LMH OXFORD
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Have you ever wanted to apply to Oxford University but don’t think you have the grades?

Have you always thought that Oxford is a place for martians?!

Do you want to have a year’s free tuition and accommodation at Oxford?

Do you love your subject and think you could thrive with the right tuition?

If you answered yes to any of these, then our Foundation Year is perfect for you!

The Foundation Year programme:
  • Provides a year of fully funded tuition at that enables students to reach their full academic potential
  • Gives students the teaching and support they need to progress to a full degree at Oxford or another top university
  • Has lowered entrance requirements (e.g. typically BBB for a course that requires AAA for direct undergraduate applicants at Oxford)
  • Is a fully funded year of tuition at LMH, with free accommodation and a generous stipend for living expenses

If you don’t believe us then listen to Vee, a former Foundation Year student.

This scheme runs separately to UCAS applications, so even if you have already applied to university through UCAS you can make another application to the LMH Foundation Year and it will not affect your current UCAS application. We also welcome applications even if you have already been rejected by Oxbridge.

The deadline for applications is the 21st February 2018: APPLY NOW or ask any questions here - I'm tagging in fadas12 howardbakerd123 @cherellemalongo @beulahamponsa (all fantastic students who have been or are on the course)
Cherelle Malongo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello!

I'm Cherelle, and I'm one of the current foundation year students, studying Classical Archaeology and Ancient History at LMH. I've only been here for 10 weeks (we arrive here a little earlier than other students) and it has, honestly, been so life-changing. It's a cliche, but it's true. So far, I've grown in academic and personal confidence. The people at LMH are lovely, and it's partly due to the inclusive atmosphere at LMH. As Zahra said, there is so, so much to gain from applying, and you've nothing to lose, so, "just do it!".

No question is a stupid question, so feel free to ask me anything
howardbakerd123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!

I'm David and I did music on the foundation course last year, so in first year now

This course has been life-changing for me - it has thoroughly set me up for the degree e.g. with academic writing, debating, thinking outside the box and confidence in verbalising my ideas. Plus it's given me a head start for uni life in general xD It gives you a year to settle in and get used to LMH, while not having to worry about any costs (all fully funded).

I honestly love it here at LMH - so many lovely and genuine people here - I feel accepted here and free to be me I've fitted in here regardless of my background

Majority of people who come here are convinced they're not good enough, so don't let that stop you applying

Let me know if you have an questions x
honestly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LMH OXFORD)
Have you ever wanted to apply to Oxford University but don’t think you have the grades?

If you answered yes to any of these, then our Foundation Year is perfect for you!

• Provides a year of fully funded tuition at that enables students to reach their full academic potential
  • Gives students the teaching and support they need to progress to a full degree at Oxford or another top university
  • Has lowered entrance requirements (e.g. typically BBB for a course that requires AAA for direct undergraduate applicants at Oxford)
  • Is a fully funded year of tuition at LMH, with free accommodation and a generous stipend for living expenses

This scheme runs separately to UCAS applications, so even if you have already applied to university through UCAS you can make another application to the LMH Foundation Year and it will not affect your current UCAS application. We also welcome applications even if you have already been rejected by Oxbridge.

The deadline for applications is the 21st February 2018: APPLY NOW or ask any questions here - I'm tagging in fadas12 howardbakerd123 @cherellemalongo @beulahamponsa (all fantastic students who have been or are on the course)
(Original post by Cherelle Malongo)
Hello!

I'm Cherelle, and I'm one of the current foundation year students, studying Classical Archaeology and Ancient History at LMH. I've only been here for 10 weeks (we arrive here a little earlier than other students) and it has, honestly, been so life-changing. It's a cliche, but it's true. So far, I've grown in academic and personal confidence. The people at LMH are lovely, and it's partly due to the inclusive atmosphere at LMH. As Zahra said, there is so, so much to gain from applying, and you've nothing to lose, so, "just do it!".

