The Student Room Group

record people are stopping eating meat

i feel we are making a stand the local asda near me has shut many of its meat counters because there isnt enough demand for it lets keep this going change is happening animals have rights

Scroll to see replies

why not stop eating veggies? plants have right as well
a lot of animals eat meat... so why is it wrong ?

:holmes:
because animals have feelings too
Original post by save animals
because animals have feelings too

so animal killing animal is okay but humans killibg animals is wrong. #logic
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
a lot of animals eat meat... so why is it wrong ?

:holmes:

Animals rape too so does that mean rape is ok?
we are making a stand against slaughtering animals
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
so animal killing animal is okay but humans killibg animals is wrong. #logic

They do it out of necessity. Humans don't have to; we are omnivorous. We also being the most intelligent of animal species have a noblesse oblige to preserve the welfare of animals, as they are incapable of fending for themselves, the way in which livestock animals are treated is immoral.
I'm not a vegetarian but I've cut down my meat consumption by about half as of late (and stopped buying milk). I still don't see much of an issue with killing animals for food however the way the meat industry is run and how much effect it has on our planet is the main concern. Because of animal agriculture and humans' demands for meat, eating meat is undeniably a bad thing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by save animals
i feel we are making a stand the local asda near me has shut many of its meat counters because there isnt enough demand for it lets keep this going change is happening animals have rights

We should all raise our own pigs and butcher them ourselves!
wheres the proof, thought we were having record sales of meat
Original post by Hirsty97
They do it out of necessity. Humans don't have to; we are omnivorous. We also being the most intelligent of animal species have a noblesse oblige to preserve the welfare of animals, as they are incapable of fending for themselves, the way in which livestock animals are treated is immoral.

In fact, several animals are omnivores also such as pigs, bears, badgers. They, too, can survive without meat but choose it nonetheless. You are correct in saying that we are an intelligent species, and so we are able to come up with morality ourselves, but it is simply nature for certain species to also eat meat even when it is not a necessity. Most animals are not in a vegetative state, they can definitely fend for themselves they have done for millions of years. My family own a farm where we raise pigs for slaughter and I, myself, have been in abattoirs that we have specifically chosen to kill our pigs as they are known to provide quick deaths.
Original post by opies
Animals rape too so does that mean rape is ok?

But they don't. They have sex which is NOT FORCED and instead they try and fight with other males just to win over the female. (That is true for most mammals)
Reply 13
But they don't. They have sex which is NOT FORCED and instead they try and fight with other males just to win over the female. (That is true for most mammals)

They do sometimes. Some male animals chase after the female and force themselves on her. You honestly don't think this happens?
Meat eating is wrong, but not that bad. Animals don't have the same level of existence as humans: they don't have the same commitment to social bonds, they don't have higher thought or intelligence, they don't exercise self-control, they can't understand their own existence or the concept of morality, they can't form a social contract with humans, etc. This means that the life of an animal is inherently far less valuable than a human's. I personally don't eat much meat because I don't like the taste, but eating meat in general isn't very bad morally.

The slaughter of animals isn't very bad morally, but it is bad for the existence of humans. Low-quality meat can cause cancer, the production of meat uses a ton of resources and is inefficient, factories and cows release a lot of greenhouse gases, etc. This is why I am opposed to the current standard of producing meat.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by truiop
They do sometimes. Some male animals chase after the female and force themselves on her. You honestly don't think this happens?

You said SOME and hence why I said

true for most mammals

and this is why we don't justify rape and it is wrong but linking rape to eating meat is like playing a football game but saying why you cant hit it into the stands and it doesn't count as a six (the link is between cricket and football if you get what I mean). Don't come up with petty argument. Give me science and I will give you science back and I mean quoted science where I know where you got your stuff from. Not some fantasy fictions which only exists in your small ideology or w/e you want to call it
Reply 16
You said SOME and hence why I said

and this is why we don't justify rape and it is wrong but linking rape to eating meat is like playing a football game but saying why you cant hit it into the stands and it doesn't count as a six (the link is between cricket and football if you get what I mean). Don't come up with petty argument. Give me science and I will give you science back and I mean quoted science where I know where you got your stuff from. Not some fantasy fictions which only exists in your small ideology or w/e you want to call it

Think you find rape is part of the animal kingdom that happens plenty of times and consent is not a rule there. Yes some of the time it might be consensual and some of the time it might be forced.

However that is the same with animals eating other animals. I.e. only SOME animals eat other animals and not all of them do it yet you still use that to try and justify eating meat.
Original post by truiop
Think you find rape is part of the animal kingdom that happens plenty of times and consent is not a rule there. Yes some of the time it might be consensual and some of the time it might be forced.

However that is the same with animals eating other animals. I.e. only SOME animals eat other animals and not all of them do it yet you still use that to try and justify eating meat.

I don't justify eating meat becaue other animals eat meat. It was meant to be sarcastic if I said it at the start. I use science and logic to tell me what I should and shouldn't do.

Also, only some animals eat other animals because only SOME have bodies capable of eating meat and only SOME can actually prey on other animals. I have posted my links to articles in the other thread so feel free to read them although I can safely assume that you have seen the post so will be waiting for your reply.
Reply 18
I don't justify eating meat becaue other animals eat meat. It was meant to be sarcastic if I said it at the start. I use science and logic to tell me what I should and shouldn't do.

Also, only some animals eat other animals because only SOME have bodies capable of eating meat and only SOME can actually prey on other animals. I have posted my links to articles in the other thread so feel free to read them although I can safely assume that you have seen the post so will be waiting for your reply.

Most animals could eat meat if they wanted to like humans. Throughout history some just didn't and this lead to their bodies evolving to suit the diet that falls under a herbivore.

Why don't you post your sources on here (See if these sources are even reliable and not just someones opinion of the internet). I don't have time to go looking through your post history.

At the end of the day despite what some animals do humans don't need to eat meat and the current rate that meat is being consumed is messing up the planet according to science.

Not to mention the animal suffering but you don't have a conscious when it comes to them obv.
"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding.
How can you have your pudding if you don't eat your meat?"

[video="youtube;eQM69FCp9cc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQM69FCp9cc[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest