The Student Room Group

Trying to achieve clean skin...

Now, my skin is terrible, it always has been and at some points, I have been bullied for it. I've tried so many products both highly recommended, expensive and cheap recommended brands but none seem to be working. I've tried following the do's and don't's and I'm going around in circles. I don't feel like seeing a dermatologist because I don't want to go on pills or be stuck with some needle or told something I've already been trying to do.

Anyone know of any 'miracle' creams, serums or your own personal skin care routines that do wonders for literally a skin type that can't seem to give them a break?

Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

I have really bad skin and mainly get blackheads. I've been going for facials at my local beauty parlour for over a year every four weeks and my skin is so much better! I use dermalogica cleanser, toner and cream every morning and night and it really helps. Also try to exfoliate twice a week. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
I know you've probably heard this a billion times but diet is honestly the key. Eating fatty foods (crisps, chips,chocolate etc) can have a huge impact on your skin - and not a good one. However, veggies and fruits such as tomatoes and stuff are natural cleansers.

And if you're not into that, then tea tree oil should hep (good for me).
I use Boots Witch hazel and tea tree oil gel overnight.

But seriously, you're beautiful just the way you are and the idiots that say otherwise are just that - idiots. Besides, what comes around goes around :wink:
Original post by JaffaNeko
Now, my skin is terrible, it always has been and at some points, I have been bullied for it. I've tried so many products both highly recommended, expensive and cheap recommended brands but none seem to be working. I've tried following the do's and don't's and I'm going around in circles. I don't feel like seeing a dermatologist because I don't want to go on pills or be stuck with some needle or told something I've already been trying to do.

Anyone know of any 'miracle' creams, serums or your own personal skin care routines that do wonders for literally a skin type that can't seem to give them a break?

Cheers.

Hey! I've had pretty bad skin off and on and not found any miracle cure type thing, but the best thing I can do is to make sure I don't touch it at all, use a regular cleansing regime but not using very harsh products, drink plenty of water and eat healthily. Simple skincare stuff is quite good. My brother (same problem) went to the doctor and they prescribed these antibiotics things which seemed to help. I've heard apple cider vinegar is supposed to be quite good - tried it myself a year or so ago but it's smelly and a bit inconvenient to be using. Salt water is quite nice. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by babyleo
I know you've probably heard this a billion times but diet is honestly the key. Eating fatty foods (crisps, chips,chocolate etc) can have a huge impact on your skin - and not a good one. However, veggies and fruits such as tomatoes and stuff are natural cleansers.

And if you're not into that, then tea tree oil should hep (good for me).
I use Boots Witch hazel and tea tree oil gel overnight.

But seriously, you're beautiful just the way you are and the idiots that say otherwise are just that - idiots. Besides, what comes around goes around :wink:

I know diet is a hard thing to stick to, I rarely eat sweets, however, a cheeky cheeseburger does slip in every one and awhile. I have o force myself to eat fruit and veg these days aha.
I've been on The Body Shops tea tree products for a few month and they have done a half and half job, but I will have a look at the Witch hazel products!

Thank you for your support :smile:
Reply 5
Do you currently have a skincare routine? My skin was pretty bad but having a routine has helped it, and it’s pretty clear now
I use a bunch of different brands, but sukin is quite good for sensitive skin, and it’s easily found in boots.

First, I cleanse my face using a foam cleanser. Then I dry my face and use toner. Afterwards I apply a serum, followed by a bit of bio oil, and then a moisturiser
Hey! I'm they same as you. Everyone says to eat an amazing diet which in reality no one can, and drink plenty of water. I drink nothing but water and my skin is still bad. I usually suffer from blackheads so every 4 weeks, I go to my local beauty parlour for a facial. This is a good way to treat skin in a professional way without you damaging it. I've been going for over a year and I've seen a massive improvement. I use dermalogica products which are really kind on the skin. It's best to cleans, tone and put cream on your face every morning and night, with an exfoliation or home facial twice a week. Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Oh, and use a face mask one a week
Reply 8
Original post by Spider&TheFly
Hey! I've had pretty bad skin off and on and not found any miracle cure type thing, but the best thing I can do is to make sure I don't touch it at all, use a regular cleansing regime but not using very harsh products, drink plenty of water and eat healthily. Simple skincare stuff is quite good. My brother (same problem) went to the doctor and they prescribed these antibiotics things which seemed to help. I've heard apple cider vinegar is supposed to be quite good - tried it myself a year or so ago but it's smelly and a bit inconvenient to be using. Salt water is quite nice. Good luck!