(Original post by fadas12)
Hi,

I'm Zahra and I am a 1st year Law student at LMH (the best college!). I did the foundation year last year and am currently finishing up my 1st term of undergraduate Law. The foundation year was an amazing year and I learned so much and met so many great people. I would encourage everyone to apply because there is nothing to lose and so much to gain!

Feel free to ask me any law related questions or anything about societies, LMH and Oxford in general- and I'll try my best to answer
(Original post by howardbakerd123)
Hey!

I'm David and I did music on the foundation course last year, so in first year now

This course has been life-changing for me - it has thoroughly set me up for the degree e.g. with academic writing, debating, thinking outside the box and confidence in verbalising my ideas. Plus it's given me a head start for uni life in general xD It gives you a year to settle in and get used to LMH, while not having to worry about any costs (all fully funded).

I honestly love it here at LMH - so many lovely and genuine people here - I feel accepted here and free to be me I've fitted in here regardless of my background

Majority of people who come here are convinced they're not good enough, so don't let that stop you applying

How very inspirational! I think LMH as well it's beneficiaries of this scheme should never forget the pioneering spirit behind this wonderfully accessible opportunity; Alan Rusbridger. Who might I add, is reclaiming the term "progressive" from a derogatory term for campus nonsense, to what is it meant to be - developing policies to enrich life for everybody, such as the foundation year programme.
xxxtentacion..
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cherelle Malongo)
Hello!

Hi,

I'm Zahra and I am a 1st year Law student at LMH (the best college!). I did the foundation year last year and am currently finishing up my 1st term of undergraduate Law. The foundation year was an amazing year and I learned so much and met so many great people. I would encourage everyone to apply because there is nothing to lose and so much to gain!

Feel free to ask me any law related questions or anything about societies, LMH and Oxford in general- and I'll try my best to answer
Hey!

Hey! Did you find the work load difficult in the first year? How about your first undergrad year? Also once you qualify at the end of it, would you have a weaker chance of getting jobs because you did a foundation year?
howardbakerd123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xxxtentacion..)
Hey! Did you find the work load difficult in the first year? How about your first undergrad year? Also once you qualify at the end of it, would you have a weaker chance of getting jobs because you did a foundation year?
Hey!

I found the work load for the foundation year quite challenging - but was sooo worth it and really fulfilling, and it means my 1st has been so much easier than what it would be without the foundation year It's given me a head start and means I'm not shucked in the deep end.

I doubt it'd decrease your employability, being at Oxford an all I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure employees wouldn't look down on applicants for doing foundation years - they'll care more about your degree grade
xxxtentacion..
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!

I found the work load for the foundation year quite challenging - but was sooo worth it and really fulfilling, and it means my 1st has been so much easier than what it would be without the foundation year It's given me a head start and means I'm not shucked in the deep end.

I doubt it'd decrease your employability, being at Oxford an all I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure employees wouldn't look down on applicants for doing foundation years - they'll care more about your degree grade
What is the student life like, including the work load? haha
Thats really great to hear though! What course are you doing?
I agree with the latter too, thank you for this!
tjgurwara99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi all,
I'm Taj, currently a foundation year student studying maths in LMH (2017-2018). This course is structured to help you be ready for university degree. This course has helped me in many ways. So, if you are here, chances are you want to apply or are at least thinking of applying. There's nothing to lose. So, please do apply if you think you meet the criteria.
If you have any question that are related to maths, LMH or Oxford in general, I'm happy to help and will try to answer as best as I can.
wwyeats
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, this seems like a fantastic opportunity! Any tips on making your essay, worthy for an interview for the foundation course?
_Hafsa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Hi, I am so glad I have found this opportunity, I hope to study law as well. I have a few questions if you don’t mind me asking;
What were your GCSEs and AS grades?
How are you finding the work so far, is it similar to an undergraduate Law degree?
When do you apply for first year? Would that be during the beginning of the foundation?
When applying to oxford as an external candidate, although you are on the foundation year, are you able to apply to colleges other than LMH?

