Best and Worst of Sheffield? Watch

Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mattw89)
haha! its the way forward! Get home and tuck into chippy chips with the rest of the food, no messin about tryin to carry it all and not spill anything etc.!
This man speaks the truth! I always carry my food home, mostly because i have sauce at home
mtbab
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
see we usually walk way too slowly on the way home so you have to eat it on the way or else it will be frozen!
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I live basically next door to a kebab shop so that's the best bet for walking home with it. It's reasonable, but not 'good'.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I live 30 seconds from the broomhill friary. Awesome.
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
I live 30 seconds from the broomhill friary. Awesome.
well if i lived that close then i might wait till i got home haha!
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by moshimoshi)
No chavs ~ ok ~ all the reason to go to Sheffield!!!
haha yep round uni area i promise you wont see one, as the schools round us are all private schools as well.

tell a lie one south london chav girl lived by me, but she dropped out before reading week.
AllyDay
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
i live near broomhill friary too legends
just_tha_bboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by moshimoshi)
No chavs ~ ok ~ all the reason to go to Sheffield!!!
Errrm Nearby in Rotherham and Doncaster there are chavs a plenty though!
Flawed
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's a bit of a myth to say there aren't any chavs in Sheffield. Having lived all over Sheffield I can say there definitely are chavs here. As a student you will obviously move in different circles though, so you will generally avoid them.

If you stay off the estates you will generally avoid most of the chavs. I should add that many of the worst estates are near(ish) to the city centre (although generally on the opposite side of the city to the uni), so you do need to be a little careful walking round - trotting around some of the inner city estates flashing your laptop/ipod/mobile/etc probably isn't the wisest move.

The west side of the city in which the Uni (and I guess most of the student accommodation) is located is definitely the most affluent side of the city (this is why I suspect some previous posters claim not to have seen chavs). It's a nice area, leafy, quite a few parks and interesting places to visit and it's well served by public transport (frequent buses, trams and on most of the main roads you should be able to hail down a taxi). It's also 10-15 minutes walk to the city centre so you're never far from the shops, trains, etc.

As for night-life; it's almost wall to wall bars/take aways/restaurants on Division Street, West Street and Ecclesall Road (look on google maps: they are 3 of the busier roads into Sheffield from the west side of the city so they should be quite easy to spot). As someone said above there is also London Road but I would generally avoid this area if I were you (unless you're visiting one of the quality restaurants there).

I guess many of the bars on these roads cater almost exclusively for students through the week, but you do need to be a little more vigilant on a weekend. As is the case in every city/town centre in the country this area gets cram packed with people who are spending their wage packet and have had too much drink so it's not uncommon to see violence (especially in and around the pub chains on division street/west street/city centre). Another thing to be aware of; this is a city with two football teams and, as with all football teams, there are a minority of idiots who attach themselves to both clubs. The whole area that I've mentioned is right bang in the middle of the two football clubs. I'd recommend giving the whole area (including Ecclesall Road) a wide berth on any day/night that the local football teams are playing each other.

Ecclesall road is the highlight of the area for me as it has some of the best restaurants in Sheffield. If you're feeling particularly flush you could do worse than try Nonna's (Italian restaurant/cafe bar), for me it's the best dining experience in Sheffield (v. expensive though for a student - I certainly won't be eating there again while I'm on a student budget unless someone treats me).

Things to do? Well, the same as every city really; cinemas aplenty, Meadowhall (which I personally hate, but most people seem to adore), an outdoor ski-slope, a couple of indoor climbing centres, loads of sports facilities (olympic size swimming pool, running track, etc - all left over from the student games), two championship football teams (both offer big discounts for students and do student days), ice hockey team and of course, right on the doorstep, the Peak District national park. Go for a nice quite meal and a pint in Hope Valley, visit one of the sleepy market towns, hire a mountain bike from the shop in Hathersage and go mountain biking around Lady Bower reservoir, go rock climbing, etc. It provides a nice balance to city life imho.

Having read back it seems like I've focused on the negative which wasn't my intention. I should say that I've never been the victim of violence or crime in Sheffield and it is often reported that this city is the safest major city. I have seen a lot of things kick off especially around west street/division street though. I just wanted to paint a slightly more realistic picture of Sheffield (or indeed any city!) than the chav-free, crime free utopia painted in some of the posts above.
toddlers crossword
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think I know anyone who really like Meadowhall, a few people I know refer to it as 'Meadowhell' on a regular basis...usually I cant see the point in going all the way over there for shops you can mostly get in the city centre anyway, I make an exception to visit La senza and the nice new Primark

Also, agree that obviously there are chavs in Sheffield, although I think I'd give a prize to anyone who sees one near Endcliffe village! As my boyfriend lived in Broomhall last year and off London Rd this year Ive seen a few (makes them sound like some rare breed...makes me laugh how much of a bubble I live in at uni when even my supposedly posh hometown is overrun with chavs, and now if you see one is practically an event!)

