The Student Room Group

Kei's Journey to AAAA (GYG 2017-18)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Lemur14
On the bright side I managed to waste 90 minutes this morning talking to my friend....so hopefully I can get something done this evening now!

hopefully... 90 minutes of talking to a friend is quite a long time, tbh.
Original post by nyxnko_
hopefully... 90 minutes of talking to a friend is quite a long time, tbh.

It wasn't quite 90 minutes, probably more like 60, but it was a complete waste of time (the only free I've wasted on that all year though which is good). We're not even that close, we just came from the same primary and have siblings in the same year so relate to a lot of stuff :lol:
Reply 42
Original post by Lemur14
It wasn't quite 90 minutes, probably more like 60, but it was a complete waste of time (the only free I've wasted on that all year though which is good). We're not even that close, we just came from the same primary and have siblings in the same year so relate to a lot of stuff :lol:

haha okay. i have friends like that too. i hope your evening is more productive (i feel like i'm just repeating the same thing that I've said over and over again)
Original post by nyxnko_
haha okay. i have friends like that too. i hope your evening is more productive (i feel like i'm just repeating the same thing that I've said over and over again)

No worries, I'm quite happy to be wished to have a more productive evening many times :lol: I often feel like I write the same stuff on many people's GYGs as well :hide: There's only so many different ways you can encourage people!
Original post by nyxnko_

Dec 4, 2017

This morning was terrible. I woke up with swollen eyes, a blocked nose and a scratchy throat, plus the fact that I couldn't sleep last night and spent most of it turning and tossing. (Remind me never to drink coffee right before going to bed). Thank goodness that it didn’t last and that I had a free period right that morning. I don’t think I would have been able to concentrate if I had a class. Still, the free was pretty productive. I managed to finish the Math(s… it should have an ’s’ but it doesn’t because it’s American) section of the ACT.

Physics
My teacher decided to teach Young’s double slit experiment and we even did an experiment with a laser (more like my teacher demonstrated and we, the students, watched, slightly disinterested and bored, or at least I was, I hate the topic of waves).

Maths
Did the Chapter 4 in the Applied Textbook. It’s about correlation and is probably the most boring and pointless thing that I’ve ever learnt about. ‘Describe the correlation of this graph.’ Duh, it’s obviously positive, negative or none. Anyways, it’s not difficult. (Says this and gets a B/C on the next test :oops: )

Further Mechanics
So happy!! I got 29/30 on that test that I did last Wednesday!! I’m slightly peeved about the fact that I missed an easy mark but hey, it could have gone a lot worse. There were a whole range of grades in my class. Or so my teacher says.

Further Pure
Meh… we started matrices. It was pretty much a review lesson because it was in the Further Maths GCSE last year and it’s pretty boring but I’ll credit my teacher because he always tries to make stuff interesting for us by adding in bits of extra information that we wouldn’t have learnt elsewhere. *sidenote* What is happening to me? I used to love pure maths but now I just find it so pointless and repetitive and just so boring. :frown:

I think today was a pretty good day. They handed out our reports to us today and mine was really good, if slightly intimidating :smile: My teachers seem to think that I’m working at an A and that I’ll get an A at the end of the year if I continue working the way I am. Lol, no. I crammed for all their tests and I feel like I have a bit more work to do and that I need a bit more motivation.

Does anyone have a piano exam coming up? Mine’s in 4 days and I’m stressing out. I haven’t really conveyed the magnitude of my nervousness about this exam and how important it is to me. I’ve played the instrument for about 10 years, although I did take a bit of break in Year 10 to learn the violin but I think after this exam, I would like to fully quit. It’s enjoyable but I feel it’s making me more anxious, instead of being an outlet for me to express myself. This exam represents closure, I guess and I would really like to pass, not pass with distinction, just pass. If I pass with distinction, great. If not, I would at least like to pass. Hopefully, it goes well.

Tonight, I’ll probably try and finish my physical Chem notes and maybe that practice ACT test that I started last night and didn’t really finish… because they’re so darn long.

KEY DATES
December 6: Physical Chem Chapter 3 Test :frown: AND a dental appointment that will probably take forever :frown:
December 7: Extra piano lesson
December 8: ATCL Piano Exam :frown:
December 9: ACT :frown:
December 10: Organic Chem Chapter 15 Test :frown:
December 13: Physics Waves Test
December 14: END OF TERM :biggrin:

Tag Squad
Thank you for your support and/or motivating me through your own GYG.
@Lemur14 @mez_merising @euphoricgirl @EmilySarah00 @gcsemusicsucks @MorgzC @colivia12 @Hana_bunny @Lychee628 @MonicaD @Retsek @AryanGh @melody.pond @hayama093 @A.N123 @04MR17 @Protostar @faithoshxo

thanks for the tag :smile: currently waiting for the kettle to boil so I can make a cuppa and read up on your posts
Reply 45
Original post by faithoshxo
thanks for the tag :smile: currently waiting for the kettle to boil so I can make a cuppa and read up on your posts

enjoy ur tea :smile: (and the read, i guess)
I am sooo happy that you got a good report and people who cram for test and get a good result are my role models honestly, well done to you!!!
I set up a number of cues that would remind me to stay motivated and not procrastinate. Little things such as having my uni requirements as my phone wallpaper, having motivational posters around the room and the likes. Somehow all that actually worked
hope you feel better soon xxx
Reply 49
Original post by Hana_bunny
I am sooo happy that you got a good report and people who cram for test and get a good result are my role models honestly, well done to you!!!

Thank you!! Really, don't cram for tests too much. It really wears you out :smile:

Original post by Manzar07
I set up a number of cues that would remind me to stay motivated and not procrastinate. Little things such as having my uni requirements as my phone wallpaper, having motivational posters around the room and the likes. Somehow all that actually worked

Ah okay. I should try and set those up too. Maybe they'll help me start working (or they might just distract me more )

Original post by mez_merising
hope you feel better soon xxx

Thank you :heart:
Reply 50

Dec 5, 2017

Arrghhhhhhh!! There’s only 3 more days until my piano exam and I AM STARTING TO FREAK OUT!! Breathe………… Okay, I guess I need to work on my octaves in the first piece, pace myself in the second, make sure my notes are clear in the third, clean up my cadenza and page 17 for the fourth and just make sure the fifth one is good. That sounds like a lot to do in 3 days. I hope I’ll make it.

Piano aside, I think I had a decent day. My throat acts up in the morning but it did get better in the afternoon. I hope it stays like that for at least a while.

Physics
My teacher announced that we had a test and that he’d like not to spend our last three lessons of term revising, so I was like, then what do you want us to do? Of course, certain things cannot be said to a teacher, especially out loud, so this was all in my head. It’s funny because we did spend this lesson revising. :smile:

Maths
I hate double maths sometimes. I love the subject, I just hate my class and my teacher because he’s so boring and doesn’t let me work ahead, even though I’ve done the same things that we’re doing in class right now for the last few years (not really, but I’ve done it enough to know it pretty well). Today, we did probability. We didn’t even do conditional probability or the hard stuff in probability (whatever it is). Today, we spent 2 hours talking about mutually exclusive events, independent events and Venn diagrams, which, as far as I’m concerned, is a huge waste of my time.

Chemistry
I enjoy double Chemistry at the end of a Tuesday. My teacher’s always so enthusiastic (most of the time) and today wasn’t really that different. She gets us to work and always explains stuff to the best of her ability when we’re stuck. (It’s a pity I can’t say the same for my other Chemistry teacher). Enough about teachers, we did reactions of alcohols today and oxidising primary and secondary alcohols and why tertiary alcohols can’t be oxidised easily. We also covered Tollen’s reagent and Fehling’s solution, which was nice because we got to do a little practical, even though the aldehyde and ketone stank. Oh well… Also, our chapter 15 test got moved to Tuesday :smile: which means that I have more time to revise for it :smile:

I also had a free today and did the Reading section of the same ACT paper that I started this Sunday. I need to get that finished and start a new one. Anyways, I got 36 on that section and I AM SO HAPPY!! I didn’t really expect to do that well since the questions are always a little ambiguous. Still, I hope the real thing goes that well.

Tonight, I’ll probably revise for my physical Chem test tomorrow and hope for the best.