Apologies for the spam of questions!
HannahBPrice
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Hi, I have already applied for this year for Engineering. I read that in the first term all STEM subjects are together; so what exactly do you do? Also, if I was the only engineer, would I be by myself for the rest of the year? Would I ever even go to the engineering building? To my knowledge nobody has done engineering through it yet, so you may not be too sure, but thanks in advance!
tjgurwara99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HannahBPrice)
Hi, I have already applied for this year for Engineering. I read that in the first term all STEM subjects are together; so what exactly do you do? Also, if I was the only engineer, would I be by myself for the rest of the year? Would I ever even go to the engineering building? To my knowledge nobody has done engineering through it yet, so you may not be too sure, but thanks in advance!
Hi,
I study maths so I am assuming Engineering would be similar to my course in structure. In the first term, all foundation year students do Academic Writing, which is essentially how to write your essays and articles for academic purposes. We also do General studies and Prep for undergrad, as the name suggests its more about general stuff. In the second term, academic writing splits into two strands: Science and Humanities. In the science strand, our essays and articles become more specific to our subject and we have a more freedom as to what we want to write about. Other than these subjects, we all do our respective subjects individually or in a group of 2-3 people. For example, I did physics and applied maths in my first term with 2 other students. I am not the only student doing Maths this year so I am not alone in any tutorials but there is only one physics student this year and he sometimes has his tutorials alone but he enjoys them. He also has tutorials with us for applied maths and I assume it would be similar for you too. So shouldn't worry about you being alone in tutorials.
The entry to engineering building totally depends on your tutors. They set up location and times that are suitable for you and/or them, so you might have some tutorials in the engineering building. So far I have only had one tutorial for physics in physics department building. All tutorials have mostly been inside the college and its pretty convenient for us. You can actually attend public seminars that are held in department buildings, so you can see the building if you want to. I personally like going to these seminars.
If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask me.
Cheers
howardbakerd123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xxxtentacion..)
What is the student life like, including the work load? haha
Thats really great to hear though! What course are you doing?
I agree with the latter too, thank you for this!
Hey! Sorry for the late reply!

It varies so much person to person and what course they're doing. I'm a music student For me personally, I really like student life at Oxford - terms are only 8 weeks and quite intense (I find it really fulfilling and makes me improve so much quicker), and you have loads of holiday time to chill and revise for exams. I find the workload can get quite stressful, but honestly so worth it
howardbakerd123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wwyeats)
Hello, this seems like a fantastic opportunity! Any tips on making your essay, worthy for an interview for the foundation course?
Hey! Most important thing is writing about stuff that interests you - if asked about it in the interview, it'll be so much easier to talk about it

In general, it's best to talk about ideas/concepts/arguments etc outside your syllabus - something unique and different

Best of luck with everything!
JessicaEMB
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I have recently applied, but am concerned whether or not you guys have received the email, as my emails often mess up. Will I get a confirmation email saying it's been received or not?
HannahBPrice
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JessicaEMB)
I have recently applied, but am concerned whether or not you guys have received the email, as my emails often mess up. Will I get a confirmation email saying it's been received or not?
I applied recently and personally received an email saying they were just waiting for my references. I’m not sure if they 100% reply but if you’re worried then you can always just ask them, I’m sure
JessicaEMB
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I applied recently and personally received an email saying they were just waiting for my references. I’m not sure if they 100% reply but if you’re worried then you can always just ask them, I’m sure
Thank you. What subject did you apply for?
HannahBPrice
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you. What subject did you apply for?
Engineering; my teacher really wanted me to apply to Oxbridge since I did a UNIQ summer school and this was the only way he managed to convince me aha. I didn’t wanna just jump into the deep end because it ain’t for everyone, you know? You?
JessicaEMB
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Engineering; my teacher really wanted me to apply to Oxbridge since I did a UNIQ summer school and this was the only way he managed to convince me aha. I didn’t wanna just jump into the deep end because it ain’t for everyone, you know? You?
I applied for Physics, so same sort of area. I just felt I was more suited to do the foundation year.
HannahBPrice
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I applied for Physics, so same sort of area. I just felt I was more suited to do the foundation year.
Well good luck! 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads