Turn on thread page Beta

Kei's Journey to AAAA (GYG 2017-18) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi! My name is Kei and here I am with a 2017-18 GYG! :hi:

Okay, I'm here to 'beat procrastination' and 'motivate myself' but let's be real, I'm here to procrastinate and nose around, more like snoop around, to see what other people are doing with their life. :ninja: Based on my grades, you probably can't tell I procrastinate but I'm very good at making people believe that I have my life together but the reality is: I'm just very good at getting stuff done last minute.

This post has been updated as of July 6th 2018. As this GYG is nearing its end, I've put most of the intro in spoilers just to clean it up a little. I've also added an index of all the updates I've ever written just so you don't have to read through all those hug chains.

The All-Important GCSEs
    Spoiler:
    Show

I procrastinated so hard through my GCSEs that I'm not even sure whether I should be proud of my grades or not :dontknow: (I mean, I was clearing out my wardrobe on the day of my B2, B3 exams! It was annoying me!) but here they are:

English Literature: 7
    English Language: 7
    Maths: A* (early entry - 2016)
    Statistics: A* (early entry - 2016)
    Further Maths: A*
    Biology: A
    Chemistry: A*
    Physics: A*
    Economics: A
    Spanish: A*
    History: A*
    Computing: A*
    Arabic: B (early entry - 2015)

I'm slightly disappointed with Bio; I was 2 UMS off!! (It must have been because I was clearing out my wardrobe instead of learning keywords and terms) I went and got it remarked and it was STILL 2 UMS off :cry:
    I worked my nose off for English Lit and Econ so I'm kinda bummed at those too
    Arabic... meh! I wasn't really into it so I just kinda bobbed through it... The exams were really expensive compared to my other exams though...

Overall, I got 8 A*, 4 A and a B

Half-Hearted Aspirations
    Spoiler:
    Show

Right now, I'm not really sure as to what I want to do but I'm kinda wavering between studying Chemical Engineering, Maths, Chemistry and Natural Sciences at uni.

I'd like to get into Cambridge (ooh... aspirations) to study either Maths or NatSci but I'm also very interested in going to Singapore coz I get a scholarship there, then a 3-yr bond afterwards so I've got a job afterwards, which is great (for both me and my parents' pocket.. Economising101)

AS Levels
    Spoiler:
    Show

This year, I'm doing AS Levels. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I was going to do an EPQ then decided it wasn't really worth my time. I would like to get AAAA for AS level, but I think I'll be okay with an AAAB/AABB.

Next year, I might drop a subject, but I'm a little undecided... It'll probably be Physics though, I'm just not into Physics like I'm into my other subjects.

The main goal this year is really to get off my bum and really work... not just watch YouTube videos or anime or play Pokemon TCGO or any mobile game like Pocket Camp and Homescapes (I'm so sad) whenever I'm free

Subject Details
    Spoiler:
    Show

I figured I would need a section like this in case anyone else also does the same subjects

Maths (Edexcel)
    New spec this year! Guess I'm lucky to be a guinea pig? For those of you who don't know, Edexcel Maths no longer has modules! (I know right, it's shocking) Unfortunately for me, that means I have to take both Stats :yucky: and Mechanics. How fun is that? I mean, I could just skip out revising the Stats but then that's approximately 16.7% of my grade gone... like whoosh!!
    Predicted: A

Further Maths (Edexcel)
    New spec this year as well! Fortunately, they haven't made it compulsory to do Stats (phew...) but I think it's only a matter of time before they do (hopefully, it'll be next century and not this century) This means... THAT I'M FREE TO CHOOSE OPTIONS!! Unfortunately, my school only allows us to take: Stats 1 and Mechanics 1, Stats 1 and Decision 1 or Mechanics 1 and Mechanics 2. Being an absolute hater of stats, I picked the only option that I could take that didn't involve taking stats. What happened to pure? :cry:

Chemistry (AQA)
    This is kinda a new spec but the first A-level exams were last year so at least the teachers know what they're doing

Physics (AQA)
    Same as Chemistry I haven't picked my A-level options yet but that's next year so let's leave that until next year.

Pointless Facts About Me
    Spoiler:
    Show

I'm 5' exactly... not really, I'm 151.5cm tall, so slightly less than 5' but that's what I tell people I just gave up on the idea that I would grow when I was like 13.

I'm a pianist and I play a little violin. :nopity: I'm hopeless with practising and I'm not that good and honestly, I don't really know why I haven't quit yet. In the future, I would love to learn the tuba

Huge fan of books right here, although I haven't really read one recently. Talking about reading... I need to get started on my Maths/Chem/Physics Reading List.