Key Dates
December 6: Physical Chem Chapter 3 Test :frown: AND a dental appointment that will probably take forever :frown:
December 10: Physics Chapter 8 Test :frown:
December 12: Organic Chem Chapter 15 Test :smile:

Tag Squad
As always, thank you for being my supporters and motivators.
@Lemur14 @mez_merising @euphoricgirl @EmilySarah00 @gcsemusicsucks @MorgzC @colivia12 @Hana_bunny @Lychee628 @MonicaD @Retsek @AryanGh @melody.pond @hayama093 @A.N123 @04MR17 @Protostar @faithoshxo
Original post by nyxnko_

Dec 5, 2017

Arrghhhhhhh!! There’s only 3 more days until my piano exam and I AM STARTING TO FREAK OUT!! Breathe………… Okay, I guess I need to work on my octaves in the first piece, pace myself in the second, make sure my notes are clear in the third, clean up my cadenza and page 17 for the fourth and just make sure the fifth one is good. That sounds like a lot to do in 3 days. I hope I’ll make it.

Piano aside, I think I had a decent day. My throat acts up in the morning but it did get better in the afternoon. I hope it stays like that for at least a while.

Physics
My teacher announced that we had a test and that he’d like not to spend our last three lessons of term revising, so I was like, then what do you want us to do? Of course, certain things cannot be said to a teacher, especially out loud, so this was all in my head. It’s funny because we did spend this lesson revising. :smile:

Maths
I hate double maths sometimes. I love the subject, I just hate my class and my teacher because he’s so boring and doesn’t let me work ahead, even though I’ve done the same things that we’re doing in class right now for the last few years (not really, but I’ve done it enough to know it pretty well). Today, we did probability. We didn’t even do conditional probability or the hard stuff in probability (whatever it is). Today, we spent 2 hours talking about mutually exclusive events, independent events and Venn diagrams, which, as far as I’m concerned, is a huge waste of my time.

Chemistry
I enjoy double Chemistry at the end of a Tuesday. My teacher’s always so enthusiastic (most of the time) and today wasn’t really that different. She gets us to work and always explains stuff to the best of her ability when we’re stuck. (It’s a pity I can’t say the same for my other Chemistry teacher). Enough about teachers, we did reactions of alcohols today and oxidising primary and secondary alcohols and why tertiary alcohols can’t be oxidised easily. We also covered Tollen’s reagent and Fehling’s solution, which was nice because we got to do a little practical, even though the aldehyde and ketone stank. Oh well… Also, our chapter 15 test got moved to Tuesday :smile: which means that I have more time to revise for it :smile:

I also had a free today and did the Reading section of the same ACT paper that I started this Sunday. I need to get that finished and start a new one. Anyways, I got 36 on that section and I AM SO HAPPY!! I didn’t really expect to do that well since the questions are always a little ambiguous. Still, I hope the real thing goes that well.

Tonight, I’ll probably revise for my physical Chem test tomorrow and hope for the best.

Key Dates
December 10: Physics Chapter 8 Test :frown:
December 12: Organic Chem Chapter 15 Test :smile:

Tag Squad
As always, thank you for being my supporters and motivators.

Keep it up and pray that I do well in my Jan exams :lol:
Reply 53
Original post by Lychee628
Keep it up and pray that I do well in my Jan exams :lol:

Thank you!!!
Original post by 04MR17

That is really sweet! Thank you :heart: I think you're awesome too :smile:
Hey, good luck with your test and dental appointment tomorrow. Xx
Reply 55
Original post by Hana_bunny
Hey, good luck with your test and dental appointment tomorrow. Xx

thanks :smile: i really hope that test goes well and the dental appointment doesn't take too long.
Reply 56
*Update* Dec 5, 2017

I have finished my chapter 3 bonding notes for physical chemistry whilst Skyping one of my best friends (who I haven't seen for ages). It would have been a good night if only I didn't step on a dead cockroach (did I mention my hatred for all things moving?). My foot is still suffering emotional trauma.
good luck with your piano exam!! im sure you'll do fab xx
what grade are you doing??
Reply 58
Original post by mez_merising
good luck with your piano exam!! im sure you'll do fab xx
what grade are you doing??

i'm doing my diploma :smile: i'm so nervous... thank you tho :heart:
Original post by nyxnko_
i'm doing my diploma :smile: i'm so nervous... thank you tho :heart:

oh wow!

Quick Reply

Latest