thatduckthough
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out when the Baroque, Classical and Romantic music periods were? I've looked online but there's a lot of conflicting dates of when each period started and ended. Thanks!
AuroraNyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Baroque is roughly 1600 - 1750

Classical is roughly 1750 - 1830

Romantic is usually defined as late 1780 - 1910

Of course composers draw on the styles of previous times and there obviously is overlap, for example the "Romantic Classical" style. These are just the general "trendiness" periods.
thatduckthough
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by CastCuraga)
Baroque is roughly 1600 - 1750

Classical is roughly 1750 - 1830

Romantic is usually defined as late 1780 - 1910

Of course composers draw on the styles of previous times and there obviously is overlap, for example the "Romantic Classical" style. These are just the general "trendiness" periods.
Thanks! That's really useful
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by thatduckthough)
I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out when the Baroque, Classical and Romantic music periods were? I've looked online but there's a lot of conflicting dates of when each period started and ended. Thanks!
That's because there isn't really a definitive answer. Music styles didn't suddenly change - they gradually evolved. Wikipedia lists these periods, although they too are somewhat arbitrary. There is some overlap between periods:

Baroque: 1600-1750
Classical: 1730-1820
Romantic: 1780-1910
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (112)
28%
No (288)
72%

Watched Threads