livlivlivlivliv
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Does anybody have any guidance on how to answer this public law question: “There is inadequate parliamentary control over delegated law-making which is rendered even more problematic because Henry VIII clauses exist which permit delegates legislation to be used to amend or repeal acts of parliament”
Avaia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I believe Notorious B.I.G replied to your previous thread of this title with the following advise:

"Look at all delegated authority. Legislative and Regulatory Reform Act 2006 is the most blatant Henry VIII clause user; but take note of the Parliamentary review procedure listed through sections 12 to 18.

There are numerous Home Secretary powers in relation to intro-departmental standards, most notably in policing (under PACE1984, s 66) and immigration (IA1971 s3(2)). There are also broad rule-making powers given to Secretary for Work and Pensions relating to benefits. It is arguable these are not laws but only guidance documents relating to how executive agents exercise departmental authority, but these rules appear quite "legalistic" and apply to non-departmental personnel (i.e., members of the public claiming benefits, interacting with police officers, and those trying to establish a particular immigration status)."
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (193)
14.31%
I'm not sure (60)
4.45%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.13%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.74%
I'm not a current university student (666)
49.37%

Watched Threads