrong then I'll be happy to admit it. Perhaps if they stopped behaving like socialites they wouldn't get so much attention and could do more casual things.

When I was saying "how do you know they don't?" It was in response to you saying:

Original post by Snufkin
I think it's a shame that the British royals don't make an effort to meet people from other backgrounds

How do you know they don't do that?

And do you really think it's easy to stop being the topic of paparazzi? How much socialite living do you think they do?
Or are you just someone who'll criticise them for your perceived notion of them?
Would not be fussed if he married another royal, but he may as well be marrying a bird off Eastenders really. The royal family may as well be tax payer funded celebrities at this point.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The riots won't kick in until all the Brexit-voting duffers wake up and realise how utterly deceived they've been. I think that will be around the summer of 2020. Of course, Farage will be out of the country as usual, so it will be difficult to direct their anger against him.

When this happens, I feel kinda bad for wanting to laugh really loud in their faces.
Reply 79
Original post by Snufkin

Again, if European royals manage it, there's no reason why the British royals can't. Unless you think the Swedish/Danish/Norwegian royals have less in common with their spouses than the British royals?

Untrue, her father's family was already independently wealthy (her family trust paid for to go Marlborough). They have indeed stepped outside the British royal norm, but by European standards they are well behind the curve.

I guess that’s what makes the British extra special. They don’t just conform with the rest of Europe and I don’t consider it a bad thing. I frankly have very little to admire about the rest of European culture. I say this as a non Brit, so I have no biases. Great Britain is one of the most open nations in Europe.

This family trust, was it created by her parents or her grand parents? As I said, this wealth can probably be traced back decades as being self made. I don’t consider that to be old money, it’s new money. I think Pippa Middleton’s socialite behaviour and love for the rich men spoke volumes.

There’s an air about the real upper class that’s different to the social climbers.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply