The Student Room Group

Want to apply to Oxbridge but have extenuating circumstances. Help!!!

Basically, for my GCSE's I got 2A* 9B's. I have severe medical conditions which mean i miss a lot of school and my predicted AS grades are 4A's. I don't know what to say in my personal statement etc when applying and i needed some advice :smile:
Reply 1
Should be put in your reference by your teacher - dw about it for now
It might be best asking to get this put in your reference - I spoke to the teacher writing mine and they were happy to describe the circumstances in detail in their reference - otherwise, you might spend/waste valuable characters talking about it in your Personal Statement?
Reply 3
I'm sorry OP for hijacking your thread but I'm just wondering:

Does mental illness (depression, anxiety) that has affected someone's life count as a mitigating circumstance if it made no difference to the grade achieved? As in the applicant still went on to achieve 3 A*s.

Or is mitigating circumstance defined as something that has hindered your learning capabilities?
Original post by Shaw1989
Basically, for my GCSE's I got 2A* 9B's. I have severe medical conditions which mean i miss a lot of school and my predicted AS grades are 4A's. I don't know what to say in my personal statement etc when applying and i needed some advice :smile:

Not sure about oxford but Cambridge definitely takes extenuating circumstances into account :smile: I'd say go for it - you won't know if you don't try and it's only one choice :wink:

Original post by Baaah
I'm sorry OP for hijacking your thread but I'm just wondering:

Does mental illness (depression, anxiety) that has affected someone's life count as a mitigating circumstance if it made no difference to the grade achieved? As in the applicant still went on to achieve 3 A*s.

Or is mitigating circumstance defined as something that has hindered your learning capabilities?

What my school told me is that it tells the uni that despite having these circumstances you've still got the grades, which then shows you still haven't reached your full potential, which makes the application more impressive :smile:
Don't worry, Cambridge (don't know about Oxford but probably the same) take extenuating circumstances seriously, so you can submit an Extenuating Circumstances Form (ECF) when you apply, which will add context to the grades which you achieved.
definitely apply! :smile: have your doctor fill out an Extenuating Circumstances Form on your behalf, so the university you apply to can really understand in detail the severity of your condition. i only got 3 A*s in my GCSEs, and even got an E in one of them due to my condition. I'm also pretty sure that I did terrible in my admissions assessment for Cambridge (i told the examiner that my condition may affect my exam), but i still got offered an interview for next week. you can definitely apply and you can definitely succeed! 4 predicted As at AS is great! good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest