The Student Room Group

Radiography with Foundation Year - Mature Student

Hi All,

I'm seriously considering starting a Radiography degree come next September. I'm 28, so classed as a mature student. I have A-Levels (BCC), but none that are Science based. The entry requirements at Keele for the course, with foundation year are ABC-BBB. What I want to know is, as a mature student, who has been out of the classroom for 8 odd years now, do I need to meet these requirements? And would a distance learning access course boost my chances of being accepted?
Original post by Banks8691
Hi All,

I'm seriously considering starting a Radiography degree come next September. I'm 28, so classed as a mature student. I have A-Levels (BCC), but none that are Science based. The entry requirements at Keele for the course, with foundation year are ABC-BBB. What I want to know is, as a mature student, who has been out of the classroom for 8 odd years now, do I need to meet these requirements? And would a distance learning access course boost my chances of being accepted?

Unless they specifically say that they'll accept mature students with different requirements then you would be expected to meet the requirements so you should consider doing an access course i think :smile:
Reply 2
You will probably need to do te access course. I'm currentyl doing mine despite having relelvant qualifications as none are within the last five years! Frustrating but I'm enjoying the course and at 37 it has been a long time since I studied so it's a good ease back into it!
Email the university you'd like to go to though and find out for sure, UCAS closes in six weeks!
Reply 3
Thanks guys! I have emailed both Universities, no reply as of yet. Some of the entry requirements for mature students can be quite vague, it was easier going straight out of college ha

Hels_vn - what are you planning to do at Uni? And is your access course through a local college, or distance learning?
Reply 4
I'm going to do diagnostic radiography, hopefully at sgul but applying to Hertfordshire and Portsmouth too as I'm in Surrey and they're all an hour from me. My access course is at a local college, I'm doing science which is chemistry, physics, biology and psychology as a minor. It's classed as full time as it's four subjects but I start at 9.15 and was finishing at 12 two days and 2 the other two days but the afternoon lectures were tutorial and study skills which have both now finished. HTH x

Quick Reply

Latest