The Student Room Group

Referencing footnote harvard

Struggling to footnote using harvard, whether its paraphrasing or direct quotes - not sure exactly how to do it, anyone got an example? Writing 1000 words so I wanted to use footnote to save space.
Original post by Theguynextdoor
Struggling to footnote using harvard, whether its paraphrasing or direct quotes - not sure exactly how to do it, anyone got an example? Writing 1000 words so I wanted to use footnote to save space.

Have you tried google?

Harvard as in Harvard referencing?
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Harvard as in Harvard referencing?

Hiya, yes Harvard referencing.

Not sure how to cite the saame book in different chapters either, and in the billbiography if I should list them twice? Or more, if I use the same book diff chapters 3-4 times, especially if I'm short on sources (lecturer said I can do this)
Hiya, yes Harvard referencing.

Not sure how to cite the saame book in different chapters either, and in the billbiography if I should list them twice? Or more, if I use the same book diff chapters 3-4 times, especially if I'm short on sources (lecturer said I can do this)

Harvard referencing (as I understand the term) doesn't use footnotes. It uses brackets after the author's name with the date and usually also the page number.

For example:
Bloggs (2016: 17) claims that the moon is 'made of cheese'.
Or alternatively:
Alternative theories claim that the moon is made of cheese (Bloggs 2016: 17).
In this case it's a source written by Bloggs, published in 2016 and the information in question was sourced from page 17.

The full reference to the cited work is given in the bibliography at the end. I don't 100% remember precisely how to do that off the top of my head, but you can find information to that end on the internet, including websites which will create references for you.

Your second question I don't really understand. If you're using different chapters of the same book and it's a book with a single author (or multiple authors, all of whom wrote the whole book) then you only include it in the bibliography once, but signpost to the relevant page or pages in the individual references. If it's a book where many authors each write a chapter (then someone else edits the whole book) then presumably you need to list each chapter that you reference separately by author name.
how to use ibid for repeating reference without footnote
Original post by nawal sultan

Harvard referencing still doesn't use footnotes, nor (as far as I can remember coming across), 'ibid' either.
Original post by nawal sultan

Harvard referencing can use ibid, though universities vary on whether they wish you to do so. Essentially, you can use it only if the previous reference is the same as the current one, e.g.

The grass is green (Bloggs (2017) 8). The sky is blue (ibid.).

Where the page number is different, simply place a comma after ibid followed by the new page reference. This means that the source is the same, but the page number is different.

Additional rules: if you're using in-text referencing as above, you cannot use ibid to refer to a source in the previous paragraph; a full reference is needed. Similarly, you cannot carry a reference across a page, i.e. if the reference ibid relates to is on the previous page, then you have to provide the full reference again. Finally, if the source changes between references, you cannot use ibid, i.e.

The grass is green (Bloggs (2017) 8). Water is colourless (Dodds (1970) 27). The sky is blue (Bloggs (2017) 8).

Hope that helps.

PS Also make sure to italicise ibid.

Quick Reply

Latest