I am a bit of an otaku/gamer :pika:but I'm not really into it. My sister calls me a wannabe but meh...

I have a studyblr and a studygram (username: rainynightclouds) I'm not going to ask you to follow me because my photos are :poo: and honestly, I've just given up on the aesthetic. I also have a notes website that I've deleted. It took up too much of my time and honestly, I would much rather do something else with my time. I mean, I can't even revise with a screen in front of me half the time.

My life crisis right now is probably choosing a uni course and trying to keep up with school work. How do people manage with 4 subjects AND extra work out of class, actually? I'm actually drowning in work. :goodnight:

My week starts on Sunday so please don't be too surprised if I have school/exams/stuff happening on Sundays. That also means my weekend is Friday and Saturday

*UPDATE* Index
    I'm making an index :yes: It's because I realise that not everyone wants to read through all the replies to my posts and probably just want to read the posts so here it is:

This is currently a work in progress because I still can't see the time-stamps from June onwards so I'm going to finish this later..

So yes, this is plain old boring me
    For those of you who haven't had a chance to read my posts before, I suggest making a cup of tea and enjoying the read. It's pretty mundane but... I guess that's why you're here

- Kei

ReputationRep:

Nov 29, 2017

Today started well. I woke up at 6am and did some light revision for a Further Mech test that was scheduled for today. I went to school... blah, blah, blah... life goes on... Anyways, I get to my Further Mech class and no one's there! I'm like 'Am I in the wrong room?' My teacher walks in, asks where everyone is and just starts the test. Everyone saunters in 5 minutes late and all of a sudden, I CAN'T THINK! Panicking, I pick up the paper and just randomly writes something down... It helped, kinda... This is just becoming a rant... Anyways, the test wasn't too bad yet I can't help but think that I've made a few slip-ups somewhere...

Oh, and I got my Physics test on waves back Ya girl got 48/49

It wasn't a great morning but the Physics test made me happy, you'd think the day would go on just as well... Well, no.

First, I get a sore throat... I think it was kinda there this morning and just gradually got worse. Then, I have to stay in school for an extra hour coz my siblings decided to do some extra-curriculars and I don't exactly have a means to get home until an hour after school. So I go home with a splitting headache and all I want to do is sleep, only to find that my bed has been stripped of its sheets So I put some sheets on the bed and sleep, only to wake up 2 hours later with an even worse sore throat

Let's just say it's been hectic and right after this post goes up, I'm going back to bed...

I hope whoever reads this has a better day than I did
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    :woo: That physics result is amazing!
    (And you should definitely do maths at uni...not that I'm bias)
    Your GCSE grades are great
    Best of luck with your blog :yay:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    That physics result is amazing! (And you should definitely do maths at uni...not that I'm bias) Your GCSE grades are great Best of luck with your blog

Thank you!! My original choice was Maths (I decided this in Year 8 that I would study Maths at Cambridge) but then for some reason, I switched to ChemEng then decided NatSci was probably a good choice as well so right now, I'm very undecided
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by nyxnko_)
    Thank you!! My original choice was Maths (I decided this in Year 8 that I would study Maths at Cambridge) but then for some reason, I switched to ChemEng then decided NatSci was probably a good choice as well so right now, I'm very undecided
    That's perfectly normal I'm just kidding!
    You have plenty of time to research and find what interests you most!
    (Although Cambridge :noway:)

ReputationRep:
    That's perfectly normal I'm just kidding!
    You have plenty of time to research and find what interests you most!
    (Although Cambridge :noway:)
    Ahhh okay!! What's wrong with Cambridge? Or is it just that your an Oxford fan?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Ahhh okay!! What's wrong with Cambridge? Or is it just that your an Oxford fan?
    Yeah I'm an Oxford fan.
    I know Cambridge is brilliant though, it's just a lot further for me so I wouldn't want to go there (plus family history with Oxford and nothing with Cambridge makes Oxford personally more special) And since I want to do maths STEP near my exams doesn't sound like my idea of fun...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm an Oxford fan.
    I know Cambridge is brilliant though, it's just a lot further for me so I wouldn't want to go there (plus family history with Oxford and nothing with Cambridge makes Oxford personally more special) And since I want to do maths STEP near my exams doesn't sound like my idea of fun...
    Oh okay. Good luck with your application to Oxford
    Just out of interest, the MAT is done during Year 13 and STEP is done when u sit your A-Levels, right?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Oh okay. Good luck with your application to Oxford
    Just out of interest, the MAT is done during Year 13 and STEP is done when u sit your A-Levels, right?
    Thank you Good luck with deciding which course to apply for!
    MAT is done in November of year 13, while STEP is done in June of year 13 yes :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Good luck with deciding which course to apply for!
    MAT is done in November of year 13, while STEP is done in June of year 13 yes :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Haha thanks
    You're welcome

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Nov 30, 2017 Pt. 1

Guess who’s off school today? It’s great to finally have a long weekend So what have I done so far today? Not much to be completely honest. I got up at 6am again (I stuck on school time xD) but then spent the morning on social media (TSR is included in this, even though it is technically a forum) After breakfast, I watched the latest episodes of Black Clover and Boruto.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Kakashi makes a reappearance!!