Ahh I hope you find a remedy too soon. I try not to touch my skin but sometimes it just happens and I hate myself for it haha. I also try drink as much water as I can but not enough to drown myself with hydration. I don't fancy taking pills every day but if it comes to it it might be necessary. Thank you :smile:
I have really bad skin and mainly get blackheads. I visit my local beauty parlour for a facial every 4 weeks and have been for over a year. I've seen such a massive improvement in my skin too. I also use dermalogica products which are really kind on the skin. You need to cleanse, tone your face and apply cream every morning and night, with exfoliation or a home facial at least twice a week. Hope this helps!
Ahh I hope you find a remedy too soon. I try not to touch my skin but sometimes it just happens and I hate myself for it haha. I also try drink as much water as I can but not enough to drown myself with hydration. I don't fancy taking pills every day but if it comes to it it might be necessary. Thank you :smile:

Same - I fiddle with it and then I'm like ragh why did I do that!! & yeah try to balance the need to drink plenty with the preference not to spend your entire life dashing to the toilet!!!
Reply 11
Original post by Maryyyyy
Do you currently have a skincare routine? My skin was pretty bad but having a routine has helped it, and it’s pretty clear now
I use a bunch of different brands, but sukin is quite good for sensitive skin, and it’s easily found in boots.

First, I cleanse my face using a foam cleanser. Then I dry my face and use toner. Afterwards I apply a serum, followed by a bit of bio oil, and then a moisturiser

I do have a routine every morning and afternoon. I use the Body Shop tea tree foam clenser, then toner and finally the moisutriser, but over the past 2 weeks my skins gone bad to worse. I've ordered the Vitamin E skin set to try for a few weeks to try see some improvement so I hope tht works. I've seen plenty of face masks but loads are expensive or just don't work for me unfortunately :/

Thanks for the help.
Ask for Epiduo - I've been on it for 4 weeks and not had a proper spot on the areas im applying the cream on ever since starting - just trying to fade my PIH atm.

Bear in mind though the intial breakout is horrible.
Reply 13
Original post by CemXx732
I have really bad skin and mainly get blackheads. I visit my local beauty parlour for a facial every 4 weeks and have been for over a year. I've seen such a massive improvement in my skin too. I also use dermalogica products which are really kind on the skin. You need to cleanse, tone your face and apply cream every morning and night, with exfoliation or a home facial at least twice a week. Hope this helps!

I will have a look at my nearest beauty parlours and see if they may be able to help. thank you :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Spider&TheFly
Same - I fiddle with it and then I'm like ragh why did I do that!! & yeah try to balance the need to drink plenty with the preference not to spend your entire life dashing to the toilet!!!

Its insane. If I don't get better skin through water I will have worse bladder in future XD
I do have a routine every morning and afternoon. I use the Body Shop tea tree foam clenser, then toner and finally the moisutriser, but over the past 2 weeks my skins gone bad to worse. I've ordered the Vitamin E skin set to try for a few weeks to try see some improvement so I hope tht works. I've seen plenty of face masks but loads are expensive or just don't work for me unfortunately :/

Thanks for the help.

What kinds of skin do you have?
Do you have dairy? I find that drinking milk, eating yoghurt etc gives me cystic acne. I realised that it was the trigger too late as I'd already endured years of antibiotics :frown:

I use diluted apple cider vinegar on my skin twice a day to help banish acne! (and it works wonders, especially with reducing my scars)
Its insane. If I don't get better skin through water I will have worse bladder in future XD

Hahaha :biggrin:
Apple cider vinegar and bio oil are amazing for acne scars in particular.
For me it was the skincare stuff that gave me acne, if absolutely nothing works, I'd give just a regular water wash a try, maybe with a bicarbonate of soda scrub each week to exfoliate - along with a good diet and plenty of water. A few days after I stopped using skincare stuff, my acne stopped cropping up. It confused me because everyone always told me to wash more or get better stuff, I spent so much money on charcoal masks, beauty places, and face washes and in the end all I needed was plain old water. Everyone's different! Epiduo is also very good as someone else said :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending