Access Course - Access to Law (Need help!) Watch

annalise05
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,I need some help with my access to law course, if there's anyone who has completed this course and has gotten Distinctions/ gotten into Russell group universities, could you please give me some useful tips and advice on how I could excel on it. It's still very early on but I'd like the rest of my work to be at a Distinction level as I've gotten one piece of work back in which I did badly in, a P/M. I realised my essay structure was wrong and I had weak in text citation. If you also have example pieces of work could you highlight example paragraphs to help me understand how to structure a good essay with citations or check over a example piece of work from me and tell me how to improve it. I have previously done A levels so when I write essays I was used to writing essays in a certain way which isn't working for me that the P/M grade proves. Please help, all advice and help would be extremely welcome/ beneficial. Thank you!!
Avaia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I am currently doing an Access course also and currently predicted all Distinctions, so far my work has come back good. As a rough guide the best was to structure your essay is to just follow your assignment briefs (Unsure who your awarding body is but I will go off of mine). An example of one of my assignments is as follows:

• An explanation of the key rules and cases that are relevant to an aspect of criminal law. You should demonstrate your understanding of the rules using relevant statutes and/or case law. (LO 1)
  • An explanation of how the courts apply the rules of an area of criminal law in order to find a defendant guilty of an offence. (LO 2)
  • An analysis of any relevant case law and statutes that apply to the area of law and a description of any defences that may be used by a defendant accused of the particular offence. (LO 2)
  • An analysis of any changes made to the area of law over recent years and any suggestions for reform of the area of law. (LO 3)
  • An evaluation of the advantages and disadvantages of the area of law. (LO 3)

This was my ‘Criminal Law’ assignment brief, and I just followed this to structure it. First section was setting out certain rules (in my case specific offences relating to a statute), then expanding on them. Then following on from this with a connecting paragraph or sentence, I explained how these rules are applied by the court and used relevant cases etc. Then went into those cases and further expanded on the pros and cons of statutes etc. You should have an assignment brief that is similar, in the sense of it shows you what you need to do, if you follow that as a rough guide then you should be on the right track.

With regards to citing in text, its really important to do it as you are going along, if you skip it and try to do it at the end it will be problematic. In text citing is pretty simple, e.g.: ‘la la la la laaaaalala la’ – (Jones, Big Book of Stuff, Pgs 11-13, (2014)). Remember to also include your bibliography at the end of your assignment, depending on what reference style you are using it can dffer, we use Harvard, if you do too then http://www.harvardgenerator.com/references is a great site 😊

Hope this helped somewhat 😊
annalise05
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Avaia)
Hi, I am currently doing an Access course also and currently predicted all Distinctions, so far my work has come back good. As a rough guide the best was to structure your essay is to just follow your assignment briefs (Unsure who your awarding body is but I will go off of mine). An example of one of my assignments is as follows:

• An explanation of the key rules and cases that are relevant to an aspect of criminal law. You should demonstrate your understanding of the rules using relevant statutes and/or case law. (LO 1)
  • An explanation of how the courts apply the rules of an area of criminal law in order to find a defendant guilty of an offence. (LO 2)
  • An analysis of any relevant case law and statutes that apply to the area of law and a description of any defences that may be used by a defendant accused of the particular offence. (LO 2)
  • An analysis of any changes made to the area of law over recent years and any suggestions for reform of the area of law. (LO 3)
  • An evaluation of the advantages and disadvantages of the area of law. (LO 3)

This was my ‘Criminal Law’ assignment brief, and I just followed this to structure it. First section was setting out certain rules (in my case specific offences relating to a statute), then expanding on them. Then following on from this with a connecting paragraph or sentence, I explained how these rules are applied by the court and used relevant cases etc. Then went into those cases and further expanded on the pros and cons of statutes etc. You should have an assignment brief that is similar, in the sense of it shows you what you need to do, if you follow that as a rough guide then you should be on the right track.

With regards to citing in text, its really important to do it as you are going along, if you skip it and try to do it at the end it will be problematic. In text citing is pretty simple, e.g.: ‘la la la la laaaaalala la’ – (Jones, Big Book of Stuff, Pgs 11-13, (2014)). Remember to also include your bibliography at the end of your assignment, depending on what reference style you are using it can dffer, we use Harvard, if you do too then http://www.harvardgenerator.com/references is a great site 😊

Hope this helped somewhat 😊
This has been so helpful thanks! And our awarding body is OCN. Are you also doing Access to Law?
If not could you give me an example paragraph of your best work, p.s. I'm not doing criminal law so you could just use that.
I just need further clarity from a distinction point of view of how I should be writing. It's so difficult as I thought I did well as then got a bad grade from my first law assignment which was on the English Legal System vs Civil Law.

We also did not receive predicted grades yet! I'm worried I may be predicted horrible grades or what if that Pass ruins my chances of getting into the universities that I want. Luckily I want to study politics at university anyway so I need only 24 distinctions for UCL and the rest should be merits but I'm afraid that pass may ruin my chances & for kcl I need 36 at distinction and the remaining at merit...

let me know what you think/ can assist on, thank you for your help btw much appreciated! (:
Avaia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by annalise05)
This has been so helpful thanks! And our awarding body is OCN. Are you also doing Access to Law?
If not could you give me an example paragraph of your best work, p.s. I'm not doing criminal law so you could just use that.
I just need further clarity from a distinction point of view of how I should be writing. It's so difficult as I thought I did well as then got a bad grade from my first law assignment which was on the English Legal System vs Civil Law.

We also did not receive predicted grades yet! I'm worried I may be predicted horrible grades or what if that Pass ruins my chances of getting into the universities that I want. Luckily I want to study politics at university anyway so I need only 24 distinctions for UCL and the rest should be merits but I'm afraid that pass may ruin my chances & for kcl I need 36 at distinction and the remaining at merit...

let me know what you think/ can assist on, thank you for your help btw much appreciated! (:

Unfortunately I can’t give you an example of my work as it still needs to be final graded at the end of the year, and if I post any here it could show as plagiarised which I’d rather not risk. I will give you an example of a graded module brief: Name:  criminal law dis criteria.png
Views: 211
Size:  55.6 KB

You should really get predicted grades soon because you should have applied for UCAS already really. Your predicted grades will be added to your UCAS application, also, if this is a pass only then you can make up the ‘credits’ if you get only distinctions from now on 😊 You should also keep your options open in your uni choices, so apply to at least 1 uni/course that is a little under what you think you may get, just as a backup choice.

The thing that is really going to get you distinctions is showing the clear understanding of the subject, so that is via your analysis and explainations, how you have evaluated and shown you have really sourced your information and know what you are ewrting about. Grammar and spelling is also a big thing with the distinction criteria. Don’t expect to be getting distinctions on your first draft, you will need to do several drafts to really perfect the assignment. My course is Access to Law & Criminology 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (205)
61.93%
Yes- I don't like it (13)
3.93%
No- I want it (90)
27.19%
No- I don't want it (23)