Help/ advise on making a firm University decision.

Watch
Amya2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Loughborough has offered me AAB and I'm awaiting Astons but believe it will be around BBB-ABB (if I receive an offer that is) for Psychology. I would be happy to go to either Uni but Loughborough would be my first choice- however, I am predicted ABB so I am nervous I wouldn't still be accepted after results day. So the risk would be to put it as my firm but might get rejected and end up going to my insurance. Or I could put Aston as my firm and be more likely to be accepted.
Is it worth the risk? Is Loughborough likely to still accept me if I miss the offer by a mark?
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Amya2)
Loughborough has offered me AAB and I'm awaiting Astons but believe it will be around BBB-ABB (if I receive an offer that is) for Psychology. I would be happy to go to either Uni but Loughborough would be my first choice- however, I am predicted ABB so I am nervous I wouldn't still be accepted after results day. So the risk would be to put it as my firm but might get rejected and end up going to my insurance. Or I could put Aston as my firm and be more likely to be accepted.
Is it worth the risk? Is Loughborough likely to still accept me if I miss the offer by a mark?
The clear answer here is you firm Loughborough, and have Aston as your insurance.

If you get rejected to your firm, then you go to your insurance, which would be Aston. If you get accepted into Aston, whether you firmed or insuranced it, it won’t make a difference as to whether or not you’ll get accepted. I’m not sure what reason you’d have to not put Loughborough down as your firm.

Unless you’re saying you don’t want to accept the offer at all in place of a different university?
Amya2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by FloralHybrid)
The clear answer here is you firm Loughborough, and have Aston as your insurance.

If you get rejected to your firm, then you go to your insurance, which would be Aston. If you get accepted into Aston, whether you firmed or insuranced it, it won’t make a difference as to whether or not you’ll get accepted. I’m not sure what reason you’d have to not put Loughborough down as your firm.

Unless you’re saying you don’t want to accept the offer at all in place of a different university?

The reason I have to choose between the 2 is that I have also received an unconditional offer from another Uni, which is what I was going to put as my insurance. I thought it would be a bad idea to not put that down as an option as it definitely insures a place.
FloralHybrid
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Amya2)
The reason I have to choose between the 2 is that I have also received an unconditional offer from another Uni, which is what I was going to put as my insurance. I thought it would be a bad idea to not put that down as an option as it definitely insures a place.
Ahh, so in order of preference you’d rather go to Loughborough, then Aston, then the place you’ve got an unconditional offer from.

I’d still encourage you to go for Loughborough as your firm. If it’s where you want to go, it’ll give you something to work towards as you study!
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
By the sounds of it you want Longborough so firm that! However it also seems as though you're choosing an unconditional just because it is that (correct me if I'm mistaken). If you prefer Aston to your unconditional you should put that as your insurance. I know it's nice to have that safety net but if the uni isn't for you or the other one is better then choose that. Worst case scenario you end up in clearing but I doubt that'll happen!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Amya2)
If they’ve made you an unconditional offer then they’ll still likely be glad to take you in clearing if it all goes wrong. They’re desperate for students.

You have until May at the earliest to decide. And it’s not a good idea to make it official any earlier than April. By that point you might feel more confident about your predictions and have visited all your choices and spoken to more students. Ask Loughborough about what happens if you miss your offer - they’re likely to reassure you.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Amya2)
Loughborough have been in clearing the past four years for Psychology, suggesting that they might be lenient to applicants who drop a grade. The situation could be different this year, of course.
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Amya2)

Thanks for considering us for either your firm or insurance. Just wondered if there was anything you wanted to know aside from entry requirements? I graduated from Psychology at Aston in 2014 and now work in the marketing department at Aston. If you want a chat, just quote me.

Josh
izzyb16
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am in an identical predicament! I am also predicted ABB but my favourite uni has offered me AAB so I’m not sure what to do about insurance choices etc. If it’s somewhere you really want to go place it as your firm and then pick one that you like, but meets your target grades as your insurance. As mentioned above, Loughborough is flexible with grades etc so if you don’t quite meet the grades on results day, phone them and ask if it’s still possible to get a place! Good luck with it all
Loughborough University
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Amya2)
Hi Amya2

Just in case you've not seen it - I replied on your other thread yesterday here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post74827036

Vicky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (82)
28.77%
No (203)
71.23%

Watched Threads