I don’t really watch anime on a daily basis, just once a week when the shows I follow release new episodes.

So yes, that was my morning. I tried to clean up my room so now, it’s slightly tidier than before.

I don’t feel as bad today as I did yesterday. I was just so sleepy and my head and throat and eyes just hurt.

PS. I forgot to mention this yesterday but I finally got my UKMT results back!! I got GOLD I’m so happy

ReputationRep:

Nov 30, 2017 Pt. 2

I had cold pizza for lunch. It was pretty good though. I’m deciding I like cold pizza. There’s one thing in life that I am good at and that is procrastinating. I am a professional procrastinator. I spent an hour today after lunch playing Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Ahhhhh! There’s a Christmas event and I really want the itemsssss but getting the Candy Canes is such a pain!!!

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t regret it, yet. I’ll regret it on Sunday when I still have a ton of work to do and the long weekend is nearing its end.

After that, I did spend about an hour practising the piano, so I did kinda make up for my lack of productivity. It’s relaxing, but to an extent. When you have so many drills to play through before you actually get to the pieces, it becomes so wearisome. I swear, it takes more time for me to play through my ‘warm-up’ than it actually does for me to practise one of my pieces.

Then, I spent another half hour playing Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp. Just saying, I’m not addicted to this game. I only ever have a chance to play it on weekends coz it’s on my mum’s iPad and she uses it most of the time. She disapproves, of course, as she often does, but I think she doesn’t actually know how to delete it. This is starting to feel a bit like a diary.

I spent the next half hour of my life getting distracted by TSR. There are just so many forums that it’s practically impossible to not get distracted. Honestly, though, I think I need to have a bit more self-discipline.

I had tennis this evening. As usual, I play terribly. I come home meaning to be super productive and end up being distracted by: you guessed it, TSR. Nothing against TSR :heart: I just need a bit more self-discipline. So about half an hour before ‘bedtime’ (my mother needs to know that I am now almost 17 and can decide when I want to go to bed), I start my Maths homework and just about put a dent in it before I decide I’m just not up for it. I’m going to leave it on my desk and just go to bed. Maybe I’ll finish it next morning.

Anyways, I hope you’ve had a far more productive day than I have had. I've attached a photo of my Maths homework but I doubt it's very interesting, especially with the poor lighting.

Tag List:
    Please tell me if you would like to be removed/added to the list
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

Dec 1, 2017

‘Pinch. Punch. First day of the month. No returns.’
    Happy December, everyone!! It’s finally almost Christmas!! (not that I celebrate, but it still makes me feel really happy and festive) How is everyone planning to celebrate Christmas? I’m probably going to sit and home and sleep or something >.<

Today, I was probably less productive than yesterday, if that’s even possible. This lack of productivity is going to be a huge problem if I still want those As at the end of this year… Still, I did manage to finish my Maths homework, which, to be fair, wasn’t actually that much. I just hate Stats so much. It’s just so useless and so ambiguous and so vague (sorry, statistics fans) Anyways, I plan to at least do my Organic Chem homework later tonight, so at least it’s out of the way. Then, I’m going to read Bricking It for TSR’s Book Club.
    And that should be it for today.

I think I’ll make my goals for tomorrow here so that it’s posted and on my blog.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Revise for Physical Chem
    • Review ACT English (this has been on my to-do list for forever)
    • Maybe look over Chapter 8 in Physics
    • Practice the piano, properly….

No photos today... I didn't take any

Tag Squad:
    please tell me if you would like to be added/removed from this

ReputationRep:

Dec 1, 2017

Happy December, everyone!! It’s finally almost Christmas!! (not that I celebrate, but it still makes me feel really happy and festive) How is everyone planning to celebrate Christmas? I’m probably going to sit and home and sleep or something >.<

Today, I was probably less productive than yesterday, if that’s even possible. This lack of productivity is going to be a huge problem if I still want those As at the end of this year… Still, I did manage to finish my Maths homework, which, to be fair, wasn’t actually that much. I just hate Stats so much. It’s just so useless and so ambiguous and so vague (sorry, statistics fans) Anyways, I plan to at least do my Organic Chem homework later tonight, so at least it’s out of the way. Then, I’m going to read Bricking It for TSR’s Book Club.

