Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most annoying things about living in a house-share? Watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Living in a shared house can be lots of fun: independence, cheaper rent, occasional shared meals... and you might even make a new best friend along the way.

But there's also loads of annoying things that can come with sharing a living space. :rant:

Save the Student's survey revealed 10 of the most annoying things that can be done in a house-share. Some of these included:

Leaving dirty dishes lying around

Not changing the bins when full

Not removing hair from the plug hole/sink

Leaving the window open when the heating is on

Moving a boyfriend or girlfriend in and not asking them to contribute to bills.

Do you agree with any of these?

What do you think are the most annoying housemate habits?!

Any positives to share?

ReputationRep:
    Not removing hair is the worst.

I lived with this Indian guy who had excessive amounts of thick black hair. It got all over the shower, the sink, the toilet seat, etc. The resulting arguments, passive aggressive notes and slamming of doors became known as the war of the pube.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    when people put solid bits of carrots down the sink and stuff then it blocks it so you have to go all plumber with a plunger to get it out and tip caustic soda down it. Or leaving solid bits of food on the floor so you get loads of flies so you spend your evening sweeping it up just for someone to do it again. Or when your housemates have sex in the bath and you can hear the entire thing cos the walls are that thin
    The best thing is when people put cute little scented things in the toilet that smell nice or the fact you hardly ever have to buy your own washing up liquid

ReputationRep:
    Throwing out old food past it's use by date. Don' leave it if you'e not gonna use it. Throw it out.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Not removing hair is the worst.

I lived with this Indian guy who had excessive amounts of thick black hair. It got all over the shower, the sink, the toilet seat, etc. The resulting arguments, passive aggressive notes and slamming of doors became known as the war of the pube.
    The war of the pube sounds pretty intense did you ever resolve it?

(Original post by CoolCavy)
    when people put solid bits of carrots down the sink and stuff then it blocks it so you have to go all plumber with a plunger to get it out and tip caustic soda down it. Or leaving solid bits of food on the floor so you get loads of flies so you spend your evening sweeping it up just for someone to do it again. Or when your housemates have sex in the bath and you can hear the entire thing cos the walls are that thin
    The best thing is when people put cute little scented things in the toilet that smell nice or the fact you hardly ever have to buy your own washing up liquid
    Urgh, so annoying when people don't clean up after themselves :shakecane: Although I don't think anyone's ever put cute little scented things in my toilet :sad:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Stealing food.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Eating my cheese and finishing it :cries::crying::cry:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Totally have all of these problems :laugh: I hate people taking my stuff! Came home after a weekend away to have a pan lid, cheese grater, bowl, two forks, bread, washing up liquid, and a bunch of other stuff missing
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    All of those things sound stupidly tame. But maybe I've just had terrible luck with house-shares. My list would be something like:

1. Not paying rent
    2. Not paying council tax
    3. Impromptu house parties involving 20+ people
    4. Deliberately damaging the house
    5. Stealing (not just food)
    6. Leaving sponges/scrubbing brush in a disgusting state after washing the dishes (this one just really really irks me :rant:)

On the bright side, living in a house share has made me very appreciative of being able to live in my own flat. :p:

General selfish behaviour - like leaving massive stinky skid marks in the toilet.

ReputationRep:
    People stealing food
    People not doing their own dishes or "borrowing" yours
    People wanting the heating on high and all the windows open
    People not putting their own rubbish out
    People cooking and then leaving it on the side for a couple of weeks while maggots are born
    People making loads of noise when you just want some sleep?
    People not doing their own or fair share of cleaning
    People not paying bills
    People spending ages in the shower when I need to poop

I guess the most annoying thing about a house share is other people?

ReputationRep:
    my housemate takes my stuff out the tumble dryer before its dry just because he wants to use it. then rifles through it all and folds my underwear!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethyh1996)
    my housemate takes my stuff out the tumble dryer before its dry just because he wants to use it. then rifles through it all and folds my underwear!!!
    This sounds a little creepy...

ReputationRep:
    Dirty people are the worst. especially students. I never shared at uni but when to visit a friend who did, the state the house was in on a daily basis was fricking revolting, my OCD levels went through the roof!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Or when your housemates have sex in the bath
    That just sounds like a logistical nightmare tbh.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I currently live in a flat and there are two flats above me, current annoyances:
    - the person who doesn't take their front door key with them. (but somehow, will take his door key with him?) he did this twice in one day as well
    - the amount of noise some people make just before going out and it's almost always early too
    - giving out the wrong flat number which means I'm always answering the door to his friends

When I lived in halls, it was things like pinching food and kitchen stuff without asking and then just leaving my knife or pans on the side without cleaning them.

ReputationRep:
    I’m a bit of a hygiene freak so not following basic hygiene rules is annoying for me. Leaving meat out overnight, leaving things on the floor and putting raw meat near the cooked stuff. One of mine actually put a raw uncovered opened pack of bacon on top of my chorizo slices, I was absolutely fuming

ReputationRep:
    The reason I live in a studio now is because of the mess my first year flatmates made. Really put me off. They never cleaned up the kitchen and I was ALWAYS the one to change the kitchen bin. In the end I just ended up shopping at a OneStop for evening meals for half a year. That way I never had to interact with the disgusting filth in the kitchen. Chips that had fallen off of a tray and left for weeks on end. Weird crap all over the floor and dishes piled over the sink 24/7. They still found time to host people in the flat though? How disgusting is that. You live in a sty yet invite people over to witness it? I can only assume they weren't that self aware of the state they were living in.

One girl and myself never caused that mess and she ended up moving out over it. I was thinking that if I never got involved in the messy space, I never had to clean as nothing was my mess. The bin just overflowed after that and they must have assumed the magic bin fairy stopped visiting them.

ReputationRep:
    When someone leaves a giant **** in the bathroom.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I had a housemate who once vomited in the hallway
    He also defecated on himself after a night out and put his poo-covered clothes in the washing machine causing it to have to be cleaned

Beyond that, I was left with a few hundred pounds of bill debt because international student housemates suddenly moved out without paying the money.

And then the general problems listed above. House parties are annoying but thankfully I can sleep through anything. The thing that bothers me is going to the kitchen and discovering tons of bottles and full bins and food missing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.