prospectivemath
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
When solving trigonometric functions which can be solved using the cast diagram, is it fine if I just use the few rules, for example 180-x for cos, or if I physically draw out the sin/cos/tan graphs?

The CAST diagram bores me so much that I can’t be bothered to learn how to implement it, and therefore I find the other two methods easier to use. Will I be penalised for not using the cast diagram in my working out by the examiner or not? I believe it’s fine to use any method you wish however I just want to be sure, thanks!
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by prospectivemath)
When solving trigonometric functions which can be solved using the cast diagram, is it fine if I just use the few rules, for example 180-x for cos, or if I physically draw out the sin/cos/tan graphs?

The CAST diagram bores me so much that I can’t be bothered to learn how to implement it, and therefore I find the other two methods easier to use. Will I be penalised for not using the cast diagram in my working out by the examiner or not? I believe it’s fine to use any method you wish however I just want to be sure, thanks!
You wouldn't be penalised for not using CAST. I certainly wasn't.

The few rules you can remember if you don't like CAST are the following:

\cos(x)=\alpha \Rightarrow x=360n \pm \cos^{-1}(\alpha)

\tan(x)=\alpha \Rightarrow x=180n+\tan^{-1}(\alpha)

\sin(x)=\alpha \Rightarrow x=360n+\sin^{-1}(\alpha) as well as x=360n+180-\sin^{-1}(\alpha)

for n \in \mathbb{Z}
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
it is much easier to see what is going on with a quick sketch of the relevant curve.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by prospectivemath)

CAST shows some key properties of sin/cos/tan all in one diagram - it is useful for different types of trig questions, not just solving equations.

Drawing graphs may be slower but would be fine in an exam - CAST shouldn’t be compulsory in exams or in lessons.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
it is much easier to see what is going on with a quick sketch of the relevant curve.
Someone who is used to CAST would say the same about CAST

Both methods are fine.
thekidwhogames
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can use any method; general solutions, quick sketch of the trig graphs or CAST. Personally, I like using CAST as it contains all the info needed for trig questions in C2/C3 and it's way quicker to draw.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (163)
59.93%
I don't have everything I need (109)
40.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise