The Student Room Group

Retaking a levels after wanting to do something different at uni

Hi. I already have A levels in Spanish (A*), French (A), Economics (A) and History (B) but I have decided that I want to now study maths and computer science instead. Should I be retaking my A levels and do maths, FM and computer science instead?? I wanted to study modern languages before and I don't know what to do. I am looking for advice on how to go forward. Thanks.

Will redoing my a levels put me at a disadvantage when applying to uni
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lateral
Hi. I already have A levels in Spanish (A*), French (A), Economics (A) and History (B) but I have decided that I want to now study maths and computer science instead. Should I be retaking my A levels and do maths, FM and computer science instead?? I wanted to study modern languages before and I don't know what to do. I am looking for advice on how to go forward. Thanks.

Possibly, or a foundation year. What are you thinking of studying at university now?

That's quite a change... are you currently in a gap year?
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Possibly, or a foundation year. What are you thinking of studying at university now?

That's quite a change... are you currently in a gap year?

I'm on a gap year just now working in tescos and volunteering.

I want to do computer science but I was thinking of redoing the a levels because I wanted to make my chances better of getting into good unis but idk if I would be at a disadvantage by redoing them all in different subjects.
Reply 3
Original post by lateral
I'm on a gap year just now working in tescos and volunteering.

I want to do computer science but I was thinking of redoing the a levels because I wanted to make my chances better of getting into good unis but idk if I would be at a disadvantage by redoing them all in different subjects.

Your problem will be the cost and time it takes to do a new set of A-levels. Have a look at Foundation Year options instead, some are specifically designed for people with good A-levels but in the "wrong" subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lateral

Hi lateral

@doonsbury is right (thanks for the link :smile:) - it's worth looking at Foundation courses rather than re-doing A-levels as your grades are good!
Our foundation courses are for those people who don't have the right a-levels (like you) or those who don't quite meet the requirements.
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/foundation/computer-science-foundation-studies/
Other unis will be the same so I would definitely investigate that route rather than re-do A-levels.
On a side note - I can only speak for Loughborough - but we don't care if a-levels are retakes - it's the final outcome that we're interested in.
But I really think you can get on and do what you want to do without retaking your A-levels in different subjects.

Good luck with your decision :biggrin:
Vicky
Original post by lateral

Hi there,
I realise this post was from 3 years ago but I am currently in the exact same situation. On the slim chance you'd see my reply, what did you end up doing?

I've considered both foundation courses and taking an A-Level maths course, in both cases everyone around me has different opinions. My parents think a foundation year would be a bad idea, but finding maths courses at colleges is extremely difficult. This feels like a huge change as I originally wanted to do medicine but I'm really passionate about programming and computer science and think a career in tech would be great. It just sorta feels like the world is against me right now and this decision has left me feeling quite alone as many think it's silly.

If you or anyone who sees this could give me some advice or support I'd really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by Lilah_cookie
Hi there,
I realise this post was from 3 years ago but I am currently in the exact same situation. On the slim chance you'd see my reply, what did you end up doing?

I've considered both foundation courses and taking an A-Level maths course, in both cases everyone around me has different opinions. My parents think a foundation year would be a bad idea, but finding maths courses at colleges is extremely difficult. This feels like a huge change as I originally wanted to do medicine but I'm really passionate about programming and computer science and think a career in tech would be great. It just sorta feels like the world is against me right now and this decision has left me feeling quite alone as many think it's silly.

If you or anyone who sees this could give me some advice or support I'd really appreciate it :smile:

Why are they against the idea of a foundation year when it literally prepared you the degree far better than A levels. It's far difficult to do A level maths in a year so the foundation year is a far better choice, especially at a uni like Loughborough. Honestly the extra 9k shouldn't matter for a degree like CS. It's worth it
The problem with a FY is that it specifically meant for progression at that uni. It may be accepted elsewhere, but equally it may close some doors.

Generally speaking, taking an additional new subject to make yourself eligible isn't going to be of concern to unis. AL Maths is going to be significantly cheaper and will leave more options open.

Latest