The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oswy
Erm, now that's a little unfair. I only asked what the OP's dad's wage was
The point is that her father's wage is what it is because of those factors.
Reply 21
i still think GPs earn much more than they're supposed to. (i think that if they got paid normal wages medicine wouldn't even be competitive today.)

so... no sympathy from me.
Reply 22
madima
i still think GPs earn much more than they're supposed to. (i think that if they got paid normal wages medicine wouldn't even be competitive today.)

Of course not. Apparently no one appreciates them anyway. :rolleyes:
Reply 23
madima
Normal wages?

Like dentists? £159,600 after same length degree but shorter training and with better hours. Link
Business analyst? £100,000 after shorter degree, shorter training and better hours? Link
MP? ~£120,000 Link
Reply 24
Renal
Normal wages?

Like dentists? £159,600 after same length degree but shorter training and with better hours. Link
Business analyst? £100,000 after shorter degree, shorter training and better hours? Link
MP? ~£120,000 Link

listen, if i was bored enough i could agive you a list of jobs with bad salary figures and play you at your own game.
Reply 25
madima
listen, if i was bored enough i could agive you a list of jobs with bad salary figures and play you at your own game.

But it's not really fair to compare a doctor to a window cleaner, is it?
Reply 26
sTe\/o
But it's not really fair to compare a doctor to a window cleaner, is it?

i'm assuming you think that the more "helpful to society" your job is, the better you should get paid.

well... do you watch football, my friend?
Reply 27
madima
i'm assuming you think that the more "helpful to society" your job is, the better you should get paid.

You have a point?
Reply 28
madima

Indeed, maybe you should be asking for footballers' wages to be lowered, not doctors'. My point is that no one is going to sign up to train as a doctor, which is arguably one of the most arduous career paths you could choose, unless they know they will be remunerated adequately.

And no, I don't watch football. :p:
But footballer's wages are not determined by the government - they are determined by how much the football club is worth and how much money it makes. So football goers are technically to blame for footballer's atrociuosly (sp?) high wages.

And of course hardly anyone is going to apply for medicine if the rewards aren't worth it...how on earth do you think med students are meant to pay off at least 5 years worth of university fees, on top of cost of living for that time?
the doctor in my area is only open 4 days a week, from 9-11am and from 4-6 pm. it's ridiculous that he should get paid as much as he does when he's providing such a poor service.
maybe the new contract isn't the way to go but something should be done to ensure that doctors pay is relative to the amount of work that they do.

off the point, but linking to the whole football thing, I think there should be a maximum wage as well as minimum to ensure that people like footballers don't get paid ridiculous amounts to do jobs that don't really benefit anyone.
Reply 31
death.drop
the doctor in my area is only open 4 days a week, from 9-11am and from 4-6 pm. it's ridiculous that he should get paid as much as he does when he's providing such a poor service.

Then again, he probably doesn't earn anywhere near the average salary. I agree that that is a poor service, though.
Reply 32
death.drop
How much does he get paid?

:colone:
Reply 33
madima

Would you want to be treated by any old random who's been handed a "doctor" badge cos they fancied being one, rather than having gone through a competitive admissions procedure that can demand high grades etc. & is willing to kick students out? :wink:
Reply 34
Elles
Would you want to be treated by any old random who's been handed a "doctor" badge cos they fancied being one, irregardless of the wage, rather than having gone through a competitive admissions procedure that can demand high grades etc.? :wink:

this is my logic:
if wages were reduced, less people would apply to do medicine
those people who wouldn't do medicine anymore are those who are in it for the money
therefore those who are left are those who are in it for the passion
therefore those who are left are likely to become better caring doctors who take their work seriously

THEREFORE if we decrease wages, we get better doctors :smile:
Reply 35
madima
those people who wouldn't do medicine anymore are those who are in it for the money
Who does medicine for the money anyway? Anyone smart enough is going to realise early on that there are far better jobs to make money in.

If you decrease wages, Australia get better doctors.
Renal
How much does he get paid?

:colone:

i think it's around 80k but i'm not sure. that's what my mum said when she photographed his wedding about 3 years ago. she got talking to his wife about how nice it must be not to have to work and his wife was like 'yes, well it is but we've only got 80k to live on and 2 children to bring up'.

off the point but i remember how annoyed my mum was that she had 7 kids to bring up and a husband to support on about £30k and had to work as a self employed photographer (hard work, long hours) as well as nights in a face paint factory. not that i'm saying it wasn't her fault she was in that position.
Reply 37
Renal
Who does medicine for the money anyway? Anyone smart enough is going to realise early on that there are far better jobs to make money in.

lol every wannabe medic i know thinks they're gonna be driving bentleys if they turned out to be doctors.
Reply 38
madima
lol every wannabe medic i know thinks they're gonna be driving bentleys if they turned out to be doctors.
If they're kids the same age as you it's not surprising. They read **** like this thread and **** on the bbc about how all doctors are thieving from the nash and start believing that it isn't a bad career choice.
Reply 39
Renal

Precisely, anyone that goes into medicine "for the money" is a stupid fool.

Latest

Trending

Trending