I think I’ll make my goals for tomorrow here so that it’s posted and on my blog.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Tag Squad:
    I don't celebrate Christmas either but I love the festivities too! How are you finding AS Chemistry? I really love it at GCSE.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello! I'm loving this blog so far :rave:

I'm really oddly fascinated by the picture of your calculator on yesterdays post, I wouldn't know where to get started using a graphical one! Being the sad maths person that I am, although I don't need one yet (perks of being on the old maths A-Level specification) I think I might invest in one. :teehee:

I also very much relate to Pocket Camp being a huge distraction, I can't seem to get myself off it, made it to level 23 in a week of playing! :oops:

Well done on your Gold in UKMT, you should be super proud! :hugs:

I'll be following this thread along. :yep:

ReputationRep:

Nov 30, 2017 Pt. 2

I had cold pizza for lunch. It was pretty good though. I’m deciding I like cold pizza. There’s one thing in life that I am good at and that is procrastinating. I am a professional procrastinator. I spent an hour today after lunch playing Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Ahhhhh! There’s a Christmas event and I really want the itemsssss but getting the Candy Canes is such a pain!!!

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t regret it, yet. I’ll regret it on Sunday when I still have a ton of work to do and the long weekend is nearing its end.

After that, I did spend about an hour practising the piano, so I did kinda make up for my lack of productivity. It’s relaxing, but to an extent. When you have so many drills to play through before you actually get to the pieces, it becomes so wearisome. I swear, it takes more time for me to play through my ‘warm-up’ than it actually does for me to practise one of my pieces.

Then, I spent another half hour playing Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp. Just saying, I’m not addicted to this game. I only ever have a chance to play it on weekends coz it’s on my mum’s iPad and she uses it most of the time. She disapproves, of course, as she often does, but I think she doesn’t actually know how to delete it. This is starting to feel a bit like a diary.

I spent the next half hour of my life getting distracted by TSR. There are just so many forums that it’s practically impossible to not get distracted. Honestly, though, I think I need to have a bit more self-discipline.

I had tennis this evening. As usual, I play terribly. I come home meaning to be super productive and end up being distracted by: you guessed it, TSR. Nothing against TSR :heart: I just need a bit more self-discipline. So about half an hour before ‘bedtime’ (my mother needs to know that I am now almost 17 and can decide when I want to go to bed), I start my Maths homework and just about put a dent in it before I decide I’m just not up for it. I’m going to leave it on my desk and just go to bed. Maybe I’ll finish it next morning.

Anyways, I hope you’ve had a far more productive day than I have had. I've attached a photo of my Maths homework but I doubt it's very interesting, especially with the poor lighting.

Tag List:
    Please tell me if you would like to be removed/added to the list
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That calculator looks cool

Good luck and all the best :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphoricgirl)
    I don't celebrate Christmas either but I love the festivities too! How are you finding AS Chemistry? I really love it at GCSE.
    really interesting!! especially organic chemistry! it's a lot harder than gcse though. the first test we did, there were so many curve balls that I was like, what is this?

(Original post by EmilySarah00)
    Hello! I'm loving this blog so far :rave:

I'm really oddly fascinated by the picture of your calculator on yesterdays post, I wouldn't know where to get started using a graphical one! Being the sad maths person that I am, although I don't need one yet (perks of being on the old maths A-Level specification) I think I might invest in one. :teehee:

I also very much relate to Pocket Camp being a huge distraction, I can't seem to get myself off it, made it to level 23 in a week of playing! :oops:

Well done on your Gold in UKMT, you should be super proud! :hugs:

I'll be following this thread along. :yep:
    it's not a graphical calculator it does have some pretty cool functions though (I think it was about £20?)

I know right? Pocket Camp is just so addicting! I found out about the winter event yesterday and I've already completed most of the goals... is that bad?

Thank you!! :heart:

(Original post by Lychee628)
    That calculator looks cool

Good luck and all the best :thumbsup:
    Thank you :heart:

ReputationRep:

Dec 1, 2017

Spoiler:
    Show

Tag Squad:
    Thanks for the tag😊 I’m really excited for Christmas because one of my friends who doesn’t celebrate Christmas is staying with us and I think it’ll be so fun 😊🎅🏼
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonicaD)
    Congrats on your amazing grades and your Gold in the UKMT! Good luck with everything and continue the hard work, I'm sure you'll get into Cambridge
    Thank you!! :heart:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.