I always wonder if I am a freak because I dont think either Broomhall or London Rd are THAT dodgy - everyone else at uni is always going on about how Broomhall is the 'ghetto' and theyd never live there. Theres an estate or two and prob a few dodgy people but I never felt unsafe walking round there, and as you start getting into Collegiate Crescent its actually nice-ish! And Ive never felt unsafe on London Rd either, at night there are a few chavs around the kebab shops etc but just as likely to find either drunk students from the Forge coming home or people just having a nice meal out. I think my perception of 'dodgy' may be skewed by going to school in an area where people were getting murdered every other week, to the point where it just became a minor annoyance that the bus was diverted around a crime scene or we couldnt go out for chips at lunch cos there was a gunman loose (true story! whats worse is some people snuck out anyway! hmm chips vs own life...)

I agree the variety of restaurants on London Rd is awesome though, so far have been to a Greek place, a Japanese place and a Vietnamese place, theres also Turkish, Kurdish, Italian, Carribean and god knows what else 5 minutes from my bfs. Def worth a try!

Also, when at my bfs we are 2 minutes from Bramall Lane - dont think theres been a derby there when Ive been there but Ill be amused at the amount of security, I hear they close off roads and riot police march the wednesday fans down from Hillsborough, lol. Had the very strange experience of watching a United match on telly the other day that I could hear and practically see out of the window! (bet if we could somehow get on the roof we could watch the match for free...not that Id want to particularly but y'know...)
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol Broomhall is actually one of the nicer areas It's certainly the most expensive. Nearly moved there actually but decided the landlord was a bit dodgy.
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dionysus)
lol Broomhall is actually one of the nicer areas It's certainly the most expensive. Nearly moved there actually but decided the landlord was a bit dodgy.
Broomhall isn't the ghetto people make it out to be (considering the area i grew up in Birmingham) but if you walk just ten mins from the Edge and you find yourself in Endcliffe and Ranmoor (the place not the Halls) thats a nice area, overlookign the park, gorge houses going for about £1mil each easily (i rang the estate agents of a few houses for sale as I walked past). Broomhall is probably the dodgiest out of Broomhill/C'moor/Hunters Bar/Crookes etc but not dodgy per se, if that makes sense.

Its not that expensive actually Harcourt Road is the most expensive road I think.
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the reason it is a bit pricey for students is that it's conveniently located. I've not really looked into the open market though.
toddlers crossword
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did love the convenience of Broomhall when staying at my boyfriends last year, a 10 min stroll and you're at your lecture. Although I am living on West St next year so will be an even shorter walk, yay! (well just off West st anyway) I did look into a couple of places in Broomhall though and they seemed pretty expensive for what you got. It was about £72 ish each for a nice place and all the rest were pretty skanky...(though I dare say you can get cheaper if sharing with more people)
S
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be honest, most student places in Crookes, Broomhill are cheap compared to the city...but you get what you pay for.

I'm living in Opal 2 next year unfortunately/fortunately. It works out as £96 per week, but this includes internet and all bills. Also, you get a gym and a swimming poo, and every room is ensuite. Overall, this isn't bad, but I think I'll miss the student atmosphere that you find in Broomhill.
toddlers crossword
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Essence™)
Also, you get a gym and a swimming poo,
Im hoping you meant pool.... :p:
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Essence™)
To be honest, most student places in Crookes, Broomhill are cheap compared to the city...but you get what you pay for.

I'm living in Opal 2 next year unfortunately/fortunately. It works out as £96 per week, but this includes internet and all bills. Also, you get a gym and a swimming poo, and every room is ensuite. Overall, this isn't bad, but I think I'll miss the student atmosphere that you find in Broomhill.
Nope, you don't. That's an extra £240 payable in monthly instalments assuming they give you the same offer as we had. Oh, and the internet isn't included either. The package I'm on is £150 for the year, payable in one go, but there are a couple of cheaper ones.
S
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
haha, poo! I hope they clean the pool regularly

(Original post by Dionysus)
Nope, you don't. That's an extra £240 payable in monthly instalments assuming they give you the same offer as we had. Oh, and the internet isn't included either. The package I'm on is £150 for the year, payable in one go, but there are a couple of cheaper ones.
Nah, the internet charge is included in the rent for returning students, I'll be in 3rd year next october. It's basically an incentive to get us to apply to Opal 2.

Where are you living next year Dionysus? Also, what's the gym like?
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm a member of the gym but never really used it - it seems ok. They've never actually charged me though because they lost my bank details, the fools. They wrote asking for a new direct debit authorisation but I wasn't daft enough to give them it! If you're getting free internet, it'll be the cheapest package I expect.
Jodly.X
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go and watch the Sheffield Steelers ice hockey team
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Sheffield
    Postgraduate Taught Courses Open Days Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Feb '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Jul '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (36)
97.3%
No (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads