The Student Room Group

TA Apprenticeships

Hi, I want to be a primary (early years) teacher when I am older, however I am not particularly enjoying college and would prefer to be out working. I have done some research and found that I could do an advanced apprenticeship as a teaching assistant then do a higher level teaching assistant course in a college for a few months then go to uni. Would anyone advise this route?? Also is there a way I could do teacher training after being a teaching assistant instead of university.
Hannah (I’m 17 by the way😂)
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi Hannah

My sister is studying the primary teaching course at uni in her 3rd year, a mate of mine is doing the apprenticeship but on the level 3 at the moment, I definitely would say the quickest way would be via the degree but it’s hard work and needs a lot of time investing in it, the apprentice way is long we and isn’t valued as much compared to the degree as the degree is appreciated more

But if you’re not enjoying college then I don’t know how you’ll feel about uni, but the apprentice route is a lot more longer and teaching is not easy, if it is something you want to do you’ll have to be really dedicated to the course

I’d advise to go for the degree but that’s my opinion, but I’d also say that you’re only 17 and you will change your mind a lot about what you want to do, so maybe don’t drop out of college and get your qualifications and see if you want to go to uni or start working after you’ve got your grades

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending